Rosa Parks Circle

joeDowntown

This is a bit of a fluff piece, but the article touches the surface on some of the upgrades to Rosa Parks Circle. Sounds like some of the materials Maya Lin proposed initially, that got value engineered out (granite seats instead of concrete), etc. are being added to the project. Also looks like the bathroom area is being re-cladded, upgraded stage, etc. 

there’s also a conservancy set up to preserving/ maintaining it in the future. 

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2021/05/popular-downtown-gathering-spot-rosa-parks-circle-closed-until-fall-for-renovations-improvements.html

Joe

This is great, but it stinks that it's happening a year after we lost a summer's worth of RPC to the pandemic. That's two summers in a row without downtown's main gathering place featuring much gathering.

Also it's funny that this is proceeding while nothing happens to Lyon Square or Calder Plaza.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Khorasaurus1 said:

This is great, but it stinks that it's happening a year after we lost a summer's worth of RPC to the pandemic. That's two summers in a row without downtown's main gathering place featuring much gathering.

Also it's funny that this is proceeding while nothing happens to Lyon Square or Calder Plaza.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Hindsight is 20/20, but it would have been ideal if they could have worked on this last summer when the city was basically mothballed. :)

Joe

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anybody have a clue what is going on here? I swear there hasn't been any activity on it since June when they  tore up the "rings".  Such a shame to have that space and Relax at Rosa go unused all summer, and likely for Art Prize, when its just sitting there untouched....for months...

56 minutes ago, discgrab21 said:

Anybody have a clue what is going on here? I swear there hasn't been any activity on it since June when they  tore up the "rings".  Such a shame to have that space and Relax at Rosa go unused all summer, and likely for Art Prize, when its just sitting there untouched....for months...

Yeah, the granite got delayed (the same supply chain issues everyone has been having). So I think It's supposed to finish up in Late October?

Joe

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Yeah, the granite got delayed (the same supply chain issues everyone has been having). So I think It's supposed to finish up in Late October?

Joe

Thanks for the response. I figured it might be a labor issue. I guess I hadn't heard much about continuing supply chain issues for a while now, other than the semiconductors. 

On 8/27/2021 at 4:19 PM, discgrab21 said:

Thanks for the response. I figured it might be a labor issue. I guess I hadn't heard much about continuing supply chain issues for a while now, other than the semiconductors. 

The supply chain for manufacturing and construction is still majorly effed up, maybe for good. For instance, try to buy a Whirlpool appliance right now. Forgettaboutit. Or a hot tub. Or ceramic tile flooring. 

I know someone who works in logistics/supply chain for Stryker and they said it's a really bad situation. They just cannot get enough manufacturing workers, no matter how much they pay. 

6 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

The supply chain for manufacturing and construction is still majorly effed up, maybe for good. For instance, try to buy a Whirlpool appliance right now. Forgettaboutit. Or a hot tub. Or ceramic tile flooring. 

I know someone who works in logistics/supply chain for Stryker and they said it's a really bad situation. They just cannot get enough manufacturing workers, no matter how much they pay. 

Yep - When I read Discgrabs comment, I thought "what ISN'T messed up right now". COVID basically took a world manufacturing process with VERY short lead times from component to component and pulled the emergency brake. It's going to take 16-18 months for things to catch up, and certain industries will be messed up for much longer. 

Joe

47 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Yep - When I read Discgrabs comment, I thought "what ISN'T messed up right now". COVID basically took a world manufacturing process with VERY short lead times from component to component and pulled the emergency brake. It's going to take 16-18 months for things to catch up, and certain industries will be messed up for much longer. 

Joe

The labor quandery has been building for the last 10+ years, and Covid definitely pushed it over the edge.  The push to have people study trades and "skilled manufacturing" is all a bit too late. That combined with major restrictions on immigration and we should have seen this coming. Although many did see it coming and like a freight train with no brakes, there's nothing that can be done to fix it. Just paying higher doesn't necessarily work, because that just drives up the prices of everything (inflation). Have you gone out to eat lately? Restricted menus, mediocre service, and HUGE bills. A party of 4 with dinner and drinks is easily $150.00.