North Gulch Gateway, (Tennessean site) Phase II: Gulch Central (41 story residential/hotel, 28 story office, 6 story mixed-use); Phase I: Asurion HQ (10 & 11 stories)

markhollin

57 minutes ago, Native said:

Still cool.  I am reacting to the emptiness across from the Exxon station where I have gotten gas hundreds of times.  63 years ago I started carrying the Tennessean and Banner in Green Hills and I have read the paper almost every day since.  To see the demise of newspapers in general, and particularly that one, makes me sad.  Guess I will just have to get accustomed to the online stuff, but it is not easy.

I'm just sad they tore it down and they're going to make a parking lot out of it.  Wish they already had a tenant ready to go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jamie Hall said:

At least in the meantime, that parking lot will be very appreciated in that part of the Gulch -- parking around there is a beast.

Tru dat.  My son and daughter-in-law tried to go to Pins on a Saturday night a few weeks ago and finally gave up looking for parking.  They drove away from downtown so some place with easier parking.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Good point. As someone who drinks though, I stay away from the driving, no sense in it. Especially if I was driving back to the burbs.

Good point, though my description would apply to small groups with a designated driver.  Drinking and Lyfting is so much more fun and part of the joy of living near downtown!  The only thing better is drinking and walking which can help burn off some of the excess calories.  When some college friends visited last October, they stayed at my place in The Gulch and we walked everywhere except for the Lyft to Von Elrod's.  Well worth it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr_Bond said:

or drive to a free parking space somewhere and take a Lyft from there.  These are the lessons we're learning as the city grows.  

My favorite place to do this is along Music Row. Ample on free on street parking and a plethora of rideshar cars within a couple minutes of requesting a ride. The ride into downtown from there is $6-7 or so and fast. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Noticed that an excavator was moved from the Tennessean site to the Flank Hotel site about three weeks ago and hasn't been moved since. That was about when the construction barrier went around the Flank site. Is construction going to start soon on the hotel?

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2020 at 4:17 PM, Mr_Bond said:

People who drive in from Mt. Juliet, Franklin, Spring Hill, Gallatin and such do not take a Lyft or Uber.  They go straight to the restaurant/venue and look for a place to park.  After the frustration of not finding a place, they either leave and go somewhere else or drive to a free parking space somewhere and take a Lyft from there.  These are the lessons we're learning as the city grows.  Those of us who frequent downtown know how to do these little tricks but those who live in the suburbs and come downtown infrequently get frustrated because 'Nashville is just too big now.'

There is free curbside and garage parking at Capitol View and the Farmer's Market. You can then get around town on free circulator buses. The first one and a half hours is free at the library. You can park free at the stadium, walk across the pedestrian bridge, then use the free circulator buses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, archilove said:

There is free curbside and garage parking at Capitol View and the Farmer's Market. You can then get around town on free circulator buses. The first one and a half hours is free at the library. You can park free at the stadium, walk across the pedestrian bridge, then use the free circulator buses.

The circulator busses no longer run, unfortunately 

1 hour ago, downtownresident said:

The circulator busses no longer run, unfortunately 

What??  That's a big disappointment.  The seven dollars per year the city was spending on mass transit was just too extravagant, I guess.  

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Haha 1

I know it's hard to keep up with all that's going on in the city, but I figured people this plugged in would know about the WeGo operating shortfall and the subsequent realignment and cancelling of routes, including the free circulators, which went into effect last fall. 

The city has not increased spending on WeGo for three straight years, hence the operating budget shortfall. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just don't get it. Either a city promotes the pedestrian/transit options in its core, or it doesn't.  As small as it is, Chattanooga has not had (operational) issues with funding its free circulator. On the contrary, due to its success there's a very real possibility that our downtown will soon see rail transit because of the success of our circulator and tourist attraction.  Not surprisingly our downtown continues to expand in development and activity.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Nashvillain said:

I know it's hard to keep up with all that's going on in the city, but I figured people this plugged in would know about the WeGo operating shortfall and the subsequent realignment and cancelling of routes, including the free circulators, which went into effect last fall. 

The city has not increased spending on WeGo for three straight years, hence the operating budget shortfall. 

Yup. The circulator was an unfortunate loss due to budget concerns. Given the mayors attitude toward downtown, I don’t foresee them coming back anytime soon. 

• Like 1

Afraid this could be 'fallow' for a long time.  I think the election of John Cooper at this time is most unfortunate for the trajectory that Nashville has found itself in recent years. I'm referring specifically to a site like the Tennessean lot... and coming from Atlanta, I can tell you that each boom was built upon a spark such as a relocation of a big company. That goes back to early post WW2 (or before if you count Delta Airlines).  I love to study the growth of cities and can tell you that the Amazon selection of Nashville was HUGE... but what would be even larger would be the 'ripple effect'.  I'm afraid that Cooper's administration has already done a lot of damage... insofar as tempering the momentum just as it's starting to build. I hope I'm wrong b/c I think Nashville is one of the most unique, charming, beautiful and welcoming cities anywhere (especially in the South)... but I also know its history. I know there was a lot of resistance to several post WW2 growth initiatives. I've heard stories of Beverly Briley giving major hell to the Belle Meade establishment in the 1960s for going out of town (Atlanta, NYC, LA, etc.) to shop and spend money. I don't know a lot about him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was very instrumental in bridging the gulf between Music Row and Belle Meade... two major money sources in the local economy. I'm fascinated by the stories of the hick hillbilly overgrown town of Nashville suddenly spreading its wings in the 1960s/70s.  But I can't say I know first hand...  I came along much later. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Afraid this could be 'fallow' for a long time.  I think the election of John Cooper at this time is most unfortunate for the trajectory that Nashville has found itself in recent years. I'm referring specifically to a site like the Tennessean lot... and coming from Atlanta, I can tell you that each boom was built upon a spark such as a relocation of a big company. That goes back to early post WW2 (or before if you count Delta Airlines).  I love to study the growth of cities and can tell you that the Amazon selection of Nashville was HUGE... but what would be even larger would be the 'ripple effect'.  I'm afraid that Cooper's administration has already done a lot of damage... insofar as tempering the momentum just as it's starting to build. I hope I'm wrong b/c I think Nashville is one of the most unique, charming, beautiful and welcoming cities anywhere (especially in the South)... but I also know its history. I know there was a lot of resistance to several post WW2 growth initiatives. I've heard stories of Beverly Briley giving major hell to the Belle Meade establishment in the 1960s for going out of town (Atlanta, NYC, LA, etc.) to shop and spend money. I don't know a lot about him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was very instrumental in bridging the gulf between Music Row and Belle Meade... two major money sources in the local economy. I'm fascinated by the stories of the hick hillbilly overgrown town of Nashville suddenly spreading its wings in the 1960s/70s.  But I can't say I know first hand...  I came along much later. 

Mr. Brumby, to learn more about Mayor Briley, I suggest your read the book, "Murder in Music City." 

• Like 1