Orlando Health

opivys85

1 hour ago, opivys85 said:

It fits the overall aesthetic of "new" Orlando Health buildings (boxy, not sexy). I don't hate it but am also not crazy about it. I am a little surprised they are plopping just a 3-story building on that prime location. They are in desperate need for more physician office space and graduate medical education space (the building that this is replacing is currently the GME building)

What is the address/location?

On 7/9/2022 at 5:16 PM, opivys85 said:

Newly announced design for the upcoming Neuroscience Institute. Continued growth on the Orlando Health Campus. Currently we have this, Jewett, and the Digestive Health Institute planned or under construction.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2022/07/06/orlando-health-neuroscience-institute-downtown.html

Orlando Health to build new medical office building downtown - Orlando  Business Journal

this is just amazing all of the new construction at ORHS and Advent South.  Either it's just those two systems butting heads and spending $$$ or a nationwide trend that they are both trying to keep up with.

59 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I’m miffed Allentown has a song and we don’t:

https://youtu.be/BHnJp0oyOxs

When Mayor Glenda gave Lou P the deal on Church St, it should have included a song about Orlando by one of Lou’s boy bands…

To be fair, that song is really about Bethlehem. PA.  Allentown just worked better in the song.

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

I’m miffed Allentown has a song and we don’t:

https://youtu.be/BHnJp0oyOxs

When Mayor Glenda gave Lou P the deal on Church St, it should have included a song about Orlando by one of Lou’s boy bands…

The Backstreet Boys could have "sung" it.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

Speaking of songs that really weren’t tied to the places we think, the songwriters of “Take Me Home, Country Roads” (which is now a West Virginia state song) was written about Western Maryland.

Another fun fact is the other big tune for the songwriters was “Afternoon Delight”. Talk about very different songs…

Per a recent article in OBJ, it looks like they are planning on razing the office building at 62 W Surtevant St. I wonder what they are planning for this site. They just built a new garden/pavilion next to it. Does anyone have any info on the proposed redevelopments of the industrial parts of SODO? If that movement takes off then it can totally change the feel and allure of this part of town. Much like what Advent Health is doing in the blocks around its hospital campus.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

image.thumb.png.4917446673e64639be60796f72c29dfc.png

I've got a relative that does medical research for a hospital system elsewhere.  I'm sure they get grants for their research; almost like a university does.  I wonder if that's the name of the game with these hospital systems getting larger and larger.  They can have researchers occupying some of these offices/ labs and they get government money for their work...i.e., it's not just patients driving construction and the addition of more space.

Now this project seems like it will mirror the project proposed from Advent to got at Orange & Princeton on that patch of grass.  This is like that episode of Star Trek with the mirror universe in an alternate dimension with an evil Kirk and Spok (and Federation).  It's a tit for tat between both hospital campuses.

In the words of Kahn..."all the better..."

• Like 2

On 9/25/2023 at 12:29 PM, jrs2 said:

I've got a relative that does medical research for a hospital system elsewhere.  I'm sure they get grants for their research; almost like a university does.  I wonder if that's the name of the game with these hospital systems getting larger and larger.  They can have researchers occupying some of these offices/ labs and they get government money for their work...i.e., it's not just patients driving construction and the addition of more space.

Now this project seems like it will mirror the project proposed from Advent to got at Orange & Princeton on that patch of grass.  This is like that episode of Star Trek with the mirror universe in an alternate dimension with an evil Kirk and Spok (and Federation).  It's a tit for tat between both hospital campuses.

In the words of Kahn..."all the better..."

What it really is that these hospitals are making record profits, they underpay their doctors, over pay and continue to expand administration, and have all this money left over. Since they are not for profit, they decide to build more palaces. Rinse and repeat. 

Plus Advent and OH are competing with each other like young siblings. One must have what the other has. Jewett signs OH to build a stand alone Ortho hospital..... then heaven forbid Advent gets left out and they rush to build their own and go on a nationwide shopping spree to find a big enough ortho group to put their name on it.....Rothman. 

Edited by shardoon
  • Thanks 1

Don't forget the rest of hospital staff! Just my 2 cents:

Can't speak to doctor's pay as they are very tight lipped about salary, but... most Nurses are now getting paid mid-30's/hr and many were getting insane bonuses to work during the pandemic. A nurse friend of mine made 130k - that is more than some medical professionals with a doctorate degree. Meanwhile others are not compensated appropriately... some techs and paramedics are still getting paid in the teens. Respiratory therapists dealt with severe/chronic treatments (but did receive bonuses). Housekeeping had to terminal clean each room after patients come in with covid, rsv, flu, etc. Xray/radiology has one on one contact w/pts and saw increase in workflow due to respiratory infections and clots. The lab was inundated with respiratory rule out testing on top of their normal workflow. Pharmacy had more IVs and meds to make and dispense on top of tech shortages due to crappy pay. Cafeteria short staffed, crappy pay and they don't work directly for the hospital anymore (meanwhile they prepare food for all patients, guests and staff). All underpaid and essential but many of the other departments did NOT receive bonuses or adequate pay increases during the pandemic despite increased workflow and are often overlooked because MDs and RNs typically have better positioned advocates than other depts.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1

On 9/30/2023 at 12:15 PM, nite owℓ said:

Don't forget the rest of hospital staff! Just my 2 cents:

Can't speak to doctor's pay as they are very tight lipped about salary, but... most Nurses are now getting paid mid-30's/hr and many were getting insane bonuses to work during the pandemic. A nurse friend of mine made 130k - that is more than some medical professionals with a doctorate degree. Meanwhile others are not compensated appropriately... some techs and paramedics are still getting paid in the teens. Respiratory therapists dealt with severe/chronic treatments (but did receive bonuses). Housekeeping had to terminal clean each room after patients come in with covid, rsv, flu, etc. Xray/radiology has one on one contact w/pts and saw increase in workflow due to respiratory infections and clots. The lab was inundated with respiratory rule out testing on top of their normal workflow. Pharmacy had more IVs and meds to make and dispense on top of tech shortages due to crappy pay. Cafeteria short staffed, crappy pay and they don't work directly for the hospital anymore (meanwhile they prepare food for all patients, guests and staff). All underpaid and essential but many of the other departments did NOT receive bonuses or adequate pay increases during the pandemic despite increased workflow and are often overlooked because MDs and RNs typically have better positioned advocates than other depts.

I learned about 9 years back that they cut nurses' hours by creating a rotation schedule, to keep them from "full time" designation,   Patients really suffered as a result because after each shift change, the "new" nurse didn't know WTF was going on.

6 hours ago, jrs2 said:

I learned about 9 years back that they cut nurses' hours by creating a rotation schedule, to keep them from "full time" designation,   Patients really suffered as a result because after each shift change, the "new" nurse didn't know WTF was going on.

Never heard of that... unless it was during "value creation" layoffs. Even if staff work Variable Full Time hours (meaning 72 hours instead of 80 hours), there is usually a handoff at shift change. Anyway, it's pretty amusing when people say nurses and doctors don't get paid well when the rest of hospital staff get paid even worse - people's paychecks are stuck in the stone age. Orlando Health only recently increased their minimum wage to $15/hr. There is a lot more than meets the eye when it comes to keep a hospital running.

9 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Never heard of that... unless it was during "value creation" layoffs. Even if staff work Variable Full Time hours (meaning 72 hours instead of 80 hours), there is usually a handoff at shift change. Anyway, it's pretty amusing when people say nurses and doctors don't get paid well when the rest of hospital staff get paid even worse - people's paychecks are stuck in the stone age. Orlando Health only recently increased their minimum wage to $15/hr. There is a lot more than meets the eye when it comes to keep a hospital running.

...back at FH Celebration.  I complained about it to a couple of the nurses because of those frequent shift changes and they told us about what FH was up to...maybe it was just their spin...dunno b/c I wasn't an employee there...

57 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Orlando Health just added paid parental leave along with big jumps in adoption and fertility support. Finally feeling the pinch on the need to support your workforce or they will leave.

Single/childless employees need to revolt... pregnant coworkers can get 3 months off no problem, meanwhile I can barely get time off for myself without causing a stink about it. Their family planning should not affect my life. I'm all for support as long as it is evenly applied across the board. Yes, I'm that person lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1