500 2nd Ave. South, 39 story residential; 29 story hotel; 32 story residential on full 3.4 acre block (Cumulus Radio site)

smeagolsfree

2 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

Here is a quick photoshop of the two properties side-by-side

912200734_2ndPeabodyCumulus.thumb.jpg.8a8a442ba00557c9f3734e9aa1876bb2.jpg

If I remember correctly, those townhomes are non-historic, and will likely be redeveloped at some point. With some additional policy you could step down to Rutledge hill within that block. 

I do think putting the tall boy on that corner limits the impact to City Lights, which lets be honest, will be the loudest group in this area. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

If I remember correctly, those townhomes are non-historic, and will likely be redeveloped at some point. With some additional policy you could step down to Rutledge hill within that block. 

While the condos are not historic, they are recent construction and tearing them down is really not a sustainable approach to development. So if I were part of planning I would say we shouldn't expect them to be redeveloped for another 20 years. 

Also, the condos aren't historic, but the parcels facing Rutledge Street are part of a National Historic Landmark District. Looking at the way the design team "stopped" the 45 story tower, it almost aligns with the condos and stops at the historic district boundary. But being realistic, to transition from 45 stories, we would come down to 30 or 25 (gasp!) and then that is even more closely butted up to a 2-story historic structure. Just would create a very weird dynamic.

image.png.02833ae718e00451fe7505bfb12bccdc.png

• Like 1

• markhollin changed the title to 500 2nd Ave. South, 45 story residential; 23 story hotel; 16 story residential on full 3.4 acre block (Cumulus Radio site)
1 hour ago, nashville born said:

To the point about Gensler, I didn't know that and yet, when reading the NP article, I was super excited to see some big boy city players (Chicago, San Fran) in the mix as it made me think there is a good chance something actually gets built...sorta like with Boston's Congress Group.  

As for the site orientation, I laughed to myself when I saw the tallest building placed RIGHT NEXT to City Lights.  Just sort of laughed as if the developers were saying, in your face (literally and figuratively).  Yet, after reading Bos2's comment, I started thinking that perhaps the orientation is a deliberate ploy.  Downtown makes a good point about 45 stories being a stretch, yet as Smeags said, this is likely a trial balloon.  I'm pretty sure they are aware of the issues Congress Group encountered.   Back to my ploy point.  Maybe they lead with the 45'er being right next to City Lights so they can come back after receiving pushback and make a concession offer of putting it right where Bos suggests, in the NW corner of the lot.   It's a fairly effective mental/negotiating tactic used by many..  I'm willing to pay a max of $50, yet I lead with $30.  You balk and I incrementally inch higher.  If we settle at $40, $45, or $50, you're happy because you perceive I compromised/conceded.  Hope that's the case here and the height (whatever the end figure is) becomes a non-issue.

Earlier, I posted it would be a shame to have this site go out with a whimper.  If we get anything close to this proposal, words eaten (gladly)!!!  

I had to double check as Gensler has been involved in 5th and Broadway (Design Architect with Gresham Smith as Local) and the Aertson Hotel. So glad that they are coming back with more punch. Their designs have a way of changing cityscapes (and their fees do too. They average 1.0 to 1.15 billion in fees annually).

The package will certainly be fined as the development team goes before Planning on 09/09. I will be curious to see what that package looks like and how "developed" the proposal is. Depending on their conversations re-arraning the site is always in the cards. Just look at the 2nd and Peabody change as we went from two tall boys to three, much better designed, but shorter towers. All about the process.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

I suppose the green space across the middle of the block is a bargaining chip; as if this plan is denied, they'll return with a "full chunk" of a building that will block everything from City View and other surrounding properties.  

That would be awesome!  We need City Lights to have their view 100% blocked so they no longer get to have a say about anything related to building height.

• Like 4

I hope it gets built with the tallest building at 45 stories.   However, after seeing the radio/tv tower there, I was wondering, why not put something like this there...

Tokyo Skytree Guide: All About Tokyo's Tallest Icon & How to Buy  Tickets|THE GATE|Japan Travel Magazine: Find Tourism & Travel Info 

Hey, if it towers over everything in Tokyo, why not Nashville?  And, because of the height and open structure, it wouldn't block the view for those City Lights people... :tw_mrgreen:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3