New Tower on Rosa Parks Circle?

Paramaribo

32 minutes ago, Paramaribo said:

According to the permit, 169 Monroe Ave NW is getting structural reinforcing "in anticipation of a future addition of new occupiable floors." Mlive vacated its space, and I hear there's a 10-15 story tower in the works.  Has anyone else heard about this? 

Where did you hear this? This would be fantastic.

I hope it's 15 to have a little variation between the other buildings nearby. 

Also, Subway is long gone too. 

It's in the link he included:

169 MONROE AVE NW INTEGRATED ARCHITECTURE 06/21/2021 Structural Reinforcing of existing three-story building in anticipation of a future addition of new occupiable floors (to be executed under separate permit) and infill of existing floor opening between the first and second floors. 

So it sounds like they'll build on top and take out the three story lobby on the SE side? That's exciting, even if the taller portion happens at a separate time.

Also, where did Mlive move? Smaller offices? Still downtown?

Joe

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

169 MONROE AVE NW INTEGRATED ARCHITECTURE 06/21/2021 Structural Reinforcing of existing three-story building in anticipation of a future addition of new occupiable floors (to be executed under separate permit) and infill of existing floor opening between the first and second floors. 

So it sounds like they'll build on top and take out the three story lobby on the SE side? That's exciting, even if the taller portion happens at a separate time.

Joe

All virtual now. Even their reporters are AI. lol. 

36 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Joe

Interesting that it's Integrated Architecture. I think that rules out any of the Devos's who primarily use VIA design I believe, or Orion/Wheeler which primarily uses Ghafari Group. And they have that project on Fulton that they haven't kicked off yet. 

Will be interesting to see who the prospective developer is. Who owns 169 Monroe now? Sam Cummings? 

If you want to put anything in the paper copy of the Press you talk to someone in Cleveland. The paper gets  printed there also. The building in Walker has been either optioned or sold.  I heard that from 2 different reliable sources. I know there has been an estimate of a proposed improvement to the property 

CWD 169 MONROE LLC
50 LOUIS ST NW STE 600
GRAND RAPIDS, MI 49503-2633

Scott Weirda Agent

Edited by Raildude's dad

2 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Joe

Man I hope they put in apartments or condos with balconies. It may sound stupid, but I think residential buildings with balconies in downtown make the streets so much more interactive

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Raildude's dad said:

If you want to put anything in the paper copy of the Press you talk to someone in Cleveland. The paper gets  printed there also. The building in Walker has been either optioned or sold.  I heard that from 2 different reliable sources. I know there has been an estimate of a proposed improvement to the property 

CWD 169 MONROE LLC
50 LOUIS ST NW STE 600
GRAND RAPIDS, MI 49503-2633

Scott Weirda Agent

Yeah, the closing of the plant in Walker was in the news earlier this year. 

Scott Weirda would be CWD (Cummings, Weirda, D....

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

There is a large crane on Monroe outside the building today. There's no way they are starting this (right) so what's going on?

Actually yes - they are starting “it.” If you look at their permits there’s one for structural reinforcement on the ground floors to support upper floors. Also take a look at the building through the windows,  and you’ll see they’ve torn it up. Today they’re dropping off steel. Whatever this is going to be it’s fully in motion, just wish I had more details! 

1 hour ago, GVSUChris said:

Actually yes - they are starting “it.” If you look at their permits there’s one for structural reinforcement on the ground floors to support upper floors. Also take a look at the building through the windows,  and you’ll see they’ve torn it up. Today they’re dropping off steel. Whatever this is going to be it’s fully in motion, just wish I had more details! 

Where do you see this? I looked on the permit list and don't see anything.

https://inspections.grcity.us/CitizenAccess/Report/ShowReport.aspx?module=Permits&reportID=224&reportType=LINK_REPORT_LIST

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

This one says that it is for construction staging and "taking steel delivers." 

https://inspections.grcity.us/CitizenAccess/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=Permits&TabName=Permits&capID1=21CAP&capID2=00000&capID3=00TSB&agencyCode=GRANDRAPIDS&IsToShowInspection= 

This one says:

169 Monroe - Base Building Steel Reinforcing
Structural Reinforcing of existing three-story building in anticipation of a future addition of new occupiable floors (to be executed under separate permit) and infill of existing floor opening between the first and second floors.

https://inspections.grcity.us/CitizenAccess/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=Permits&TabName=Permits&capID1=21CAP&capID2=00000&capID3=00J4G&agencyCode=GRANDRAPIDS&IsToShowInspection=

• Like 1

It'll be interesting to see if the first phase happens, and the second phase is pretty far of / still somewhat speculative. I think the only place leased right now is the bank (or is Old National gone?). Maybe this is just an opportunity to set it up for growth down the road (a few year down the road). 

I think it WOULD be a great residential location. Heart of the city, right across from Rosa Parks Circle. It'd be a nice spot to live downtown.

Joe

31 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

It'll be interesting to see if the first phase happens, and the second phase is pretty far of / still somewhat speculative. I think the only place leased right now is the bank (or is Old National gone?). Maybe this is just an opportunity to set it up for growth down the road (a few year down the road). 

I think it WOULD be a great residential location. Heart of the city, right across from Rosa Parks Circle. It'd be a nice spot to live downtown.

Joe

I really believe this is it. People want to live downtown. 

I really think more people living downtown helps the streetscape so much

4 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

This one says that it is for construction staging and "taking steel delivers." 

https://inspections.grcity.us/CitizenAccess/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=Permits&TabName=Permits&capID1=21CAP&capID2=00000&capID3=00TSB&agencyCode=GRANDRAPIDS&IsToShowInspection= 

This one says:

169 Monroe - Base Building Steel Reinforcing
Structural Reinforcing of existing three-story building in anticipation of a future addition of new occupiable floors (to be executed under separate permit) and infill of existing floor opening between the first and second floors.

https://inspections.grcity.us/CitizenAccess/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=Permits&TabName=Permits&capID1=21CAP&capID2=00000&capID3=00J4G&agencyCode=GRANDRAPIDS&IsToShowInspection=

I drove by today but there was no crane. There were however two Pioneer trucks and construction barrels to block off the right lane. 

16 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I drove by today but there was no crane. There were however two Pioneer trucks and construction barrels to block off the right lane. 

Yeah the crane was gone early. It unloaded and left. I was going to get a picture but it was already gone. 

They were really humming away stripping the old M-Live space to it's bones though

• Like 1

I bank at Old National.  Tried to call the branch today with a question and could not get through.  I emailed the branch manager and he called me back shortly.  He said with all the construction going on at the building their phones have been going in and out all day.  That would suck to attempt to run a business in that building while construction happens.

1 hour ago, ModSquad said:

I bank at Old National.  Tried to call the branch today with a question and could not get through.  I emailed the branch manager and he called me back shortly.  He said with all the construction going on at the building their phones have been going in and out all day.  That would suck to attempt to run a business in that building while construction happens.

You didn’t probe the branch manager to dig for details? :)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, numstead said:

This is a project that I've been working on (Architectural PM) for the last couple years. I can confirm there are plans for additional floors. I cannot confirm how many or for what use.  That said, those hoping for a skyscraper on this site will be disappointed, but I am hoping that those who appreciate architectural design will be impressed. Right now we're not planning to re-skin any of the existing building.

Below 169 Monroe are two levels of parking (concrete structure) that are an extension of what is below 171 Monroe, and developed at the same time. That foundation was designed to carry more floors than just the three you see, but when the 169 building was constructed the steel frame was not designed to accommodate the same. 

Can you at least BALLPARK it for us?

Just hoping.

On 8/4/2021 at 3:11 PM, numstead said:

This is a project that I've been working on (Architectural PM) for the last couple years. I can confirm there are plans for additional floors. I cannot confirm how many or for what use.  That said, those hoping for a skyscraper on this site will be disappointed, but I am hoping that those who appreciate architectural design will be impressed. Right now we're not planning to re-skin any of the existing building.

Below 169 Monroe are two levels of parking (concrete structure) that are an extension of what is below 171 Monroe, and developed at the same time. That foundation was designed to carry more floors than just the three you see, but when the 169 building was constructed the steel frame was not designed to accommodate the same. 

Based on this, I envision a couple of floors of "penthouse" high end office space or residential, much like what was added on the new RDV HQ. 

• 2 weeks later...