Helping the Homeless

opivys85

As with any city, there are a significant amount of homeless people in the downtown area. I have seen many Downtown Ambassadors just walk by people sleeping in the street without any intervention or attempt to aid. I know this is a complex issue, but what do you think is a sustainable way to help combat homelessness in our community? I know there are some "housing first" programs that aim to offer shelter as a first step to helping people escape the cycle of homelessness.  Something like Pathlight Home comes to mind. What do you all think? This is one of those areas that has the potential to improve not only the lives of those affected, but also improve the overall experience of those wanting to enjoy the offerings of our city.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/25/2021 at 8:11 AM, opivys85 said:

As with any city, there are a significant amount of homeless people in the downtown area. I have seen many Downtown Ambassadors just walk by people sleeping in the street without any intervention or attempt to aid. I know this is a complex issue, but what do you think is a sustainable way to help combat homelessness in our community? I know there are some "housing first" programs that aim to offer shelter as a first step to helping people escape the cycle of homelessness.  Something like Pathlight Home comes to mind. What do you all think? This is one of those areas that has the potential to improve not only the lives of those affected, but also improve the overall experience of those wanting to enjoy the offerings of our city.

I'm not sure it is in the Ambassadors job description to assist the homeless. I think they are told to avoid them unless they are causing a disruption.

We can't house/ shelter our way out of this problem. It really is more of a mental health issue (primarily) followed by an addiction issue. 

• 4 months later...
On 12/19/2021 at 4:21 PM, prahaboheme said:

That would be a start.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt, but if there are limited resources is that the best use of them. As the article spenser posted points out, the current facility has empty beds. This is much more a mental health/ addiction issue then simply a matter of roods and beds.

• 9 months later...

Morgan & Morgan are lining up behind the Coalition For the Homeless to raise $1m to work on the issue.

Say what you will about them, when the Morgan crew sets their sights on something (like the minimum wage and medical marijuana), they tend to get results.

Could we finally make some progress?

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/florida/os-ne-homelessness-campaign-central-florida-orlando-housing-20221012-exdmkgktazen3f27w7cjwbir4m-story.html 

From The Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058

On 12/21/2021 at 4:09 PM, AmIReal said:

I suppose it wouldn't hurt, but if there are limited resources is that the best use of them. As the article spenser posted points out, the current facility has empty beds. This is much more a mental health/ addiction issue then simply a matter of roods and beds.

there are places like Healthcare Center for the Homeless that offer medical aid and housing for homeless; they expect them to go to work force or equivalent to try and get work during the day and then sleep there at night.