500 2nd Ave. South, 39 story residential; 29 story hotel; 32 story residential on full 3.4 acre block (Cumulus Radio site)

smeagolsfree

Frankly it doesn't seem to me that the 2nd/Peabody project was radically modified in height because of complaints from CV residents.  I think the change was prompted by not having a corporate anchor for the office building (Pinnacle decided to go to NY).   Of course it could have changed because of a powerful resident of CV or an adjacent building.  I realize that often there's a powerful 'patron' of a key politician who lives in one of these buildings. Not saying it's the case here, but one can wonder if a key members of the planning commission is beholden to someone who lives in City View.  It's not unusual in politics, especially on a local level like this.

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

Frankly it doesn't seem to me that the 2nd/Peabody project was radically modified in height because of complaints from CV residents.  I think the change was prompted by not having a corporate anchor for the office building (Pinnacle decided to go to NY).   Of course it could have changed because of a powerful resident of CV or an adjacent building.  I realize that often there's a powerful 'patron' of a key politician who lives in one of these buildings. Not saying it's the case here, but one can wonder if a key members of the planning commission is beholden to someone who lives in City View.  It's not unusual in politics, especially on a local level like this.

Not to weigh to deeply into that conversation, but I do not really think this to be the case on 2nd and Peabody. Planning has a numbers of tools and guidelines that they are restricted by. 2nd and Peabody went from 618 foot tall Office/Hotel down to 433 foot Residential as it was probably discussed in planning that it would be more easily achievable to gain such a height modification per the current CCM. While the Downtown Code does dictate most height, the Community Character Manual (CCM) is what drives alot of context. 2nd and Peabody would've needed to re-draw the boundary lines in the CCM (as discussed on that thread) to make the original proposal remotely plausible. The revised proposal was most likely discussed with Planning in more detail to help achieve certain things. 

This site will probably have a bit more scrutiny because it is that much closer to the developments. 2nd and Peabody is going to have the benefit (and hardship) of being the first one in, as well as having parcels on either side of them that are ripe for redevelopment. Because of this though, I see this parcel being shorter than 2nd and Peabody but taller than City Lights. If I had to take a guess, I would say we will probably seeing something closer to the Hotel height of 2nd and Peabody at 234'. So if I had to guess we will be looking for a proposal raging from 250'to 325' tall. Complete and utter guess too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• smeagolsfree changed the title to 500 2nd Ave. South, 1-45 story/1-23 story/1-16 story, full block of 3.4 acres (Cumulus Radio site)
7 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

I think 45 stories is a stretch, especially at that corner, but the residential, hotel, and open space uses are all called for by the overriding neighborhood policy. 

Can it be possible? If they click a bunch of the right boxes .. ie .. Leed , underground parking, green space etc. 

Gensler is definitely a high-powered architecture firm (Largest in the world actually with over 2,500 registered architects)! Glad to see their involvement with a high-profile design.

55 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Gensler is the architect.

500 2nd south1.png

500 2nd south.png

46 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

500 2nd 5.png

500 2nd 4.png

500 2nd 3.png

Love the high-rise design. Material Palette is nice, mix of steel and masonry. I can't image brick going up beyond the amenity deck, so that may transition to metal panel up high. These are clearly concept renderings and will adjust as things progress. I use the "Amenity Beacon" as an example as there is clearly no structure being shown as there will most certainly be primary columns that cut through that space.

53 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

500 2nd hotel2.png

500 2nd hotel.png

Don't like this at all! The stacked boxes are boring and over done (IMO). The pedestal looks very closed off.  Just makes me think of this intersection by the capital...

image.thumb.png.f2fac7197416f83a4b272c748048a6a4.png

56 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

500 2nd landscape 2.png

500 2nd landscape.png

Love all the open space! This space along with the 2nd and Peabody space needed to speak to one another so one did not become an island. It has the potential to drive connections down into downtown and further out into Rutledge Hill and beyond.

As @downtownresident, to achieve so much open space, the massing was going to be taller as the developers will still be looking for ROI while making an attractive development. What is with both this and 2nd and Peabody's love of water integration? Adds quite the dynamic of cost and structure below to cary and pump all that water around.

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

500 2nd site plan.png

Really not a fan of this site orientation though. The high-rise should be up against Peabody Street (and I would expect pushback from planning and the neighborhood on it) as that is at least up against the approved taller buildings. Plus putting 45 stories next to 2 and 3 story townhomes can very easily create a hostile environment. Personally I would've put the 17 stories on Lea as it creates some height, but is a better transition to the lower height structures. Put the hotel along Rutledge again as a transition building from City Lights, Rolling Mill Hill areas. Place the high-rise at the corner of 2nd and Peabody or entirely along Peabody. I don't believe 45 stories will last, that is 9 stories TALLER than tallest portion of 2nd and Peabody and 12 stories taller than the building it would be adjacent too at 2nd and Peabody. I think it would shrink down a bit.

• Like 1