Charlotte suburban development in South Carolina

rancenc

Thought I would create a new forum to reflect the development that continues in the suburban communities across the state line in South Carolina.  One of the most rapidly growing towns in the area continues to add development.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2021/08/04/saussy-burbank-springfield-town-center-fort-mill.html?ana=TRUEANTHEMFB_CH&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A Trending Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR3kb3xDbtplrG_JI0U4CzJDLUID9H0k8vjwgJ-Q6I57Y3BQCkm3vk6Cbrs

Edited by rancenc
  • Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 6:40 PM, KJHburg said:

Yes I agree Indian Land is quite congested and you better work in south Charlotte but not much further as that commute up 521 is a killer.  Fort Mill Rock Hill and Lake Wylie are all more accessible for sure.  

I commute from Commonwealth to Lancaster SC via 77 >Rock Hill then down 5 to meet up at 521 near Van Wyck. I do however take 521 home sometimes and can attest to the increased traffic in the area. The new traffic lights are most annoying going that route. The drive is still pretty open once I get on S.521 where it meets 5, but development is slowly creeping down closer toward Lancaster City. Id imagine this a good thing eventually for DT Lancaster, but am concerned about the long term traffic dump onto 521, given that it its basically the only major thouroughfare from Lancaster to Charlotte. On a side note, I would like to see Dave Lyle in Rock Hill connect to 521 as that would give an alternate route to 77 aside from  rts 5 or 160.  Ill have to take some pics of DT Lancaster and general area along the commute, sometime ..

• Like 2

On 9/27/2020 at 4:28 PM, tarhoosier said:

Sunday corona virus drive to Lancaster South Carolina. This is the Greek Revival courthouse in the Red Rose city built in 1828 and in use until the early 2000's. Now with new courthouse and municipal and county services buildings beside and across the street. Used as a history museum now. IMG_0925.thumb.JPG.125b06fc9543e2b44e0362b43a3874dc.JPG

Lancaster on a Sunday afternoon is empty as Chernobyl. Main street is Meeting Street. Here it is:

IMG_0929.JPG

IMG_0932.JPG

First time I was in Lancaster downtown was ~maybe~2003-2004 and it was a husk of a city. The original Springs mill was still there, though mostly vacant. The mill is now gone. It was a forbidding brick castle of a building meant to defend against outsiders, at least as I saw it. One thing has not changed. Still unpopulated downtown and obvious why. One functioning business, Leigh Ann's restaurant, open Sundays and between the old courthouse and the new.

IMG_0932.JPG

One block off Meeting Street one sees a several block string of this:

IMG_0928.JPG

IMG_0926.JPG

IMG_0927.JPG

For those who live in the thriving new developments of North Lancaster County, Del Webb community and much more, then if they ever happen to go to the county service center they will enter 1973.

One fine thing discovered today in Westside Cemetery. I am a cemetery visitor wherever I go. This is a new one for me as a grave marker and I rather like it. Not for me, you understand, but as a monument of distinction for two people born early years of 20th century is stands out in a good way. Maybe a family member was a metal artist.

IMG_0935.JPG

IMG_0936.JPG

This is my visit to Lancaster. From "Ring Cities" thread

• Like 4

Red Ventures is downsizing their office foot print in Indian Land. They are seeking a tenant to sub-lease 240,000 of office in RV1 and RV3 as they adapt to a distributed work model and permanent hybrid structure: https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2021/08/23/red-ventures-seeks-tenant-indian-land-office-space.html

• Like 2

On 8/23/2021 at 5:07 PM, CLT2014 said:

Red Ventures is downsizing their office foot print in Indian Land. They are seeking a tenant to sub-lease 240,000 of office in RV1 and RV3 as they adapt to a distributed work model and permanent hybrid structure: https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2021/08/23/red-ventures-seeks-tenant-indian-land-office-space.html

I think my girlfriend is most upset that they will be losing the Bowling Alley and the Sushi Bar as part of this...... :tw_lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Was down in the old PTL, Heritage USA aka Regent Park development in Fort Mill.   Unfinished tallest building in York County, apartments, townhomes, SF homes, a campground, a church, senior apartments, single story office warehouse buildings, a chapel and no longer a golf course.  One of the metro's most unusual communities for sure.  

IMG_3918.JPG

IMG_3919.JPG

IMG_3920.JPG

IMG_3921.JPG

IMG_3922.JPG

IMG_3923.JPG

IMG_3924.JPG

IMG_3925.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, rancenc said:

Excited that this is coming along. I really hope the nearby redevelopment of the spring’s mill “The Thread” finds some anchor tenants soon.  And would love to see more action downtown in the future.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, rancenc said:

It'll be just like Camden, NJ to Philadelphia, Oakland Park, Kansas to Kansas City,  MO; Covington, KY to Cincinnati; Newark to New York, Arlington, VA to Washington DC, etc. It's going to have an individual identity as a sense of place but ultimately it's going to get absorbed into the urbanization of Greater Charlotte. This is something that occurs all over the US with bi-state or multistate metropolitan areas. It's why they'll have to be accepted that both regions can have different goals for their local jurisdictions while accepting regionalism as the way to move everyone forward. 

Edited by kayman

• 2 weeks later...