The Sinclair, 27 stories, 315', 334 residential units; 31,500 sq. ft. retail; 13,040 sq. ft. restaurant; underground garage

markhollin

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2021 at 10:28 AM, markhollin said:

NashvilleNowNext's coverage of the 2416 West End announcement:

https://nashvillenownext.com/2021/07/06/nownext-fresh-renderings-reveal-the-proposed-mixed-use-tower-in-midtown-nashville/

Some more zoomed-in versions of the renderings:

2416 West End, July 6, 2021, render 1.png

2416 West End, July 6, 2021, render 2.png

2416 West End, July 6, 2021, render 3.png

Great looking deign, too bad it's not 800ft instead of 370ft. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, downtownresident said:

One of the conditions for approval is for GBT to conduct a “road diet study for 25th Avenue / Elliston Place / Church Street from West End Avenue George L Davis Boulevard. The analysis will include all signalized intersections and any other key intersection.” 

Didn't Metro just restripe Church Street from 19th to the interstate? Is this an implicit admission that turned out to be a hot mess? And how do you road diet Elliston when it's already two lanes and a TWLTL?

47 minutes ago, PruneTracy said:

Didn't Metro just restripe Church Street from 19th to the interstate? Is this an implicit admission that turned out to be a hot mess? And how do you road diet Elliston when it's already two lanes and a TWLTL?

Church Street flows much better in my experience with the added turn lanes. 

2 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

Eliminate the parking on Elliston will be a start I will bet. Just guessing. That’s what they did on Church.

8 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

5 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Eliminate the parking on Elliston will be a start I will bet. Just guessing. That’s what they did on Church.

It looks like they have combined the left turn lane with the center turn lane to make room for the bike lanes based on the picture. I do believe currently the left turn lane is separate on Ellison and the center turn lane is just striped off next to it.

6 minutes ago, UrbanWes03 said:

It looks like they have combined the left turn lane with the center turn lane to make room for the bike lanes based on the picture. I do believe currently the left turn lane is separate on Ellison and the center turn lane is just striped off next to it.

That appears to be the plan. Here is the current condition of the site from the plan I linked earlier: 

1838D38F-7585-40B0-AEDD-AB4A9C713CBA.thumb.jpeg.80769c216b331aaa8a5b20828d6ce9a8.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, downtownresident said:

I brought this up in my comments to Planning when I emailed them. I doubt they’ll actually listen. 

What is needed to make “bike lane between the parallel parked cars and the curb” the default for any new bike lane, unless a waiver is granted for a particular situation? Does a regulation need to be revised or written and approved? This seems like a no brainer.  What am I missing?  Thx for anyone’s thoughts. 

• Like 1

• markhollin changed the title to 2416 West End, 27 stories, 374 ft., 320 residential units; 31,500 sq. ft. retail; 13,040 sq. ft. restaurant; underground garage
1 hour ago, BNAfan said:

What is needed to make “bike lane between the parallel parked cars and the curb” the default for any new bike lane, unless a waiver is granted for a particular situation? Does a regulation need to be revised or written and approved? This seems like a no brainer.  What am I missing?  Thx for anyone’s thoughts. 

• They're really wide, especially with the buffer zone (that's intended to keep car doors from swinging into the bike lane). Not many streets have sufficient width to accommodate bike lanes, buffers, parallel parking, and travel lanes even in a road diet scenario. Note that 13th Street in Philly (the street in @AronG's photo) is 40 feet wide curb-to-curb but has one 12-foot-wide travel lane.
  • Physical barriers between the parking and the bike lane tend to be maintenance-intensive or present drainage or trip hazards. The flexible delineators (like shown) get run over, curbs redirect stormwater, and the short barriers are trip hazards for people exiting their vehicles.
  • At intersections the parked vehicles present sight distance issues both with vehicles and pedestrians, even where parking ends some distance away from the intersection. This (along with the curbs) is an ongoing issue in Chattanooga on Broad Street.
  • Setting aside the average driver's parallel parking skills, the bike lane turns into a staging area for loading/unloading but bikes in this scenario are forced onto the sidewalk instead of a travel lane. This is mostly an issue involving shoppers around retail stores but streets that have a significant amount of freight/delivery (or niche phenomena like musicians and equipment on lower Broad) can still have bike lanes blocked.

Note I'm not arguing against using these, they are the current preferred treatment in a vacuum, but they are also a bit of a Cadillac option. There really isn't a one-size-fits-all solution, especially for retrofits, which is why a law/regulation might not produce the expected result. Every street has different needs, different multimodal demands, and a different typical section to work with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The new tower will be fantastic, no doubt. I do think it will diminish the presence of the new, outstanding, Vandy tower. I always thought that the open area could have been enclosed with glass and a terrific restaurant could have worked here. But that won't happen. I think many of the owners of properties, like these, purposely underuse them, letting them languish often for years, with the intent or redeveloping them when people are tired of waiting and lose interest. That frustrates me, but I get that's how it works. I look forward to the new tower.

Edited by Nash_12South

• 2 months later...