Jump to content

Prediction & Speculation Thread


smeagolsfree

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, PillowTalk4 said:

Had Opryland kept the park and developed it, they'd probably have a Universal Studios or mini-Disney area by now.  But hey everybody shops and shopping is a wonderful family activity..... :tw_expressionless:

Yeah--closing it was a headscratching move. I know they cited wanting a year-round park, competition from Dollywood and wasn't it flooding issues too? I can't recall exactly.

But it was such an original park, and concept, and could've been so much more, I feel like. 

Dollywood's now around 3 million visitors per year, and I think the year Opryland closed, they were neck and neck with Dollywood, too. 

Bummer the area is a shopping mall now. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


16 hours ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

Yeah--closing it was a headscratching move. I know they cited wanting a year-round park, competition from Dollywood and wasn't it flooding issues too? I can't recall exactly.

But it was such an original park, and concept, and could've been so much more, I feel like. 

Dollywood's now around 3 million visitors per year, and I think the year Opryland closed, they were neck and neck with Dollywood, too. 

Bummer the area is a shopping mall now. 

Opryland didn't need to be year-round.  Disney was not its competition.  Six Flags , Kings Dominion and yes eventually Dollywood was its competition.  None of those parks in the region that Opryland competed in were open year-round.   All they had to do was some seasonal events just like those parks did.  And, the enclosed theaters could have operated year-round.

Flooding is an issue in that entire area.  To my recollection the park only flooded once (maybe twice) in its history.  I worked there for two season in the late 70's and it never flooded.  I worked the Country Bumpkin Bumper Cars ride which at the time was the very last ride in the back of the park close to the Cumberland.  A new rollercoaster was later added to that area.  Again, it never flooded during that time.   They took the apparent risk of flooding when they built the park.  That was not a reason to close it in my opinion.  A poorly thought out business decision is really what closed Opryland.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another reason I heard about the closing of Opryland was that it was essentially land locked and there was really no room for expansion. Theme parks also need to evolve with new  attractions. The park was already not that large and taking 20% or so down every year or 2 to remodel was problematic.  I also worked there 2 summers in the early 80's, serving Mexican food in the western area.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, PleinNash said:

Y’all wondering where Elon moves Twitter’s HQ? Texas would make sense…. diversification would bring Nashville into that conversation. 

This would be an interesting move. 

I could see Texas (Austin, Dallas) winning out over Tennessee (Nashville). But you never know. 

I actually just read that both Texas and Florida are trying to persuade him to move Twitter's HQ to their states.

Also, the platform "Parlor" moved its HQ to Nashville, didn't it--or will be, from Nevada.

That would be a huge win for Nashville!

Edited by jjbradleyBrooklyn
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

This would be an interesting move. 

I could see Texas (Austin, Dallas) winning out over Tennessee (Nashville). But you never know. 

I actually just read that both Texas and Florida are trying to persuade him to move Twitter's HQ to their states.

Also, the platform "Parlor" moved its HQ to Nashville, didn't it--or will be, from Nevada.

That would be a huge win for Nashville!

It might move to Miami because they are trying to get tech companies to move here. So far literally almost all of the cryptocurrency companies have moved here (like blockchain). 
 

I would be happy to see it go anywhere other than Texas to be honest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Binbin98 said:

It might move to Miami because they are trying to get tech companies to move here. So far literally almost all of the cryptocurrency companies have moved here (like blockchain). 
 

I would be happy to see it go anywhere other than Texas to be honest.

With Elon Musk now a Texas resident, plus the state having  a big presence of Tesla and SpaceX, I would not be surprised if Twitter were to land there.

Edited by donNdonelson2
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, colemangaines said:

Was sleuthing around on Parcel Viewer and it looks like the Dialysis Clinic in Midtown owns 2 ENTIRE city blocks (Church St. to Hayes St., 16th Ave to 18th Ave.) That's around 9.3 continuous acres under one owner, directly adjacent to both Broadwest and the Reed District. 

I feel like this has huge potential for a large scale project in Midtown. Some of the Church Street tenants like WKND and Canvas would be good to keep, but they could fit in just like the old warehouse in the Reed District.

I seem to remember some discussion at the in-person meeting Saturday about a certain out of town developer looking for some land to develop a project similar to the one they'd developed in their hometown - this seems like the perfect candidate for that.

image.thumb.png.97442954ec3c7f009ae9a234cab02cbe.png

Yep, they have been long term landowners there for some time. they also have some other parcels throughout Midtown as well. I think they are holding on to those parcels long term as far as I can see. If anything, they will to a land lease on vacant parcels or continue to rent their buildings out.

If you continue your search, you will see certain persons own a majority of the key parcels that front West End and other main streets through midtown. I have done my own map of the area. The big landowners in the area are not going anywhere. These are Baptist, HCA, & Vanderbilt., with Dialysis Clinic, Vastland, Grace Partners, Michael Schmerling, The LaGasse family, & Chad Cooke. Of these Vastland, Cooke, Schmerling (who partners with Tony G) and Grace are all developers. HCA, Baptist, & Vanderbilt are still buying property and the remainder of the large blocks of land are now owned by Hines or GBT.

You have parcels here and there that can and will be developed, but the big parcels other than the Dialysis blocks are spoken for. I've been looking at the area for 3 or 4 years and I have been slowly seeing the get nibbled up. The dairy is next to be nabbed!

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, FrankNash said:

So.....two more days before the World Cup Committee announcement of 2026 American host cities.  Do y'all think we will make the cut?  My prediction is just barely.  I'm a yes!

This article suggests our chances are 50-50 — at best.

https://sports.yahoo.com/world-cup-2026-host-cities-170311724.html

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


I think that the new stadium will be central to us receiving a bid, and I think it's possibly one of the reasons that Titans ownership has shifted in that direction. In short, yes, I do think we're in.

Edited by henburg
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, FrankNash said:

So.....two more days before the World Cup Committee announcement of 2026 American host cities.  Do y'all think we will make the cut?  My prediction is just barely.  I'm a yes!

That would be awesome!! Hoping for good news...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am hopeful... if they can get assurances that our new stadium will be good to go in four years time, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't get it.  I know that transit is a factor in their decision too, but it seems to me that the fact that our stadium is centrally located within easy walking distance of thousands upon thousands of hotel rooms would certainly alleviate many of those concerns.  Every other city on that list has better transit than we do, but that isn't going to make a difference if the stadium isn't accessible via transit or on foot, especially when it comes to bids like Kansas City and Boston which are offering up stadiums way out in the suburbs.  Can you imagine how amazing a global advertisement for Nashville that would be?  This city... four years from now, after all of these current projects have been completed, being broadcast onto televisions from Beirut to Bangkok to Belo Horizonte... wow... I get chills just thinking about it... 

... but let's face it, deep down, we all know they'd still use that one piece of across-the-river stock footage from 1997.  :lol:

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

I am hopeful... if they can get assurances that our new stadium will be good to go in four years time, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't get it.  I know that transit is a factor in their decision too, but it seems to me that the fact that our stadium is centrally located within easy walking distance of thousands upon thousands of hotel rooms would certainly alleviate many of those concerns.  Every other city on that list has better transit than we do, but that isn't going to make a difference if the stadium isn't accessible via transit or on foot, especially when it comes to bids like Kansas City and Boston which are offering up stadiums way out in the suburbs.  Can you imagine how amazing a global advertisement for Nashville that would be?  This city... four years from now, after all of these current projects have been completed, being broadcast onto televisions from Beirut to Bangkok to Belo Horizonte... wow... I get chills just thinking about it... 

... but let's face it, deep down, we all know they'd still use that one piece of across-the-river stock footage from 1997.  :lol:

Our first event in the new stadium being World Cup Soccer would be pretty epic.

I will say, though…the article makes it sound like we would have to convince them without a doubt that our stadium would be completed before WCS begins…and I’m not sure we can guarantee that yet.  So…it will be interesting to see how we’ve handled that.  If we don’t get it, I think it will be because the timing is still up in the air.

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

Our first event in the new stadium being World Cup Soccer would be pretty epic.

I will say, though…the article makes it sound like we would have to convince them without a doubt that our stadium would be completed before WCS begins…and I’m not sure we can guarantee that yet.  So…it will be interesting to see how we’ve handled that.  If we don’t get it, I think it will be because the timing is still up in the air.

Right.  and as I said before , it probably won’t be just a guarantee that the stadium be done. What about the area surrounding it? I’m sure the soccer folks don’t want a empty construction zone or half complete buildings right in the area of such a grand event.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.