Charlotte suburban development in South Carolina

rancenc

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

We actually have a fairly high new car registration fee in NC on vehicles bought in the state and people moving here to get their NC tags and so forth.  SC is just playing catch up and in my opinion SC and TN have the worst roads in the southeast.  

Those local vehicle registration fees go into a general fund state wide pot.  Rarely are the funds given to the areas needing their growing needs directly addressed equitably.  The purpose of local impact fees is make developers pay for the direct impacts they have on the local infrastructure (roads, water & sewer, need for sidewalks, drainage, schools, etc. )  with especially developments of regional impact (DRI).

Wake, Durham, and Orange counties already have them and doing a better job with impacts of rapid growth and infrastructure needs being met. 

Edited by kayman
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, rancenc said:

Follow up article to @CLT2014's posting in the ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT thread on this relocation to Lancaster County.

https://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/distribution-logistics/83586/

while good for the Charlotte  region this is coming out of Greensboro which I don't like as much for my Tar Heel State. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gallo Wines is now bottling vodka down there in Fort Lawn in Chester County. 

""E. & J. Gallo Winery is continuing to ramp up at its massive East Coast operations hub in Chester County.

Last month, Gallo opened its second production line there, which is for the company's New Amsterdam Vodka line. The nation's largest winemaker now has about 230 full-time employees at the Fort Lawn hub, according to Erich Kaepp, who leads Gallo's Eastern operations.

The line opened on schedule. That's after Gallo opened its first production line in February and its regional distribution center, the first piece of the Chester County operations, in October 2022.

Modesto, California-based Gallo is targeting an early July opening for its third production line in Chester County. That would be ahead of its original plan to open the third line in August.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/06/06/gallo-winery-chester-county-new-amsterdam-vodka.html?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Big news for those Costco shoppers the 4th regional store will be in Indian Land on 521 south of Ballantyne.  It will add a good bit of traffic to this congested area.   However it will be close to the very affluent areas of Union County like Marvin, Waxhaw etc. 

""On June 12, Lancaster County Council approved the first of three required readings for a rezoning request from Crosland regarding a 28-acre site at and adjacent to 8918 Charlotte Highway. It would allow for the development of a new Costco Wholesale Corp. (NASDAQ: COST) location. The site is directly adjacent to The Exchange at Indian Land, the 130-acre mixed-use development being led by Crosland.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/06/16/crosland-southeast-the-exchange-indian-land-costco.html

• Like 3

On 6/16/2023 at 9:27 PM, KJHburg said:

Big news for those Costco shoppers the 4th regional store will be in Indian Land on 521 south of Ballantyne.  It will add a good bit of traffic to this congested area.   However it will be close to the very affluent areas of Union County like Marvin, Waxhaw etc. 

""On June 12, Lancaster County Council approved the first of three required readings for a rezoning request from Crosland regarding a 28-acre site at and adjacent to 8918 Charlotte Highway. It would allow for the development of a new Costco Wholesale Corp. (NASDAQ: COST) location. The site is directly adjacent to The Exchange at Indian Land, the 130-acre mixed-use development being led by Crosland.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/06/16/crosland-southeast-the-exchange-indian-land-costco.html

Good news!  Now we can await the 5th metro area location to materialize in the Concord/Kannapolis area. 

Edited by kayman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Data-center operator QTS acquires hundreds of acres in York County for $11M

QTS Realty Trust Ashburn data centerexpand

QTS acquires and operates data centers throughout the U.S. and Europe and is headquartered in Overland Park, Kansas.
JEFF ALLEN

A large data-center operator has acquired a significant amount of land in the South Carolina portion of the Charlotte region.

According to York County real estate records, two entities affiliated with QTS Realty Trust LLC acquired a total of approximately 400 acres off S.C. Highway 274 in recent weeks for more than $11.2 million. One of the entities, QTS York I LLC, acquired its land from Catawba River Investments LLC, records show. The other entity, QTS York II LLC, acquired its land from York County. The deeds for the transactions were recorded earlier this month...........

I

• Like 3

No that's exactly what I was pointing out. I believe the ~400 acres is that spot to the left of 274. (It's named Daimler Blvd - must have been a expansion that never went through. I think they have a plant elsewhere in the area)

So yes the datacenter being literally across the street from Catawba Nuclear station (generating capacity approx total 2.2 MW split between two units) I'm sure has its advantages. I wonder what kind of load it will ultimately draw.

• Thanks 1

I believe  some electricity utilities  require approval by the utility before any increase or upgrade or new electric using project. The company must maintain the ability to provide service to all customers. New or expanded users may be denied or at least cautioned that service is subject to limits or higher cost. Is that true with Duke?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Rock Hill project with nearly 650 residential units nears rezoning approval

•  

A key step was taken earlier this week in the approvals process for a major development proposed in Rock Hill.

At its meeting on Sept. 25, Rock Hill City Council passed the first reading for a rezoning request from York Capital LLC and Albright Corners LLC. The applicants, which documents show are led by Russell Sinacori, seek to rezone a 127-acre site at Mount Holly and Albright roads. The rezoning would allow for the development of nearly 650 residential units and significant amounts of commercial space, city documents state. A city spokesperson said the final reading is expected to be considered by city council on Oct. 23.............................................

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/09/28/rock-hill-rezoning-residential-commercial-project.html

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Crucial_Infra said:

I always think about if York County were part of North Carolina, Georgia would no longer be ranked ahead of NC in population. 

Blame it on how some want ed to deal with  the Catawbas. According to my book "How the States got their Shapes"  SC wanted all the tribal or most of them into their state not in NC.  That is why there are so jogs and niches in the state lines.  

• Like 4

On 10/24/2023 at 2:46 AM, KJHburg said:

Blame it on how some want ed to deal with  the Catawbas. According to my book "How the States got their Shapes"  SC wanted all the tribal or most of them into their state not in NC.  That is why there are so jogs and niches in the state lines.  

Specifically, the Catawbas, and for the purpose of keeping their reservation. That issue of Catawba lands being taken came up several years ago when the lawsuits and claims against title insurance companies came up. Interesting stuff.  Your book?  You wrote it?