Liberty Park/Fairgrounds Redevelopment and Liberty Bowl Renovations

VSRJ

The soccer stadium should be built at the former CommercialAappeal site on Union Avenue across from the Revine Park. It would have access to the proposed BRT route still be walkable from Downtown and the Edge once Union Row (the Walk) is constructed. Imagine the atmosphere of the Revine as a tailgate scene, the multiple taprooms in the area, and the Bakery Phase II development. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DowntownUrbanite said:

The soccer stadium should be built at the former CommercialAappeal site on Union Avenue across from the Revine Park. It would have access to the proposed BRT route still be walkable from Downtown and the Edge once Union Row (the Walk) is constructed. Imagine the atmosphere of the Revine as a tailgate scene, the multiple taprooms in the area, and the Bakery Phase II development. 

Agreed!! I had been posting that a long time! The owners want 20 million for the site. A lot is happening behind the scenes with the proposed MSC liberty park proposal not sure Lame duck Mayor Strickland will get the 684 million from state he requested. Also it will need city council approval to tear down MSC and build not sure they will do that

• 3 weeks later...

Great news!

Bill Lee plans $350M for FedExForum, Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium

https://dailymemphian.com/section/metro/article/34013/memphis-fedexforum-simmons-bank-liberty-bowl-350-million-bill-lee

Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee included $350 million in funding for renovations to FedExForum and Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium in his proposed budget Monday. 

The $350 million is part of what Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland asked for last fall when he unveiled $684 million worth of stadium plans and asked for legislative help to do it. 

There was no funding listed for the proposed replacement of the Mid-South Coliseum, which would have been turned into a soccer stadium for the Memphis 901 FC.

The governor’s proposed budget document released Monday showed a $350 million grant for non-recurring capital expenses for FedExForum and Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium. Strickland had asked for $350 million in cash and it appears, for now, that he got it. 

Edited by VSRJ
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, VSRJ said:

Great news!

Bill Lee plans $350M for FedExForum, Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium

https://dailymemphian.com/section/metro/article/34013/memphis-fedexforum-simmons-bank-liberty-bowl-350-million-bill-lee

Glad to see LB & FedEx Forum will be getting funds. As far as the soccer stadium proposal: This project should be in the downtown core. Either @ the CA site or part of the union row development. Union row has faced uncertainty due to financial conditions currently. A stadium could bring the equity/ bonds needed to complete the project 13 acres for stadium 17 acres for scaled down version of apts, hotels etc. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

An out-of-town visitor brought something to my attention this past weekend. The city plan to construct soccer fields on the land South of the MSEC, when they should consider adding some form of retail/entertainment that will generate tax revenue. This will be a dead area of Liberty Park, even if they move forward with razing the Coliseum and constructing the soccer stadium at this location.

Like it was pointed out to me, most parents/families would rather walk to the area South of the MSEC than walk over to Central. This would make redeveloping the Coliseum even more attractive, because both properties have the potential to generate sales tax and one would generate sales and property tax, unless the city sold the Coliseum.

https://dailymemphian.com/section/neighborhoods/article/36623/memphis-liberty-park-james-maclin-project-requests-pilot

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://downtownmemphis.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/Liberty-Park-PILOT-Application-2023_FINAL.pdf

Screenshot (94).png

14 hours ago, JTM1 said:

An out-of-town visitor brought something to my attention this past weekend. The city plan to construct soccer fields on the land South of the MSEC, when they should consider adding some form of retail/entertainment that will generate tax revenue. This will be a dead area of Liberty Park, even if they move forward with razing the Coliseum and constructing the soccer stadium at this location.

Like it was pointed out to me, most parents/families would rather walk to the area South of the MSEC than walk over to Central. This would make redeveloping the Coliseum even more attractive, because both properties have the potential to generate sales tax and one would generate sales and property tax, unless the city sold the Coliseum.

https://dailymemphian.com/section/neighborhoods/article/36623/memphis-liberty-park-james-maclin-project-requests-pilot

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://downtownmemphis.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/Liberty-Park-PILOT-Application-2023_FINAL.pdf

Screenshot (94).png

I get what your'e saying as there's a big separation between the Soccer Fields/MSC/Sports complex and the "Entertainment/Hotel" area.  I agree.  Are you suggesting moving the entertainment area over and switching with the soccer fields, or just scrapping the soccer fields and having retail at both?  The site of the soccer fields is a little bigger than half the area for retail that is on Central.  The other problem with that area is it's not as easily visible/accessible.  While it fronts E Parkway, you can't access it from Parkway (unless you turn in on the other side of the sports complex), as there is the overpass that goes over the train tracks.  You have to take the narrow exit, make a left turn with no stop light on to Southern.  Retail will not like the poor visibilty and accessibility in that area.  Also, aren't there soccer fields next to the Kroc Center?  Are those a separate use, or could things be combined there?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MDC26 said:

I get what your'e saying as there's a big separation between the Soccer Fields/MSC/Sports complex and the "Entertainment/Hotel" area.  I agree.  Are you suggesting moving the entertainment area over and switching with the soccer fields, or just scrapping the soccer fields and having retail at both?  The site of the soccer fields is a little bigger than half the area for retail that is on Central.  The other problem with that area is it's not as easily visible/accessible.  While it fronts E Parkway, you can't access it from Parkway (unless you turn in on the other side of the sports complex), as there is the overpass that goes over the train tracks.  You have to take the narrow exit, make a left turn with no stop light on to Southern.  Retail will not like the poor visibilty and accessibility in that area.  Also, aren't there soccer fields next to the Kroc Center?  Are those a separate use, or could things be combined there?

As described to me, this past weekend, from someone that works in city planning, scrap the soccer fields, and have retail in both locations, because Liberty Park should be one of the densest areas in the city and the taxes collected should reflect it. Yes, there’s an area beside the Kroc Center where they play soccer which makes no sense to me to build soccer fields where potential tax producing amenities could go.

The only open space in Liberty Park should be parking and that should be cut down by adding a couple of parking garages with rooftop bars. 

Think about it, if they proceed with razing the Coliseum, there will another tax-exempt structure that will go months without producing any form of revenue.

I changed my view on the Coliseum, because I once thought it had outlived its usefulness, but now I see it as something that could produce tax revenue 365 days a year. I have always believed the vision for the fairgrounds should be about more than sports, but more of a destination for Memphians and the families and visitors that travel to Memphis. The amenities are what will make LP more attractive for hosting events.

I was thinking an entrance off Southern could feed that area and I don’t think there will any trouble with attraction patrons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JTM1 said:

As described to me, this past weekend, from someone that works in city planning, scrap the soccer fields, and have retail in both locations, because Liberty Park should be one of the densest areas in the city and the taxes collected should reflect it. Yes, there’s an area beside the Kroc Center where they play soccer which makes no sense to me to build soccer fields where potential tax producing amenities could go.

The only open space in Liberty Park should be parking and that should be cut down by adding a couple of parking garages with rooftop bars. 

Think about it, if they proceed with razing the Coliseum, there will another tax-exempt structure that will go months without producing any form of revenue.

I changed my view on the Coliseum, because I once thought it had outlived its usefulness, but now I see it as something that could produce tax revenue 365 days a year. I have always believed the vision for the fairgrounds should be about more than sports, but more of a destination for Memphians and the families and visitors that travel to Memphis. The amenities are what will make LP more attractive for hosting events.

I was thinking an entrance off Southern could feed that area and I don’t think there will any trouble with attraction patrons.

Well, I like that idea then. Retail at both areas. If there’s a need for a soccer field, use the Kroc area. Add a parking deck or two. 

On 6/8/2023 at 7:58 PM, JTM1 said:

Glad u changed direction on MSC. With the recent news Of Ken May former Top Golf ceo and FedEx office ceo,  along with Corey Strong( Attorney ) forming a conservancy to have a mix of commercial uses, sports events and concerts, this is the best opportunity for MSC to be reopened and reimagined. The city continues to push for possibly hosting an NBA all star weekend well a secondary venue will be needed for that to become a reality. MSC is that secondary venue. Let’s see if Ken’s resume and expertise will be the difference maker 

18 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

Glad u changed direction on MSC. With the recent news Of Ken May former Top Golf ceo and FedEx office ceo,  along with Corey Strong( Attorney ) forming a conservancy to have a mix of commercial uses, sports events and concerts, this is the best opportunity for MSC to be reopened and reimagined. The city continues to push for possibly hosting an NBA all star weekend well a secondary venue will be needed for that to become a reality. MSC is that secondary venue. Let’s see if Ken’s resume and expertise will be the difference maker 

Here’s the article https://www.laprensalatina.com/conservancy-could-save-mid-south-coliseum/amp/

And I don’t think it has to be completely reimagined. I think there would be plenty of uses such as concerts/wrestling/other events that are smaller and wouldn’t be ideal for FEF. Also, local graduations. Concerts for Liberty Bowl/Southern Heritage classic. Championship games from the sports complex. Community events. Potential All-Star weekend or WNBA/minor league hockey franchises. 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 10:32 PM, MDC26 said:

Well, I like that idea then. Retail at both areas. If there’s a need for a soccer field, use the Kroc area. Add a parking deck or two. 

The fairgrounds is in the heart of the city and Liberty Park should become one of the most dense areas of the city.  They also need to get MATA  involved. 

18 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

I think forming a conservancy for the MSC is a brilliant idea and one that will allow them to raise the funds needed to redevelop it and maintain it.  I believe the MSC will qualify for federal funds.  I am glad the Daily Memphian article pointed out the city never issued an RFP and I think that is shameful and the $10 million the mayor wanted to use to raze it can go into the redevelopment of it. The question now is what will become of the space that is not the arena.   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

Here’s the article https://www.laprensalatina.com/conservancy-could-save-mid-south-coliseum/amp/

And I don’t think it has to be completely reimagined. I think there would be plenty of uses such as concerts/wrestling/other events that are smaller and wouldn’t be ideal for FEF. Also, local graduations. Concerts for Liberty Bowl/Southern Heritage classic. Championship games from the sports complex. Community events. Potential All-Star weekend or WNBA/minor league hockey franchises. 

Thank you for posting this. There is so much unused land that could be developed around the MSC, and being in an opportunity zone would invite outside investors once the coliseum is operating again. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Great news - sometimes you just gotta fund it yourself (can he do the Grand Hyatt next??).

Breaking: FedEx founder will help fund Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium renovations; U of M could control stadium

https://dailymemphian.com/section/metro/article/39803/memphis-stadium-project-go-grizzlies-fedexforum-negotiations

The City of Memphis, aided by a $50 million donation from FedEx Corporation founder Fred Smith and his family, could transfer ownership of Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium to the University of Memphis Foundation and infuse $120 million in state money into stadium renovations, the city, U of M and the Smith family told The Daily Memphian. 

The Smith family donation frees up cash for FedExForum’s renovations and was pledged with the intent that it “unlocks” both stadium deals. 

The deal still needs to clear the Memphis City Council, which will be briefed Tuesday morning, Nov. 21, and could vote in the coming weeks. 

The $120 million comes from the $350 million in cash the state of Tennessee gave the city for its stadium deals at the stadium and at FedExForum. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, VSRJ said:

Great news - sometimes you just gotta fund it yourself (can he do the Grand Hyatt next??).

Breaking: FedEx founder will help fund Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium renovations; U of M could control stadium

https://dailymemphian.com/section/metro/article/39803/memphis-stadium-project-go-grizzlies-fedexforum-negotiations

Shoutout to Fred Smith! Flex ya muscles dude!  LOL. 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 7:58 PM, JTM1 said:

If you know this site and Memphis you will understand why retail is off of central vs southern ave.  Southern is not that kind of street.  Also the Kroc center owns their soccer fields and the new fields next to the Sports complex are under construction they serve as part of the revenue generation for the sports and events center.  There is not much added retail as that was an agreement between cooper young.  They did not want this development to pull from the local neighborhood retail areas.  The goal is to provide some entertainment which cooper young does not provide and leave the tourist to explore the cooper young area and patronize the existing establishments.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2023 at 11:44 PM, Memphis4ever said:

If you know this site and Memphis you will understand why retail is off of central vs southern ave.  Southern is not that kind of street.  Also the Kroc center owns their soccer fields and the new fields next to the Sports complex are under construction they serve as part of the revenue generation for the sports and events center.  There is not much added retail as that was an agreement between cooper young.  They did not want this development to pull from the local neighborhood retail areas.  The goal is to provide some entertainment which cooper young does not provide and leave the tourist to explore the cooper young area and patronize the existing establishments.

I am familiar with Southern. While it doesn’t have the traffic volume of Central, it does have traffic and I expect that will only increase as the fairgrounds become denser. I noticed there is some type of new construction happening on Southern down from the fairgrounds. I sense the reason they proposed adding soccer fields, on the Southern edge, was due to mayor Strickland planning to raze the coliseum and build a soccer stadium in that location.  

Building a soccer stadium at the fairgrounds will not happen and I sense the coliseum will be handed over to a conservancy and redeveloped. I believe the Paul Young administration will find the revenue for building a soccer stadium and AZP, but it will not happen where Strickland proposed.

One of the good things coming with the UofM acquiring ownership of the Liberty Bowl is that it will encourage more private development at the fairgrounds. This is also serves an opportunity for the city to build parking similar the downtown mobility center at the fairgrounds because I read it has been a success with generating revenue above expectations.

I personally hope the city has abandoned the idea of soccer fields on that property and will focus on ice skating. They missed an opportunity by not adding an ice sheet in the design of the sports event center and I hope they will look at adding one as a future addition. The ice rink at AZP proves it. I saw kids Saturday night, at AZP, with their parents that couldn’t skate a lick, but they were definitely trying.

I am one of those people that believe more isn’t always better, but in the case of having amenities at the fairgrounds they need more to make it work for both visitors and Memphians. I don’t think adding more retail near the MSEC will hurt the CY area, but I think it will make hosting events at the fairgrounds that much more attractive.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...