The Sinclair, 27 stories, 315', 334 residential units; 31,500 sq. ft. retail; 13,040 sq. ft. restaurant; underground garage

markhollin

• markhollin changed the title to 2416 West End, 27 stories, 374 ft., 320 residential units; 31,5000 sq. ft. retail; 13,040 sq. ft. restaurant; underground garage

1 hour ago, downtownresident said:

The intersection is addressed in the document Smeagolsfree linked. Apparently that intersection was studied/modeled and the current configuration is better than the alternatives. 

Thanks!

The relevant block appears to be this:

"1. Was a re-aligning of 25th Ave analyzed?
Response: Multiple alternative scenarios were analyzed at the intersection of West End Avenue and 25th Avenue. These alternatives most notably included a realignment of the intersection to allow all turning/through movements from all approaches. Furthermore, alternative scenarios that allowed certain individual movements that are currently restricted to become operational were also analyzed. Another alternative scenario that included removing the connected traffic signal at the intersection of Elliston Place and 25th Avenue was analyzed. This scenario would modify the southbound approach of 25th Avenue to become stop-controlled. After an evaluation of the alternatives, it was determined that these adjustments would not create a more favorable situation for vehicles or pedestrians at the intersection. Additionally, it was considered that northbound/southbound through movements at this intersection may create a heavily-utilized connection through Vanderbilt’s campus. This situation would not be ideal due to heavy pedestrian activity on campus in this area. Therefore, it was decided that a significant modification to the alignment and operations at the intersection was not advisable. KCI can provide analysis results for these alternatives, if requested."

I think I get the argument here about preventing a large influx of through traffic into the heart of Vanderbilt's campus, which is already accessible through better car routes on 21st Ave and Natchez Trace, with pedestrians already able to cross the existing intersection just fine.

The proximity of the 25th and Elliston intersection to the West End intersection remains frustrating, but it looks like they couldn't find any better alternative for that, either. I don't have one either, short of making a portion of 25th Ave N one-way and banning the immediate left-turn coming from West End onto Elliston and then onto 25th, which doesn't work because there's no alternate route going north until 23rd.

I'd love to see the analysis results if they end up releasing them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Well in NYC, all they are building are glass towers so we may as well just be content with that for a while until the trend changes. We can hope for just different shapes like this one, The Pinnacle tower, 800 Lea, and hopefully others to come. At least some of the last announced have not been boring glass boxes. We have been wanting more exciting shapes and now we are getting that.

Now if some of the smaller infill buildings are masonry, that will break up the hodge podge of the glass towers that are being built. Diversity of buildings really help and we are building from a blank slate in some areas like the East Bank. I am excited to see what happens there.

I find intriguing this psychological need to believe that Nashville has built nothing but glass boxes. Even when its obvious that it's poppycock, it keeps getting repeated. The pathology is fascinating to observe. Besides what city doesn't have buildings that have four corners. Truly mindnumbing.

Edited by Licec
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, abravo56 said:

It’s definitely a great shape and I can’t wait to see it built. I guess with all the talk of it being such a prominent gateway site, I just hoped for something a little more iconic for Nashville.

On the plus side, yay density! Always love to see new homes for new neighbors!

Also, new bike lanes on Elliston?? Yes please! Street parking on the inside of the bike lane? Nah. Five freaking levels of garage plus a new back street, no need jam in more street parking rather than protect the bike lane. Hopefully that’s something that will be fixed. 

Unfortunately the street parking is called for by the MCSP. They should honestly put the street parking on the other side of the bike lane, or else the bike lane will be perpetually blocked like the one on Demonbreun Hill. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

Unfortunately the street parking is called for by the MCSP. They should honestly put the street parking on the other side of the bike lane, or else the bike lane will be perpetually blocked like the one on Demonbreun Hill. 

Exactly. A parking protected bike lane at minimum should be the standard. 

• Like 3

The Vanderbilt Tower, Graduate Hotel, and Hampton Inn are not commercial residence or office buildings. The developers know they can't charge top dollar to people or businesses with brick buildings. Those guys know what their big money customers want. And it ain't brick buildings. When businesses or people show their clients or family members where they live and work, they want them to think they are big time. Brick ain't big time. The funny thing is if Nashville was full of old timey brick buildings there would be complaints about it nonstop.

Edited by Licec

Question for the ARCHITECTS here: Is there a siding that resembles very closely a brick exterior but doesn't require the labor and can be applied to a tall building like other materials? 

Before the Vandy tower, the last brick tower I know of was one built in Atlanta about 30 years ago.

The 1355 Peachtree Building

cbk?cb_client=maps_sv.tactile&authuser=0&hl=en&gl=us&output=thumbnail&thumb=2&w=345&h=170&pitch=-28.757081032377172&ll=33.79127241889426%2C-84.38554400541581&panoid=RcHROEoe4qsbQw0ydyYkgw&yaw=23.563641057469223

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, titanhog said:

No one is clamoring for a skyscraper to be all brick.  We’re talking brick accents…or stonework.

I'm sure architects would love to do more of this stuff. The unfortunate truth is it is just wildly expensive and probably doesn't add a whole lot to the leasing of the space. Glass box simply = more leasable square footage.

That being said excited to see this one get creative and break the mold. Looks beautiful from the park and a statement driving in through West End.

• Like 4

Interesting. The only buildings that could be considered glass boxes are AllianceBernstein, The Place, 2010, Amazon 2, 1201, 1212, Kinnect, and Broadwest Condos. Those all turned out to be great. Eight buildings out of over 50 seem to be causing so much hysteria. Fascinating.

4 hours ago, Licec said:

The Vanderbilt Tower, Graduate Hotel, and Hampton Inn are not commercial residence or office buildings. The developers know they can't charge top dollar to people or businesses with brick buildings. Those guys know what their big money customers want. And it ain't brick buildings. When businesses or people show their clients or family members where they live and work, they want them to think they are big time. Brick ain't big time. The funny thing is if Nashville was full of old timey brick buildings there would be complaints about it nonstop.

333 11th Avenue South is an example where some didn't like a brick building being allowed to be built in the middle of a modern environment. The term 'hideous' was used

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

Masonry is a very unique aesthetic that tends to come with alot of weight. The closest I have seen to real brick, but isnt, is actually EIFS/Stucco that is scored and painted accordingly. Unfortunately, that can be a pretty tedious labor process. There is also precast panels that can be used, but again we are coming back to a masonry type material that requires more framing and support. Glazing is such a great cost alternative because it offers so much. The aesthetic appeal of floor to ceiling windows and the practical appeal of a weather barrier, wall framing and finished facade all in one. Not to mention with the taller buildings the glazing systems can be unitized and attached to the buildings in larger pieces. So much effencey is hard to find otherwise.

Welcome to the daily battle of architects.... Not only is this a constant battle, but the notion of "sustainable" design (that term has been so overused it is pitiful), system(s) design etc. 

I would even developers wish they could build something that would leave a lasting impression…but once they see the budget, all of the extras get thrown to the wayside.   I would have to think that some of these really cool designs that are built in world-class cities are mainly built by someone with a little bit of ego and deep pockets…because obviously, they spared no expense. 

• Like 2

On 7/1/2021 at 2:03 PM, Licec said:

I believe people are just wanting to see more diversity in the designs of future buildings. There has been an inordinate amount of uninspiring glass boxes, and I get why, it's cheaper that way. It's the same reason developers are putting tall skinny houses all over Nashville. They can build them quicker and they'll sell. I'm glad that we get buildings like 505, but it would be nice to see something where the architect doesn't go "ok, so we're going to take the shape of a rectangle, cover each floor in glass, then repeat that step 30-40 more times until we top out." Designs like this one at least breaks that mold and gives us something interesting to look at. The more features, the more you want to look at it. 

• Like 3