North Gulch Gateway, (Tennessean site) Phase II: Gulch Central (41 story residential/hotel, 28 story office, 6 story mixed-use); Phase I: Asurion HQ (10 & 11 stories)

markhollin

11 minutes ago, Sean blackdog said:

Update from Nashville Business Journal. 
Sad news. :cry:

The title can be easily misinterpreted as laying off hundreds in Nashville. Yet the body of the article makes clear there is NO indication whether the layoffs will affect Asurion Nashville.  

• Thanks 4

11 hours ago, Flatrock said:

The title can be easily misinterpreted as laying off hundreds in Nashville. Yet the body of the article makes clear there is NO indication whether the layoffs will affect Asurion Nashville.  

They have layoffs constantly, then rehire in short order. Many companies are like this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Luvemtall said:

NBJ seems to like drama!! You need to read their stories with a gain of salt. Just like the Amazon story made people think that we were about to have a unfinished building collecting dust . 

Yeah, NBJ is trying to get those clicks: click bait. Not a good look.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

NBJ seems to like drama!! You need to read their stories with a gain of salt. Just like the Amazon story made people think that we were about to have a unfinished building collecting dust . 

Yup. Maybe trying to reduce their SG&A in preparation for going public? Optics. Not very nice, but very  common.

Edited by Flatrock
Clarity
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 10:02 PM, Flatrock said:

My comment might be better placed in the Economic Conditions thread, but the U.S. is probably already in recession and inflation is hurting everyone.  If people delay buying new phones and other electronics, then Asurion would see a drop in revenue.

Asurion Nashville did have direct impacts to the job loss.  I still have friends that work there and yesterday was a very crapty day at the company.   Asurion expanded quickly with brick and mortar repair business (buying companies) and also a fleet of repair vehicles.  Some speculate those rapid growth decisions were not the best.  I do believe this is more about the economy/recession than preparing to go public.

• Like 3

FWIW...Seems to indicate approximately 40 souls (and their dependents) impacted across TN - if the article is accurate.  I have good friends there, as well. 

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2022/07/20/asurion-one-nashvilles-largest-private-companies-lays-off-hundreds/10105831002/

From 'The Tennessean'

""Job cuts will affect one percent of the company's Tennessee workforce", Asurion stated. While the company employs more than 4,000 Nashville workers, it's unclear how many are across the state. "

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

Yeah, been eagerly awaiting this one. Needs to be done , to finish out that whole district!! 

Agreed.  It closes the gap and connects the original CBD to the 12th St. cluster which in turn reaches across 40 to Midtown and awaits the handshake from Beaman, Reed, and now the dairy site.  In my mind, it's height will connect to the new height brought by NY, the circle projects, and the tall stuff going into the Midtown stuff to really turbo boost our skyline.  Smh, I just can't wait!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, nashville born said:

Gulch Central, May 6, 2021, render 1.png

Still clinging to hope for this project.  Buckingham was my strike one.  Feeling like Circle South might be my strike two.  Please Highwoods, don't make me strike out.

Something big will go there eventually…if not this.  And…that gas station is gonna be a big tower one day, too.

• Like 4

Phase 2's residential/hotel component is absolutely still in demand, but with the excess capacity in Nashville's office/commercial market, as well as the sewer work going in along Grundy St a block north of this lot, there's plenty of things that could be causing the slow-roll here.

What's Highwoods building currently? Are they just sequencing projects? Are they waiting for a few tower cranes to free up?

I like this project, I just don't like the design of the high rise buildings. For this to be a major high rise project on broadway street, The buildings should have a much better design than this. So I actually hope that it doesn't get built, and they sell the land to  somebody else and hopefully they can have a project built that's better looking.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, High Rise Lover said:

I like this project, I just don't like the design of the high rise buildings. For this to be a major high rise project on broadway street, The buildings should have a much better design than this. So I actually hope that it doesn't get built, and they sell the land to  somebody else and hopefully they can have a project built that's better looking.

I tend to agree with the architecture as it is a little more of the same as Nashville standards go. I would not say they are bad looking buildings though as they are solid in design. I just think it is time for Hastings to up their game a little as a lot of the projects they have done here looks alike. The do great work and I do realize a lot of this falls back on the client so much of the blame can't fall there but some does. Highwoods does not think outside the box much and a lot of their projects seem to be not very impressive except the ones they have bought off other companies like the PPG center in Pittsburg. 

Like most any developer they probably build to sell the property in a certain number of years. Highwoods is by no means one of the biggest boys on the block as they are just a regional player in just 8 markets or so.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/17/2022 at 9:59 AM, nashville born said:

Gulch Central, May 6, 2021, render 1.png

Still clinging to hope for this project.  Buckingham was my strike one.  Feeling like Circle South might be my strike two.  Please Highwoods, don't make me strike out.

This project is beginning to feel like Lake Palmer 2.0 without the water.   But if that is true doesn't it bode even worse for the Reed and Beaman sites?