Liberty Park/Fairgrounds Redevelopment and Liberty Bowl Renovations

VSRJ

Since the Fairgrounds redevelopment is an ongoing saga (years and years in the making), I think it's worthy of its own thread.

Liberty Park Memphis

Liberty Park website: https://www.libertyparkmemphis.com/

607782919_200803_Final_FullSizecopy.thumb.jpg.825b44c6bd9a99fbc906594b3c67ea91.jpg

419927505_2020_05_05FRPCampusMapDownload.thumb.jpg.1abb421adc021f0f37149ee6cbd24ec9.jpg

Fairgrounds becomes ‘Liberty Park’ in latest post-pandemic plan

https://dailymemphian.com/section/metro/article/16141/fairgrounds-liberty-park-development-liberty-bowl-libertyland

The Fairgrounds will become Liberty Park, with an indoor sports complex and hotels, under the city’s latest push to redevelop the 168-acre public property while emerging from the COVID-19 pandemic.

The rebrand, announced Thursday, Aug. 13, has a 2022 target date for opening of the first phases. A letter of intent from Capstone Development of Washington D.C. calls for developing two hotels of about 200 rooms total.

“There are a lot of people who don’t even know it is a park — park land operated by the parks division,” said Mary Claire Borys, manager of strategic initiatives for the city’s Housing and Community Development division. “As we started to think about new names, we realized that was kind of a flaw that needed to be corrected.”

Liberty Park is a nod to the old Libertyland theme park once located in the southwest corner of the property. The site is now to become the 277,000-square-foot Memphis Sports and Events Center that would be for public use and the use of youth sports tournaments.

New Renderings:

361219351_207020_Final_FullSize.thumb.jpg.a5c959392725f80c4924112d5a9ff204.jpg

32688678_MPDOFairgroundsRendering-EntertainmentCenterDownload.thumb.jpg.0b82b4e4b864aa26fdb504f92195d95b.jpg

805241320_MPDOCentralAvenueOfficeBuildingDownload.thumb.jpg.8877f361fb432c5babae8a8dd2621340.jpg

937236187_MPDOCornerViewRenderingDownload.thumb.jpg.02a47036acf905c8aeb60174785eb437.jpg

Sports Complex Renderings:

Exterior1.thumb.jpg.799d95cb893455ff6b837b3565fc36e2.jpg

Exterior2.thumb.jpg.63445b0e099f93556ec94f566189ee4f.jpg

mezzanine.thumb.jpg.1858872b40338a8307047d34183d5779.jpg

1046552588_CafeView.thumb.jpg.90446727127fae9f3b2415c4072c86e6.jpg

EntryView.thumb.jpg.28dc4124a110a82d9ac07c42cbdefc53.jpg

EventSideInterior.thumb.jpg.cc122d68bd1d2374eee25dd0bd882027.jpg

Edited by VSRJ
  • Like 2

This looks amazing and I hope it gets built. I wonder why they're planning on keeping the Mid South Coliseum if they're building an indoor sportsplex? They should transfer the building to the University of Memphis if they're just going to add tarps to it. I'm sure the university can find something innovative to do with it.  Also, what is going to happen with parking and tailgating for football games at LBMS? 

That being said, this is a wonderful development.  If they ever modernize LBMS in conjunction with this development the city and university will have something to be incredibly proud of.

17 hours ago, 21jump said:

This looks amazing and I hope it gets built. I wonder why they're planning on keeping the Mid South Coliseum if they're building an indoor sportsplex? They should transfer the building to the University of Memphis if they're just going to add tarps to it. I'm sure the university can find something innovative to do with it.  Also, what is going to happen with parking and tailgating for football games at LBMS? 

That being said, this is a wonderful development.  If they ever modernize LBMS in conjunction with this development the city and university will have something to be incredibly proud of.

The Coliseum has been closed and not used since 2006.   It's a very hot issue in Memphis, many want it renovated in some form and many have been in favor of tearing it down.   It is not ADA compliant (part of the reason it shut down-  the other reason is a non-complete clause with the FedExForum having concert events over 5000-6000, some number in that range).   In the past few years there have been groups that have cleaned it and shown it to potential investors for something to happen down the line.    I'm sure something will come of it eventually, especially if everything around it in this project gets built.

The large area in the middle between the Coliseum and Central Avenue that is west of the Liberty Bowl was built in 2010 on the site of where the Fair was always held.  "Tiger Lane"-  it's the main tailgating area for football games.   That is staying as is.   A lot of parking has been lost but there is still some close to the Stadium.  I originally heard there was supposed to be parking garages built somewhere around for stadium events, not sure about that according to these plans though.  And a lot of renovations have gone into the Liberty Bowl itself the past 5 years or so-  new seats, new scoreboards and things like that.  If this gets built I think it would be great for restaurant/bar options close by as well as hotels for big events like the Liberty Bowl game etc.

Edited by DRG901

26 minutes ago, DRG901 said:

The Coliseum has been closed and not used since 2006.   It's a very hot issue in Memphis, many want it renovated in some form and many have been in favor of tearing it down.   It is not ADA compliant (part of the reason it shut down-  the other reason is a non-complete clause with the FedExForum having concert events over 5000-6000, some number in that range).   In the past few years there have been groups that have cleaned it and shown it to potential investors for something to happen down the line.    I'm sure something will come of it eventually, especially if everything around it in this project gets built.

The large area in the middle between the Coliseum and Central Avenue that is west of the Liberty Bowl was built in 2010 on the site of where the Fair was always held.  "Tiger Lane"-  it's the main tailgating area for football games.   That is staying as is.   A lot of parking has been lost but there is still some close to the Stadium.  I originally heard there was supposed to be parking garages built somewhere around for stadium events, not sure about that according to these plans though.  And a lot of renovations have gone into the Liberty Bowl itself the past 5 years or so-  new seats, new scoreboards and things like that.  If this gets built I think it would be great for restaurant/bar options close by as well as hotels for big events like the Liberty Bowl game etc.

The non-compete just stipulates that facilities that are publicly funded by the city can't have concerts over 5,000 people.  If it were sold to a private entity, then they could do with it what they want, but would likely not receive tax incentives, as this is the issue that Graceland is fighting.  There are other options in that it could be used for Wrestling, Boxing, or MMA events or even a minor league hockey team.  It would be cool if they built a Memphis Wrestling HOF/Museum there.  

I wonder if the other buildings will be incorporated into the plans such as the Pipkin building and Creative Arts building.  I'm not sure how much they are being used anymore.  I know they were doing Roller Derby there.   

26 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

The non-compete just stipulates that facilities that are publicly funded by the city can't have concerts over 5,000 people.  If it were sold to a private entity, then they could do with it what they want, but would likely not receive tax incentives, as this is the issue that Graceland is fighting.  There are other options in that it could be used for Wrestling, Boxing, or MMA events or even a minor league hockey team.  It would be cool if they built a Memphis Wrestling HOF/Museum there.  

I wonder if the other buildings will be incorporated into the plans such as the Pipkin building and Creative Arts building.  I'm not sure how much they are being used anymore.  I know they were doing Roller Derby there.   

Ah gotcha.  I couldn't remember all the details.   And last year I went into one of those buildings during a festival on Tiger Lane and they had a flea market going on at the same time where I bought some old vinyls and concert posters, ha.   Not sure what else goes on there at the moment.   

1 hour ago, MDC26 said:

These are all the buildings/facilities that will be incorporated: https://www.libertyparkmemphis.com/venues

4 hours ago, DRG901 said:

Thanks, I graduated from UofM almost 10 years ago so I knew most of that. My thing is if they're going to build a special events center they could just renovate to coliseum instead and use it for that purpose. I did not know that it once hosted hockey and I've wanted UofM to have a hockey team for a few years but that's not a possibility right now with schools cutting sports left and right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 21jump said:

Thanks, I graduated from UofM almost 10 years ago so I knew most of that. My thing is if they're going to build a special events center they could just renovate to coliseum instead and use it for that purpose. I did not know that it once hosted hockey and I've wanted UofM to have a hockey team for a few years but that's not a possibility right now with schools cutting sports left and right.

I believe the group trying to save the Coliseum tried to pitch ideas to incorporate it into this with basketball courts etc if I recall correctly but the city turned it down to keep it with their own plan.   I went to a lot of hockey games there as a kid.  If it gets renovated would love to see that again (the Riverkings have left Southaven recently so no local team).  Also I would think it would make sense to move the Hustle of the NBA G League to the Coliseum from Southaven if it ever becomes possible.   Who knows what'll happen though.  I was originally one for tearing it down thinking it's not needed but if all of this pans out I'd love to see it back to active use.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 21jump said:

The Coliseum is way too small and outdated for that purpose. They wouldn’t be able to attract any kinds of events that the Special Events Center could. 

On 8/14/2020 at 1:22 PM, DRG901 said:

I believe the group trying to save the Coliseum tried to pitch ideas to incorporate it into this with basketball courts etc if I recall correctly but the city turned it down to keep it with their own plan.   I went to a lot of hockey games there as a kid.  If it gets renovated would love to see that again (the Riverkings have left Southaven recently so no local team).  Also I would think it would make sense to move the Hustle of the NBA G League to the Coliseum from Southaven if it ever becomes possible.   Who knows what'll happen though.  I was originally one for tearing it down thinking it's not needed but if all of this pans out I'd love to see it back to active use.

I personally would rather the Hustle stay in Mississippi or move to Nashville. I think it'll be great for both cities if the Preds minor league team played in Memphis and the Gizz minor league team played in Nashville. It would be a great opportunity to market the teams within the state and give people the opportunity to get to know some of the young players on each team.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, 21jump said:

I personally would rather the Hustle stay in Mississippi or move to Nashville. I think it'll be great for both cities if the Preds minor league team played in Memphis and the Gizz minor league team played in Nashville. It would be a great opportunity to market the teams within the state and give people the opportunity to get to know some of the young players on each team.

Yeah, I think the Hustle are better being in Southaven as opposed to the Mid-South Coliseum.  There's no love lost between Memphis and Nashville sports teams, so I don't know how well minor league teams would be supported in the opposite city.  The RiverKings played in the Southern Professional Hockey League, which is the third tier below the NHL, and is not affiliated with any NHL teams.  The American Hockey League is the top tier and the East Coast Hockey League is 2nd tier, both are affiliated with NHL teams.  Nashville's AHL and ECHL teams are in Milwaukee and the Cape Coral - Fort Myers area.  All NHL teams have an AHL affiliate, but there are 6 NHL teams that do not have an ECHL affiliate (Ducks, Blue Jackets, Panthers, Kings, Canadiens, and Sharks.)  It would be nice if the Coliseum could be renovated, and Memphis get an ECHL team affiliated with one of those NHL teams.   I think they are likely to draw better at an updated Mid-South Coliseum than the Landers Center.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Yeah, I think the Hustle are better being in Southaven as opposed to the Mid-South Coliseum.  There's no love lost between Memphis and Nashville sports teams, so I don't know how well minor league teams would be supported in the opposite city.  The RiverKings played in the Southern Professional Hockey League, which is the third tier below the NHL, and is not affiliated with any NHL teams.  The American Hockey League is the top tier and the East Coast Hockey League is 2nd tier, both are affiliated with NHL teams.  Nashville's AHL and ECHL teams are in Milwaukee and the Cape Coral - Fort Myers area.  All NHL teams have an AHL affiliate, but there are 6 NHL teams that do not have an ECHL affiliate (Ducks, Blue Jackets, Panthers, Kings, Canadiens, and Sharks.)  It would be nice if the Coliseum could be renovated, and Memphis get an ECHL team affiliated with one of those NHL teams.   I think they are likely to draw better at an updated Mid-South Coliseum than the Landers Center.  

Like the idea of a hockey team at a renovated MSC. That would be cool

On 8/13/2020 at 4:29 PM, 21jump said:

The Coca Cola building next door to  lbms is available 18 acres there. They should consider building a new stadium there. And tear down LB for parking and additional tailgating. Just my thoughts 

14 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

Like the idea of a hockey team at a renovated MSC. That would be cool

The Coca Cola building next door to  lbms is available 18 acres there. They should consider building a new stadium there. And tear down LB for parking and additional tailgating. Just my thoughts 

I doubt that would even be feasible.  The stadium needs to be more centralized in the park as opposed to tucked into a corner, hemmed in by two sets of railroad tracks.  They could incorporate that area into the park somehow, or even use it for parking, but I don't think it would be a good spot for a stadium.  

• 3 months later...

Bowling, laser tag and golf are on their way to Liberty Park. City signs deal with entertainment venue

Bowling venue on its way to Memphis' Liberty Park (commercialappeal.com)

Samuel Hardiman
Memphis Commercial Appeal

"The city of Memphis has signed a letter of intent with Austin-based High 5 Entertainment for a 65,000 square foot bowling, laser tag, ropes course and golf simulator facility, the city said in a news release Monday. 

The 65,000 square foot development will have both indoor and outdoor components. The 40,000 building will include bowling, a bar, axe-throwing, laser tag, virtual reality, a video game arcade and a golf simulator on the ground floor. The upstairs venue will be for private bowling events, the news release said. Outside, there will be a 25,000 square foot miniature golf-course. "

"

Construction is expected to begin in early-2021, the city said. The facility is scheduled to be complete by the 2022 holiday season. 

Inking an entertainment venue is a win for the city of Memphis' expansive plans for the rebranded Liberty Park, which will include a 227,000 square foot youth sports venue, two hotels, other retail and potentially residential apartments. 

Before the pandemic, city officials traveled to scout potential entertainment venues and were in talks with several different potential venues. The entertainment venue, now High 5, was seen as the lynchpin for the project."

• 5 months later...

Some progress:

Liberty Park moving forward: $10.3 million building permit pulled for Midtown project

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2021/05/05/building-permit-pulled-for-midtown-project.html

In February 2021, a City of Memphis leader said she expected work to start at the Fairgrounds in May.

On May 4, a $10.3 million building permit was filed for the foundation of the sports and events complex that is the project's cornerstone.

The complex is poised to cost about $54 million of the $126 million the city plans to spend on "Phase 2," which also includes its contribution to the mixed-use portion, a new track and football field, a new playground, improvements to the Pipkin Building, and the $15 million it recently spent on improvements to Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium.

City of Memphis Division of Housing and Community Development (HCD) manager of strategic initiatives Mary Claire Borys said in February the youth sports complex should be completed in fall 2022, along with the first piece of the mixed-use development.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

14 years in the making...hard to believe it's finally happening.

Liberty Park breaks ground after 14 years and three mayors

https://dailymemphian.com/section/neighborhoods/article/22495/memphis-liberty-park-youth-sports-complex-groundbreaking

After attempts across 14 years and three mayoral administrations, city leaders broke ground Monday, June 14, on the first part of a plan to overhaul and redefine the Fairgrounds.

Mayor Jim Strickland recalled his first meeting as a city council member-elect in 2007 was a meeting at the Children’s Museum of Memphis on developing plans by the Herenton administration for the acreage.

“This is the intersection of so many elements,” Strickland said just before the ceremonial shovels came out for the ground- breaking of the 227,000-square-foot youth sports complex in the southwest part of the Fairgrounds footprint.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/football/2021/07/28/major-renovations-liberty-bowl-memorial-stadium-works/5400518001/

I figured this might be worth it's own thread if the Liberty Bowl does indeed see major renovations.

They are adding two party deck type areas for this upcoming season.

The article doesn't mention a timeline or what the major renovations will entail. My immediate thought is a new press box, since that has been floated around before. Hopefully it'll be all brick, to match the campus down the street, or limestone to kind of match colors with the existing structures in Liberty Park. 

Other things I'd like to see are an expanded concourse and renovated concessions and restrooms. I'd also like to see the number of chairback seats at least quadrupled. The capacity still needs to be in the 50,000 seat range so, to counteract the loss of seats due to chairbacks, they could add seats in the North end zone opposite the jumbotron.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/28/2021 at 2:26 PM, 21jump said:

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/football/2021/07/28/major-renovations-liberty-bowl-memorial-stadium-works/5400518001/

I figured this might be worth it's own thread if the Liberty Bowl does indeed see major renovations.

They are adding two party deck type areas for this upcoming season.

The article doesn't mention a timeline or what the major renovations will entail. My immediate thought is a new press box, since that has been floated around before. Hopefully it'll be all brick, to match the campus down the street, or limestone to kind of match colors with the existing structures in Liberty Park. 

Other things I'd like to see are an expanded concourse and renovated concessions and restrooms. I'd also like to see the number of chairback seats at least quadrupled. The capacity still needs to be in the 50,000 seat range so, to counteract the loss of seats due to chairbacks, they could add seats in the North end zone opposite the jumbotron.

Dr. Rudd has raised the specter of building a new stadium, with state help, and that appears to throw water on the Liberty Bowl renovations.  I have my suspicion that he threw this out to get the ball rolling before he steps down. I recently learned that the area where the Liberty Bowl sits qualifies for federal and private foundation funds that could be used for community reinvestment with building a new stadium. I don't see this happening without the city being involved either.  Look what the City and University are doing with the new Leftwich Tennis center. It's intended to draw national tennis  tournaments as well as NCAA tournaments and conference championships to Memphis. Building a new stadium would bring an economic boost to that area and Memphis. Especially if it's domed. 

Edited by JTM1

Beale Street Music Festival and the World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest (both part of Memphis in May) will temporarily relocate to Liberty Park/Tiger Lane/the Fairgrounds in 2022 due to Tom Lee Park construction.

Memphis in May finds its temporary home for 2022 Music Fest/BBQ contest

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2021/09/28/memphis-in-may-2022-fairgrounds-temporary.html

The organization announced it would set up camp at the Mid-South Fairgrounds for the 2022 Beale Street Music Festival and the World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest.

The temporary site was selected "because of its unique size, uninterrupted layout, existing infrastructure, and the public's familiarity as a long-time entertainment location," said a Sept. 28 release from Memphis in May (MIM).

Tom Lee Park is not available to MIM next year because construction on the major landscape changes and redevelopment along the river will be well underway by then.

And now the City has hired an Architect to study whether to renovate or if a new stadium is needed as the LB has become an albatross around the neck of the U of M's neck to gain admittance in a better conference.

The Commercial Appeal parcel would have been an excellent  location for a new stadium in the range of 350 to 500 million at 52 to 55k permanent seating with temp seating in emdzone to boost to 62 to 65 thousand for the Liberty Bowl

Look at Birmingham's new 200 million stadium at 45k. 

Tigers home games

Southern Heritage Classic

Venue for larger stadium concerts

Host larger acts during Beale Street Music feat was an expansion to two weekends

Possible Soccer use.

Edited by Wayward Memphian

10 hours ago, Wayward Memphian said:

And now the City has hired an Architect to study whether to renovate or if a new stadium is needed as the LB has become an albatross around the neck of the U of M's neck to gain admittance in a better conference.

The Commercial Appeal parcel would have been an excellent  location for a new stadium in the range of 350 to 500 million at 52 to 55k permanent seating with temp seating in emdzone to boost to 62 to 65 thousand for the Liberty Bowl

Look at Birmingham's new 200 million stadium at 45k. 

Tigers home games

Southern Heritage Classic

Venue for larger stadium concerts

Host larger acts during Beale Street Music feat was an expansion to two weekends

Possible Soccer use.

I wouldn't rule out using the old Commercial Appeal property for a new soccer-specific stadium when that time comes (USL/901 FC haven't asked for one yet, though it'll probably happen in a couple of years), but as far as a new football stadium for the U of M goes, many of the school's prominent boosters would prefer it be located on campus (or at least in close proximity) than planting it near downtown.

Mayor Strickland has already indicated that he'll support whatever the university decides to do in the end. If it's feasible to upgrade the Liberty Bowl based on the city-hired architect's recommendations (new press box, seating, lights, etc.), they'll go with that.

Yeah, from what I've heard part of the issue the Big 12 has is that the school doesn't have its own stadium and wants to see more of an investment going forward and sees an on campus stadium as the biggest sign of that.  No way they move downtown.  Either that or a big renovation of the Liberty Bowl...wanting to see what the renderings are at least as a start.