Prognostications for the second half of 2021 - Richmond Development

I miss RVA

Great topic @I miss RVA

What I'm hoping for the second half of the year is to see some dirt turning. The last 6 months have been a blast of planning actions, studies and project announcements , we added a lot of blue to the map .. now I'm ready to flip some of those to the orange. 

What i see breaking ground in the next 6 months or the top contenders to do so are the following.

In Manchester - The Box, The Tidewater, The Commodore, UDA project at 124 W 9th St & the infill  developments at 1114 Hull\Lighthouse Diner site. All these are ready to go planning wise or are getting close to it so hope to see permits down soon. Additionally I think we will see more finalized plans\renderings for the Silo site AND for the vacant City View Marketplace former grocery  block along Hull that was rezoned last week. Would be great to get an update on the Five50 project as well. 

In Scott's - that 12 story will overshadow the skyline in Scotts by end of year. By that time I'd like to see the Soda Flats and Outlier projects moving ad some renderings for the Chasen redevelopment , the Leigh Addition project,  as well as the Thalhimer site just on other side of tracks that they took through rezoning process 6 months ago. But for these last 3 i dont expect ground to move this year - maybe in a year. Belleville sites couldd break within 6 months but not terribly worried about them.

In Shockoe  - bunch of rezonings, one still pending- this year ... would like to see some movement on some of them - if not dirt moving then some renderings\timeline updates would be nice. I dont think the Bakery tower project will move this year. We have the 11 story site to watch, the Poythress holdings and the site at Cary\Pear which is still pending rezoning PLUS the huge Lovings site which hinted at large scale project. The field is being set - it might not show it yet but to me Shockoe is just as exciting as Manchester and Scott's. 

I'll leave it here for now. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DowntownCoruscant said:

Just a guess, but by season’s end (late Q3), we may see something clearer or clearerish about a new Diamond. MLB’s takeover of the minors adds new requirements that make the Diamond  non-tenable (not just non-desirable), so the talk of needing a replacement by 2025 isn’t just talk. 

Most definitely - it'll will be time for the city (or the region, however this shakes out) to either put up or shut up about baseball in Richmond. Lack of any ability whatsoever to govern their way out of a wet paper bag on a new ballpark cost the city the R-Braves - which had been a mainstay in this city for 40-plus years. Nothing against the Flying Squirrels, but I was heartbroken when the Braves left town - and took AAA baseball with them. The RVA metro is more than big enough to at least have a AAA team. Who and whatever powers that be need to step up to the plate and bang this one out of the park before MLB decides that RVA isn't up to having a baseball team.

• Like 1

I hear you - I grew up on the R-Braves and was fortunate enough to shake Hank Aaron’s hand on the last night of Parker Field. But … the Braves really mailed it in as a fan experience the last few years (all the while laying the groundwork for the Gwinnett move), and the Squirrels operate with a sense of good faith the Bruce Baldwin crew didn’t. It’s hard to imagine any minor league exec getting more involved to benefit a community than Parney. The whole operation is first class. Although I’m not a big fan of publicly funded stadiums, the Squirrels deserve a palace.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DowntownCoruscant said:

I hear you - I grew up on the R-Braves and was fortunate enough to shake Hank Aaron’s hand on the last night of Parker Field. But … the Braves really mailed it in as a fan experience the last few years (all the while laying the groundwork for the Gwinnett move), and the Squirrels operate with a sense of good faith the Bruce Baldwin crew didn’t. It’s hard to imagine any minor league exec getting more involved to benefit a community than Parney. The whole operation is first class. Although I’m not a big fan of publicly funded stadiums, the Squirrels deserve a palace.

Agreed on the Squirrels organization being top-notch. We have a gem.

As a former AP sports writer, I also had the privilege of shaking Henry Aaron's hand in April 1985 on the night The Diamond opened, as well as getting an all-too brief but good sit-down interview with him in the press box during the game. (As I recall, the R-Braves lost to Syracuse that night something like 4-2). 

• Like 4