Prediction & Speculation Thread

smeagolsfree

On 9/13/2021 at 2:26 PM, TheSound said:

What's crazy is that just 2 or 3 years ago, everyone would've instantly known it was a joke.  Now?  Hey, maybe there's something to some of this!  Haha.  Give it another 2 or 3 years.

In case it hasn't been said yet, welcome to the forum!  And, based on your comment, you've moved from 'long time lurker' to 'active poster' and that is cool.  Again, welcome!

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Instinct tells me that Buckingham would have sold their property at 12th & Division by now if they were going to sell it. My guess is they may come up with a new plan this next year and get on the band wagon. They could have made some easy money if they would have sold their property as they only paid 850K in 2012 for the .48 acres. That parcel will probably go for 8 to 12 million based on the current land prices we have been seeing and I am sure they have had offers.

So, look for movement on this property in 2022! Thus sayeth the magic 8 Ball!

That magic eight ball is the man!!!!  And I hope they come back with the exact same plan.  That proposed tower was a thing of beauty IMO!

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Things have been a little slow as of late but the 8 ball is out of the closet and has new batteries.   Things are starting to percolate again is all the 8 ball can say.

Some of this is long range a few of you may know about but a deal is in the works for a key parcel, but as with anything, no wine is served before its time. Deals take a long time to put together and it takes sometimes years for things to happen.

Many deals being worked on right now!!!!!!! My count is a minimum of at least a half dozen just in the inner interstate loop of what I call downtown/SoBro.

Hopeful that one or two of those deals involve some prime surface lots in "old" CBD area.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, nashville born said:

Looking for predictions by when the next non-flat roof project will be announced.   What say you?

I think it’s a combo of our height regulations (didn’t Tony say it took severals years of working with the FAA to get things right on his YMCA design?)…and maybe even the current designs of architects.  Take the beautiful crowned towers in Atlanta.  I think all of those came during a certain period of time when crowned towers were still happening frequently…but I’m not sure those buildings in their current architecture would be built like that today.  I bet they would be more boxy (with maybe a slope of something).

I would love a traditional Chrysler / ESB type building built here…and I think it’s going to take someone like Tony as his last gift to Nashville…or some billionaire company like a bank that wants to “wow” Nashville.  I’m not sure either one of those happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

I think it’s a combo of our height regulations (didn’t Tony say it took severals years of working with the FAA to get things right on his YMCA design?)…and maybe even the current designs of architects.  Take the beautiful crowned towers in Atlanta.  I think all of those came during a certain period of time when crowned towers were still happening frequently…but I’m not sure those buildings in their current architecture would be built like that today.  I bet they would be more boxy (with maybe a slope of something).

I would love a traditional Chrysler / ESB type building built here…and I think it’s going to take someone like Tony as his last gift to Nashville…or some billionaire company like a bank that wants to “wow” Nashville.  I’m not sure either one of those happens.

Signature Tower?

• Like 1

I just think that the majority of investors are no longer willing to sink money into something that ultimately serves no concrete purpose to them or the tenants of a building. In general, I feel that far more developers are strictly opportunists looking to value engineer at all costs just to get their foot in the door so they can then sell the cheap construction back to other investors and then it's not even their problem anymore. Even the more elegant proposals that we are getting now (One22One, Pinnacle in Nashville Yards,  800 Lea & 1000 Church)  focus more on texture and facade effect that anything much in regard to the silhouette at the top.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

Take the beautiful crowned towers in Atlanta.  I think all of those came during a certain period of time when crowned towers were still happening frequently…but I’m not sure those buildings in their current architecture would be built like that today.  I bet they would be more boxy (with maybe a slope of something).

31 minutes ago, henburg said:

I just think that the majority of investors are no longer willing to sink money into something that ultimately serves no concrete purpose to them or the tenants of a building. In general, I feel that far more developers are strictly opportunists looking to value engineer at all costs...

I briefly lived in Atlanta in the early nineties as many of those crowned and other non-flat roof beauties were coming online.  I seem to recall there was a city ordinance passed prohibiting flat rooflines and I thought that was why it happened and not just because of the trend.  Yet either way, the result is a  skyline that's a thing of beauty IMO. 

To the point of value engineering/no longer willing to sink money into something that serves no purpose, I get it.  I don't completely agree, yet I get it.  To me, the concept of "curb appeal" applies .  An attractive exterior including the roof, increases the probability a prospective client buys, just as the interior finishes do.  Again, I get it.  I'll interact more with the inside than the outside.  You can say the same for the home you bought, yet how it looks outside tends to be a major factor in the decision.  So if including a nice crown or rooftop design will draw them in, is that really a wasted cost? 

Beyond all that, investors will do what's required to MAKE MONEY.  That's why I'm a proponent of a city ordinance.  Don't allow it the continued value engineering and poor architecture to happen.  The investors will come.  That's a given.  Let's make sure Nashville reaps a benefit as well.

• Like 2

One thing everyone needs to keep in mind is how the business world has changed in the recent decades. Crowns were a way to make your building stand out so it was recognizable. Nowadays companies just put their names on towers and it is a much more cost positive way to gain visibility. Now crowns are viewed as a vanity piece, not needed and not really bringing in money.

Just because it is a flat roof, does not make it poor design. It is a developer/money thing more than any design. Designs almost always go some more than a flat roof, but while they get VE'd a lot, roofs also allow for very cheap real estate to put utilitarian items. Putting a city ordinance in place would be effective, but it may also start a slippery slope of defining building form. It would be very easy for a developer to come in and say "let's extend the curtain wall up past the roof and then put a 1% slope on the top frame. It's not flat so it is in compliance with the ordinance"  I would expect our city would go from a flat roof city to a ski slope city with many buildings having the same look, but slightly sloped.

• Like 3

Made this prediction a while back amongst friends but now sharing it here:

BOLD prediction / GENIUS idea.

With the advent of Nashville’s soon to be built domed stadium being used to further draw mega conventions downtown… The aging and antiquated Opryland Hotel & Convention Center will be converted into a luxury retirement village. The musical shows portion of Opryland will be revived to entertain residents. Convention Space could be converted for recreational options like bowling, mini-golf, curling and shuffleboard. Additional connecting towers could be added some as hotels for visiting family … as well as add ons like TopGolf. 

The adjacent Opry Mills will be converted from gang recruitment facility / ongoing crime scene into a world class mega-nursing home / memory care facility / geriatric hospital.

188C123F-CB83-4119-AF93-A6200387851A.jpeg

890F1E64-1C69-4B47-BFE4-948EF3B407FD.jpeg

C38EDC17-3D29-4854-8CB4-D63BB4B68F37.webp

E8016561-2C2D-404D-913F-B88506A233DE.webp

Edited by PleinNash
Additional thought
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1