Greenville City Hall

gman

38 minutes ago, motonenterprises said:

Need to do this to the Landmark building.

It's 97%+ occupied, according to my quick search. If that #'s correct, there'll be no recladding of that building. Those of you who want that to happen will have to hope for it to empty out and sell for a song.

2 hours ago, Exile said:

It's 97%+ occupied, according to my quick search. If that #'s correct, there'll be no recladding of that building. Those of you who want that to happen will have to hope for it to empty out and sell for a song.

It would look much better. The tallest building in Greenville shouldn't be the ugliest one. Lol.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, motonenterprises said:

Need to do this to the Landmark building.

My thoughts EXACTLY! It's way uglier than city hall and more prominent. The side of the rendering looks kinda interesting but they didn't do anything with the white elevator shaft. That looks even more out of place in the rendering than it does presently. Gotta do something different with that or the rest will be a waste of money and time.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, distortedlogic said:

I mean these headlines are cool and all but most of us can't read these articles. Summary please?

FWIW, I pay $13.99 for an online print edition of the P&C, that includes the editions for Greenville, Columbia, Myrtle Beach and Charleston. It is worth every penny, and I promise you will not regret spending the money, especially if you want to read real journalism. 

11 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

I mean these headlines are cool and all but most of us can't read these articles. Summary please?

Scuttled plans to move City Hall from its current downtown location of five decades to a spot on the periphery of Falls Park are back on the table.

City leaders will hear recommendations on whether to move, or stay and renovate the current 10-story tower. An agenda item for a March 13 City Council workshop meeting lists “acquisition/disposition of city property” as the lone item to consider in open session. 

Mayor Knox White confirmed to The Post and Courier that the item involves hearing staff recommendations on the future of Greenville City Hall.

After the city finalized the plans for the new public safety headquarters on Halton Road, White said, it revisited City Hall. The city has been exploring its options for months and is now prepared to formally consider next steps.

White said the factors that will carry the most weight in the decision are cost, public parking availability, the ability to establish City Council chambers on the ground floor and flexible workspace for employees.

Cost projections at the time indicated renovations to Bowater, which is about 20 years newer than the current City Hall, would be significantly less (millions of dollars) expensive than renovating the South Main tower.

Edited by gman430
  • Thanks 4

On 3/10/2023 at 5:09 PM, distortedlogic said:

Just clear your browsing history and you might be able to see the article.  It’s the same proposal as before: moving to the Bowater building.

I dream of City Hall being demolished or totally remodeled, including on the exterior, and the large parking lot across the street being developed into a beautiful and large mixed-use building with destination retail on the ground floor.

I joined late to the call, anyone have notes on what the proposed path forward is?

It looked like they were proposing taking the current building at 206 S Main basically down to the studs and expanding and adding 6(?) floors and redesigning the exterior.  When this building was designed, the foundation was overengineered which is enabling this expansion under current codes.  The first 5 floors will be city hall, the next 5ish will be general office space, then the next 5 will be residential.  During the construction period, city hall will temporarily be at 55 E Camperdown.

Someone who watched the whole thing let me know if I bungled that lol

Edit: ahh I see, the city will have the option of moving back to the first five floors, but the city is contemplating just moving away permanently and letting this building be entirely private.

Edited by NewlyUpstate

6 minutes ago, NewlyUpstate said:

I joined late to the call, anyone have notes on what the proposed path forward is?

It looked like they were proposing taking the current building at 206 S Main basically down to the studs and expanding and adding 6(?) floors and redesigning the exterior.  When this building was designed, the foundation was overengineered which is enabling this expansion under current codes.  The first 5 floors will be city hall, the next 5ish will be general office space, then the next 5 will be residential.  During the construction period, city hall will temporarily be at 55 E Camperdown.

Someone who watched the whole thing let me know if I bungled that lol

Six floors to be added to current building. M Peters is developer. Condos and office space. City has option to move into first five floors of building once complete or they can stay at Bowater building for good if they decide to move there which would cost $1.7 million less than moving back to their current building. 

Edited by gman430

Earle Furman recommended the city accept the M. Peters Company RFP.

City will surrender use of floors 6-10 of the current City Hall. These would become new office space.  The basement would be converted to parking. The city would retain use of the lowest 5 floors.

Six floors would be added to the current City Hall for condominiums. 

The building would be gutted to the studs and the exterior glass would be replaced with clear glass.  Other exterior changes as well.    

The city would buy the bottom two floors of 55 Camperdown (Bowater) and Council Chambers would be on the first floor. The city would control the land around the building and the building signage. 

image.thumb.png.cdc43a75e60441411196fbeef731c8b8.png

image.png.c1c5a0081d8ce3940d1c4192d3512376.png

image.png.82a2036b5adbeb0d3960b63c0d91a1d8.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So that NAI Earle Furman RFP I posted was legit then. Good to see. I’m curious as to what the other developers proposed especially Hughes. M Peters is also the developer behind the large mixed use development coming to downtown Spartanburg. 

313B7626-0DA4-402C-B56E-E112B6CBB0E2.jpeg

9E235369-E724-4E0A-BF46-0BD238C828B2.jpeg

14553533-AF72-4693-9649-7202E2D784B0.jpeg

Edited by gman430