New Tower on Rosa Parks Circle?

Paramaribo

21 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I'd love to know the process they'll go through to reinforce the building. Is it just a matter of strengthening the support beams on each floor? Does most of this work take place inside the building? Just curious what the overall process would look like.

Joe

Most of the columns are being reinforced by welding thick steel plates or steel tubes to the sides. This is to help carry the added gravity loads that would be introduced with new floors. We also have to add diagonal bracing between columns in a couple different bays to improve the building's lateral stability.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, numstead said:

Most of the columns are being reinforced by welding thick steel plates or steel tubes to the sides. This is to help carry the added gravity loads that would be introduced with new floors. We also have to add diagonal bracing between columns in a couple different bays to improve the building's lateral stability.

Interesting! Thanks for sharing!

Sounds about right based on what Nate said. The architecturally significant part he mentioned is what excites me most. I know Sam Cummings always wanted to work with Yantrasast again (GRAM building, the CWD hotel that was proposed on the corner on Monroe and Ottawa). 

Hoping whoever does the work, that it's significantly different from what we already have in town. 

Speaking of "what we already have", I was downtown last week and was really impressed by the way the city is coming along. While we have some duds, the texture and density of buildings (not height), seems really nice. We just need to keep adding to it.

Joe

• Like 2

17 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Sounds about right based on what Nate said. The architecturally significant part he mentioned is what excites me most. I know Sam Cummings always wanted to work with Yantrasast again (GRAM building, the CWD hotel that was proposed on the corner on Monroe and Ottawa). 

Hoping whoever does the work, that it's significantly different from what we already have in town. 

Speaking of "what we already have", I was downtown last week and was really impressed by the way the city is coming along. While we have some duds, the texture and density of buildings (not height), seems really nice. We just need to keep adding to it.

Joe

I could totally go for something wild there, like some of the upper floors aligned with Louis Campau and the GRAM, instead of with Monroe. Cantilevered out over the Monroe and Campau Promenade sidewalks. 

monroe WHY.png