Mozaic West

vicupstate

The affordable aspect is not the issue. It is the density, mass, traffic and non-residential aspects.  The city is giving too much say to the residents in this case, IMO.  A six lane divided US highway can and should have a higher density than Perry Avenue.  This is a good project that has lots of positives and  little risk to the existing residents.  

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I appreciated reading about why the decision was deferred (via the P&C). I can at least respect the idea behind council's hesitation, but surely there is a zoning classification that would allow a similar development without being classified as C-4? I feel like this project aligns with council priorities, will enhance a gateway, and support a neighborhood's health by injecting a mixture of uses. Fingers crossed that they can find a path forward. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I sent an email to my the city council rep for my district (Lilian Brock Fleming) and two at large (Dorthy Dowe and Russell Stall).  Dorthy Dowe responded this morning, and I thought it was worth sharing here:

"Thanks for reaching out to share your support for the Mosaic project. I do believe that property will ultimately be developed but I am not supportive of the proposal to rezone the parcels to C4 at this time. Rather, I believe the new Greenville Development Code (GDC) which we are expecting a draft of in the next two weeks should govern this area. The new GDC for these parcels should be based on the West End Small Area Plan that was adopted by Council in 2021, incorporating the vision of this area primarily as a “cottage precinct”.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your perspective.

-Dorothy Dowe"

A cottage precinct doesn't sound like something that will significantly move the needle on the thousands of housing  units Greenville is going to need in the coming years.   

• Sad 1

On 11/15/2022 at 3:24 PM, gman said:

This article states the project was supposed to go before city council on November 28th for potential approval. Did that ever happen? 

2 hours ago, vicupstate said:

No. 

Ha. That figures. Maybe the developer finally gave up. Either that or they are planning to file a lawsuit against the city. 

I do find it funny that the city council is against a project that would provide affordable housing which is all they ever talk about. Pot meet kettle. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Ha. That figures. Maybe the developer finally gave up. Either that or they are planning to file a lawsuit against the city. 

I do find it funny that the city council is against a project that would provide affordable housing which is all they ever talk about. Pot meet kettle. 

They are still tweaking the project to lessen the opposition from neighbors. They still intend to return for council approval.   

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

This project along the Academy Street frontage would be zoned MX-3 under the new zoning law. Either 3 stories and 42 feet tall max or 5 stories and 68 feet tall max with bonus. Anybody know what they mean by “bonus?” Minimum 10 feet step back would be needed above the third floor if it went higher than that.

The portion of this project behind the Academy frontage would be zoned RN-A which is basically single family homes, townhomes, or small apartments. 2.5 stories or 35 feet in height max. Four dwellings per lot max also.

The new zoning law appears to be very consistent in what the developer wants to build. Due to this, they should wait for it to pass city council in March before trying to move forward with the project. 

Edited by gman430

6 hours ago, gman430 said:

This project along the Academy Street frontage would be zoned MX-3 under the new zoning law. Either 3 stories and 42 feet tall max or 5 stories and 68 feet tall max with bonus. Anybody know what they mean by “bonus?” Minimum 10 feet step back would be needed above the third floor if it went higher than that.

The portion of this project behind the Academy frontage would be zoned RN-A which is basically single family homes, townhomes, or small apartments. 2.5 stories or 35 feet in height max. Four dwellings per lot max also.

The new zoning law appears to be very consistent in what the developer wants to build. Due to this, they should wait for it to pass city council in March before trying to move forward with the project. 

Later on it says a bonus is if affordable housing is included. I believe 15% of units that are set for people with 80% of income. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...