The Sinclair, 27 stories, 315', 334 residential units; 31,500 sq. ft. retail; 13,040 sq. ft. restaurant; underground garage

markhollin

Whoa, this will be a HUGE change to the neighborhood. The slope down from west to east will give an optical illusion that it's much, much bigger than it actually is I think when approaching from the west.

Only thing I'll miss there is the old flower shop..."Eah'ma's...thah supeahlahtive flow'rist." ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • markhollin changed the title to The Sinclair/2416 West End, 27 stories, 374 ft., 320 residential units; 31,500 sq. ft. retail; 13,040 sq. ft. restaurant; underground garage
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just curious if anyone here knows anything about the history of that large brick building at the Y intersection of West End, Elliston and 25th Avenue?  I've read it was originally a garage, but when was it built?  I think it was vacant when I first moved to Nashville. I only remember it as a drugstore and I think I may have gone inside it once. 

39 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Just curious if anyone here knows anything about the history of that large brick building at the Y intersection of West End, Elliston and 25th Avenue?  I've read it was originally a garage, but when was it built?  I think it was vacant when I first moved to Nashville. I only remember it as a drugstore and I think I may have gone inside it once. 

I found this blurb on Historic Nashville's 2020 list of the Nashville Nine:

The Firestone Building
2416-2418 West End Avenue

For ninety years, the buff-colored brick buildings have stood on the triangular lot where 25thAvenue North/Elliston Place splits off from West End Avenue. Designed by prominent local architects Marr & Holman (who also designed the Nashville Post Office which is now the Frist Center for the Visual Arts), it was initially Firestone Service Stores, the first “one stop” retail store in Nashville for the Firestone Tire and Rubber Company. For the past thirty-five years, the main building has housed a series of drug stores, most recently a Rite Aid.

When it opened, the Firestone store was expected to be the South’s largest tire sales building and service station, capable of servicing twenty-five cars at once. Firestone operated here until 1983, with Eckerd moving into the space in 1985.In 1986, the Metro Historical Commission awarded the property with a preservation award, calling the Firestone Building “an example of Art Deco architectural style, rare in Nashville as well as the nation because the style was becoming popular just as the effects of the Depression were being felt.”

Currently, the smaller corner building houses a Smoothie King. Walgreens, which owns theproperty, put both buildings on the market when the Rite Aid closed.  Historic Nashville is concerned that the Firestone Building’s prominent location puts it particularly at risk of development that seeks to create a newer, larger presence at the expense of our city’s historic integrity.

• Thanks 1