Liberty Park/Fairgrounds Redevelopment and Liberty Bowl Renovations

VSRJ

45 minutes ago, James Owen said:

I wouldn't rule out using the old Commercial Appeal property for a new soccer-specific stadium when that time comes (USL/901 FC haven't asked for one yet, though it'll probably happen in a couple of years), but as far as a new football stadium for the U of M goes, many of the school's prominent boosters would prefer it be located on campus (or at least in close proximity) than planting it near downtown.

Mayor Strickland has already indicated that he'll support whatever the university decides to do in the end. If it's feasible to upgrade the Liberty Bowl based on the city-hired architect's recommendations (new press box, seating, lights, etc.), they'll go with that.

The pusback from the surrounding residences is going to make an on campus site near impossible. The yells and screams of slapping it down in Audubon Park will be heard all the way to Philly like bells ringing in 1811/12 from the earthquakes. Putting it at the Park campus will cost them something else like a practice field or more. 

The inadequacies of the LB was known after Memphis lost out to Jacksonville and Charlotte for an NFL team because they would not commit to a new stadium.  They have since spent over 25 years about what it would have taken to build a stadium then just to keep the LB barely acceptable and looking at tens of millions more.

Maybe the State finally helps since they seem committed to West Tenn now with the Ford development and it may spur more action on I-69  as well. Lee likely has two terms terms to make West Tenn his Nashville.

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2020 at 4:19 PM, MDC26 said:

Yeah, I think the Hustle are better being in Southaven as opposed to the Mid-South Coliseum.  There's no love lost between Memphis and Nashville sports teams, so I don't know how well minor league teams would be supported in the opposite city.  The RiverKings played in the Southern Professional Hockey League, which is the third tier below the NHL, and is not affiliated with any NHL teams.  The American Hockey League is the top tier and the East Coast Hockey League is 2nd tier, both are affiliated with NHL teams.  Nashville's AHL and ECHL teams are in Milwaukee and the Cape Coral - Fort Myers area.  All NHL teams have an AHL affiliate, but there are 6 NHL teams that do not have an ECHL affiliate (Ducks, Blue Jackets, Panthers, Kings, Canadiens, and Sharks.)  It would be nice if the Coliseum could be renovated, and Memphis get an ECHL team affiliated with one of those NHL teams.   I think they are likely to draw better at an updated Mid-South Coliseum than the Landers Center.  

What I would love to see is a WNBA franchise along with hockey as primary tenants @ MSC. This development has all the right infrastructure to support a WNBA franchise/ 2 hotels/ dining/ entertainment/ office/ retail/ tourism. The W has made it public they intend to expand and Memphis should get in the game to land a team liberty park is perfect for the return of Hockey also. Hoops city & hockey. Also as far as the creative arts building they should move the Memphis sports HOF there it would add to the game day experience for tourists and locals alike . All those that agree with Having  a WNBA franchise please sign and share. 

https://www.change.org/p/wnba-commissioner-cathy-engelbert-bring-wnba-to-memphis

Edited by Memphisborn

2 hours ago, Memphis4ever said:

Attached are some construction photos from yesterday, this is just one half of the larger building this thing is huge.

View from East Parkway bridge

20211221_130133.thumb.jpg.a85407cb8e60048bd17e57e46821141b.jpg

20211221_130132.thumb.jpg.1f2e47aa1791b45cb5bd537b2113d4f5.jpg

View from Tiger Lane

20211221_130302.thumb.jpg.b03fd5180cdad20fb0a5b3d00fb5a8d6.jpg

20211221_130259.thumb.jpg.ea33caf565bf4bb7e3763e666e5dc05b.jpg

View from Coliseum

20211221_130313.thumb.jpg.68803741e26000d4bb22ef43268de189.jpg

20211221_130314.thumb.jpg.be036c82fd828c45508797875b61d775.jpg

Have they started construction on the mixed-use part on Central?   With all this construction going on it makes me wonder how they will be able to have Memphis in May here.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 7:47 PM, VSRJ said:

I’d rather have an outdoor venue (cough Libertyland cough), but I understand the benefits of something year round. I just hope it succeeds.

Your "Libertyland" should be a Tivoli Gardens like redevelopmemt/update of Mud Island.

Screenshot_20211223-133517_Google.jpg

Imagine this experience, a Star Flyer, along the river and sky line.

On 12/24/2021 at 1:18 PM, VSRJ said:

At this point, I'd just be happy to see them do anything to improve Mud Island. I'm afraid something on the scale of Tivoli is just unrealistic (as amazing as it would be).

It would make too much sense. Located between two major interstates with relatively easy access with high visibility. It would not be an All at  once thing , done in stages.

Edited by Wayward Memphian

On 12/23/2021 at 1:35 PM, Wayward Memphian said:

Your "Libertyland" should be a Tivoli Gardens like redevelopmemt/update of Mud Island.

Screenshot_20211223-133517_Google.jpg

Imagine this experience, a Star Flyer, along the river and sky line.

I think this would go better where the old police auction was located in Frayser.  It's right next to the river, it does food and there's acreage for expansion. 

• 4 months later...

This looks amazing. Way better than I would have expected from a renovation rather than a new stadium.

University of Memphis, City of Memphis Announce Vision For $150-200 Million Renovation to Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium 

https://gotigersgo.com/sports/2022/4/25/memphis-tigers-our-football-future.aspx

image.thumb.jpeg.c4c5057022f7523ddf6b3626b390d50f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.48a441f60155e772d4e69dc7aff64e6e.jpeg

May 12, 2022 

MEMPHIS, Tenn. – The University of Memphis and the City of Memphis have announced plans to pursue a $150-200 million renovation to Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium to revitalize and modernize the home of Memphis Tiger Football. 

Priority elements of the wide-ranging project include: 

• A transformation of the stadium’s west side, providing several innovative premium seating options
  • Creating a hospitality experience within the halo space surrounding the stadium
  • Other new seating options, such as family boxes on the north end and party deck patios for students on the south end
  • A potential repurpose and retrofit of the east side suite tower

The goal for completion of the project is prior to the 2025 football season. 

“We started this process with a specific set of transformational goals in mind, and this renovation hits all of them,” Memphis Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Laird Veatch said. “It will demonstrate our commitment to sustainable competitive and recruiting success, provide a tremendous, upgraded fan experience and secure positive long-term economic impacts for our University and City, all while taking advantage of the current stadium infrastructure and the investments already underway at Liberty Park. 

“Perhaps most importantly, it will optimize our position in the rapidly evolving landscape of intercollegiate athletics in a more manageable and efficient timeframe. This is the most strategically achievable option for us to pursue and make a game-changing impact at a critical time for our program.” 

“The commitment to greatly enhance the home of Tiger Football is a significant step toward realizing our potential as we position ourselves to succeed at the highest level of collegiate athletics,” University of Memphis President Dr. Bill Hardgrave said. “This investment in athletics mirrors the investments we are making across campus to put us among the top universities in the country, exemplified by our recent recognition as a Carnegie R1 research university.” 

Over the past several months, the University studied options for both a renovation of Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium and construction of a new football stadium with global stadium architecture design firm Populous. After deliberately analyzing both possibilities with University and government leaders, the conclusion was to focus on a transformation of Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium. 

“This transformation will also further our partnership with the City and take advantage of the existing stadium infrastructure that includes great sightlines, on-site parking and an incredible tailgating scene on Tiger Lane,” Veatch explained. “In addition to multiple improvements made to the stadium in recent years, we are also excited to complement the investments already underway in Liberty Park.” 

Currently approximately halfway through construction, the site of the old Mid-South Fairgrounds surrounding Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium is being re-energized into Liberty Park. Essentially creating a stadium district, Liberty Park will consist of a youth sports facility, named the Memphis Sports and Events Center, and also include entertainment venues, dining, retail, office space, two hotels and 150 apartments. 

“Now is a time of historic public and private reinvestment in our city,” City of Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland said. “Whether through private developments or city-wide public projects, billions of dollars are helping to bring new life and new energy to Memphis. This significant investment in the stadium will be a tremendous compliment to the 227,000 square-foot youth sports complex just across the street on Early Maxwell, as well as the overall transformative Liberty Park development.” 

“With our vision now public, our attention will turn to working with the City to establish a funding plan consisting of public and private support, completing the full design process and securing lead gift commitments,” Veatch said. “This will be an investment in the University and City of Memphis for generations to come. To accomplish a project of this magnitude, we will need everyone who cares deeply about the University and City to come together and help us elevate. Together, we will take this project from vision to reality.” 

Additional information will be announced as project milestones are achieved. For more information on the Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium renovation, visit www.GoTigersGo.com/OurFootballFuture. To learn more about Liberty Park, visit www.LibertyParkMemphis.com. 

Video:

Edited by VSRJ
  • Like 3

Agreed.   With the cost it would take to buy land for a new stadium (plus lack of land available on/near campus) I figured they'd go this route and it looks a lot better than I was expecting.  Plus I figured with Liberty Park underway and the fact the Liberty Bowl and Southern Heritage Classic also come into play it'd be harder to convince the city and everyone making decisions to fund an on campus stadium for the Tigers.  Looks great.

20 hours ago, DRG901 said:

Agreed.   With the cost it would take to buy land for a new stadium (plus lack of land available on/near campus) I figured they'd go this route and it looks a lot better than I was expecting.  Plus I figured with Liberty Park underway and the fact the Liberty Bowl and Southern Heritage Classic also come into play it'd be harder to convince the city and everyone making decisions to fund an on campus stadium for the Tigers.  Looks great.

Think Southern Heritage Classic will continue since Jackson St is pulling out?  

Hopefully, this will give the final push for someone to renovate the MSC.  Won't look good to have everything nice, new and shiny in Liberty Park, then have a blighted arena right in the middle of it.  

25 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

Think Southern Heritage Classic will continue since Jackson St is pulling out?  

Hopefully, this will give the final push for someone to renovate the MSC.  Won't look good to have everything nice, new and shiny in Liberty Park, then have a blighted arena right in the middle of it.  

I heard they are trying to find a replacement but not sure what'll happen.

Yeah, I agree about the Coliseum.   I think something will happen eventually, hope this spurs interest.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Per The Daily Memphian today, Mayor Strickland has proposed using the Mid-South Coliseum site for a new soccer-specific stadium for Memphis 901 FC as part of a plan to inject $684 million into improvements to the Liberty Bowl, FedExForum, and Autozone Park.

Strickland unveils $684M plan for FedExForum, coliseum, Liberty stadium

By Bill Dries, The Daily Memphian

https://dailymemphian.com/section/neighborhoods/article/31642/jim-stricklandl-simmons-liberty-stadium-fedex-forum-coliseum-901-fc-memphis-grizzlies

Strickland unveiled the $684 million proposal as he outlined general plans to the Memphis City Council Tuesday, Oct.18. The financing would include $350 million in state funding the city will seek.

In addition to the 901 FC stadium, AutoZone and FedExForum renovations, the plan includes funding previously announced improvements to Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium. 

Strickland said the Memphis Grizzlies, which operate FedExForum for the city, will have specific renovation plans next month. 

As for the Mid-South Coliseum, Strickland called it an ideal site for the soccer team if a controversial one. He paused after saying for the first time that the new soccer arena would be built on the site of the Coliseum, anticipating opposition.

This is what the proposed new stadium for 901 FC would look like:

proposed-901fc-soccer-stadium-at-liberty-park-memphis.thumb.jpg.c3f370837676ca68ef314fb6b1491af7.jpg

(Image courtesy of the City of Memphis)

I'm kinda torn on this idea as I would much prefer they build the stadium near Downtown in the Edge District over doing so at the Fairgrounds.

Also, @VSRJ, would it be possible to compile all Liberty Park/Fairgrounds stuff into a single thread (including the previously-announced Liberty Bowl renovations)?

• Like 1

• VSRJ changed the title to Liberty Park/Fairgrounds Redevelopment and Liberty Bowl Renovations
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...