The Tree

Quote of reply I received from the City of Orlando parks department: 

"

Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2021 10:54 AM
To: John L Perrone <[email protected]>; Daniel Cluley 
Subject: Re: Specimen Tree?

John, Mr. Cluley,

There is a 33 floor residential project planned for this parcel.
Retail areas on ground floor, office space.

It is called 389 North Orange (name may have changed), and I'm
afraid the tree and the lot (which would have made a nice downtown park)
is doomed.

We could designate the tree Historic and Specimen, but it will not change
the outcome.

Andy

"

I think I might hop a fence and stir some emotions. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Sad 1

What if, instead of adopting a defeatist stance of this as a Fait Accompli, we just try to designate the tree as a specimen tree anyway. That way, if the proposed development fails, they will take it into account for any future development/plans.

Trying to be an optimist.

- Dan

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

What if, instead of adopting a defeatist stance of this as a Fait Accompli, we just try to designate the tree as a specimen tree anyway. That way, if the proposed development fails, they will take it into account for any future development/plans.

Trying to be an optimist.

- Dan

It would be interesting to know the back story of what led Andy to such a pessimistic view.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/14/2021 at 5:27 PM, dcluley98 said:

1182437714_Treetwitter.PNG.c653566f0df7bc8e36519b1af9031357.PNG

email your friends, relatives, and local polititians, hahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I will bother them until they care. 

tree email.PNG

Omg that things huge!!! I hadn't seen the tree before, but now I understand the movement to save it. I'm going to be contacting my local rep to voice my support for relocating it.

If the Bungalower guy still checks the forums, we'd all appreciate an article pushing to move the tree.

Edited by WAJAS
  • Like 1

Latest appreciation/suggestion letter to the nice Parks Department Gentleman we have been bothering so much:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hello Again, Andy,

First of all, thank you so much for listening to me and taking the time to consider and analyze options to save this tree. I really appreciate your efforts and hope it is worthwile!

I live and work in downtown Orlando and truly care about preserving the tree and green environment of downtown. Having ridden or walked by this every weekday for about 5 years or so, I felt it was definitely worth trying to save.  It is similar in stature and presence to other trees such as the tree at Constitution Green, the creeping Live Oak on the south shore of Lake Eola between the Sperry and Linton E. Allen fountains, and the tree along Palmetto Avenue that was saved.  (and those are just the DT ones, love the ones at Lock Haven an Big Tree park as well, but the DT environment is even more at risk).

Suffice to say, I like trees, and obviously I am not the only one. A lot of people have been admiring this tree and discussing if it is able to find a way to save it online (many of whom are also involved in the local development and AEC community and jobs, and most of home live and work downtown). We have come together to think about options and maybe bring awareness of the tree because we care and want to at least try to explore alternatives. I would have felt bad if I did not at least try.

I understand that this is a long shot and the feasibility and cost involved as well as logistics is perhaps a hopeless cause. However, I had to try.  Other potential options of much less costly or more feasible sites could be near the courthouse or at the OUC property nearby.   I am just glad that for now the proposed development has stalled and we perhaps have an opportunity to get in front of this to find a way to save the tree before it is too late.  Other potential options we thought about that would be much easier and also involve local municipal and potential partners are the Orange County Courthouse, and the potential OUC property, within blocks of the current site.

image.thumb.jpeg.fa21a0afe5357e7031b3264ad56fe794.jpeg

That area on the NW corner of Magnolia and Livingston with the courthouse parking lot has several deciduous trees that it could go with. Another area I thought about was the area south of the city CHW plant at State Lane, which I believe was slated for an electric vehicle charging station built by OUC.  That would fit really well with preserving a tree!

We aren't experts or anything, but just like others, like the Urban Land Trust raising funds to expand the park, or those in the parks department or those that live and work downtown, we just want to see the green space preserved and think it is a priority to try to find a way.

Thanks again for your efforts and expertise in this, and I hope it means something. If it is not possible to save, at least there was an effort made, and they know that we care. And perhaps just getting the awareness of it out there and get the ball rolling to think about it and that it matters can make a difference in the future. That's really what the goal was in bringing this up to everybody.

Lignum vitae,

- Dan

Edited by dcluley98

If anybody is involved with the Orlando Urban Land Trust or knows folks at OUC construction that may be involved with the planned EV charging station development, feel free to contact. (Going to do my ongoing research and blanket approach myself still, but help would be appreciated, LOL). 

I am going to go take some more photos and maybe @IAmFloridaBorncan try to take some too. 

Going to have to get some good images and story to compel. 

Going to have to find the right people to compel/annoy. 

Going to have to find the money.  

If there is one thing about sales that I have learned, it is that if given no opportunities, there is only one outcome. 

If offering two opportunities, the one perceived best will be chosen. 

If offerring multiple opportunities, the choice becomes harder to decide, and the benefits will be weighed, so a spectrum of choice may confusing but advantageous to both deciding parties to create an ideal outcome. 

Edited by dcluley98

Official designation as either a Specimen or Historic Tree shall require 268 a site visit, tree evaluation, and a letter of evaluation and recommendation filed in 269 the City of Orlando Tree Inventory. Designation as a Specimen or Historic Tree 270 may occur in any of the following ways:

http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2014/03/LandscapeCodeFinal2013-12-09.pdf

image.png.a007d892a6fce65206febd08d4242a2a.png

(b)

Historic Trees. Historic Trees shall be described as any healthy tree with a trunk caliper of 30" dbh or more. . . 

Hmmmmm. . . 

Let's see what us asking for the evaluation of a potential move by a third-party assessor will say about the trunk caliper and canopy and whether that may change things, according to the city codes. . . 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

Yep. This one: 

image.thumb.png.8761f50692c962917d6e880ca0b5b1aa.png

Got another reply from Andy today:

"

Thank you for the alternative planting site options. 
It is a very large tree, some pruning is possible to make it easier to deal with, 
but it is still a very big potted plant to move around.

I have floated the courthouse idea already (others up the totem pole need to
make the ask to O.C.).

I will update the email stream with these new suggestions. And we will look them over in the field for feasibility.

Thanks for being an aware tree lover.
A"

So it sounds like they are exploring options with Orange county about the courthouse locations.  This would be really cool if we could make this happen! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2021 at 3:33 PM, FLheat said:

There has also been a recent void in Lake Eola where they cut down a similar sized tree next to the duck pond on the north side of the lake.  It would be nice to have a shade tree back in that location.

This is sad to hear. Such trees have always been used as a date mascot for lovers. It is customary for us to tie bright ribbons on the third date. This is done by both teens and adult couples with Maturetenders. I once asked in the general chat and found a man who was 62 and he still remembers hanging ribbons with his girl in high school)) Usually the department spares money for replanting mature trees. A new tree will only be like this in many years(  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...