Queensbridge Collective - 1 tower, maybe 2

CarolinaDaydreamin

• CarolinaDaydreamin changed the title to Riverside Investment Site- Midnight Diner/Uptown Cabaret
19 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Based on the conversation in the LU thread, this thread begins the conversation of the site speculated to have a multi use development at the intersection of E. Morehead and S Tryon currently hosting the classy Uptown Cabaret and Midnight Diner.

Both of these businesses bring a lot of traffic, I don't think Midnight diner would open in the same place unless they wanted to have a similar setup to Redeye in the Epicentre, but I could see the Cabaret either holding firm, or being included in the development. If a developer can integrate a church (Southpark) then they can work with a strip club IMO. I think the fair question is what they may do with the spur from to Tryon to College, which, while convenient behind the wheel, but makes the area seem less pedestrian friendly than such an urban area should be. Keep it and you could avoid a megablock development, but eliminate it and you take a step in rebuilding the grid in Southend and slow traffic in the process. I lowkey would hope to see a high rise on this site due to its proximity to Uptown, but I think something is better than nothing, frankly it looks bad as that lot is often not even full. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, nakers2 said:

Both of these businesses bring a lot of traffic, I don't think Midnight diner would open in the same place unless they wanted to have a similar setup to Redeye in the Epicentre, but I could see the Cabaret either holding firm, or being included in the development. If a developer can integrate a church (Southpark) then they can work with a strip club IMO. I think the fair question is what they may do with the spur from to Tryon to College, which, while convenient behind the wheel, but makes the area seem less pedestrian friendly than such an urban area should be. Keep it and you could avoid a megablock development, but eliminate it and you take a step in rebuilding the grid in Southend and slow traffic in the process. I lowkey would hope to see a high rise on this site due to its proximity to Uptown, but I think something is better than nothing, frankly it looks bad as that lot is often not even full. 

If they get paid enough, there is no way they would turn it down, or require being part of the redevelopment. The $ being thrown around for land is not like anything Charlotte has ever seen before.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

I should clarify that when I say "hold firm" I'm saying they might take advantage of their isolation on the "island" where they sit as a result of the cut over for College Street. The Cabaret would look a lot better with some density around it. 

I believe the land sale involves everything at this point. 

1 hour ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Based on the conversation in the LU thread, this thread begins the conversation of the site speculated to have a multi use development at the intersection of E. Morehead and S Tryon currently hosting the classy Uptown Cabaret and Midnight Diner.

No! Leave the Midnight Diner alone!  That's one of my breakfast spots when I'm in town.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

don't worry they will pick it up one day and re-open in a new spot the next day or two.  It will be moved somewhere I am sure.

I hope.  We heard that about Maddie's Diner at the Music Factory and where did that go?  No, seriously... Where did it go?  

Aaaaactually.... I googled and somehow missed this article from the O a couple months back.  Sorry for the subject derailment, but I'm good for one of those from time to time.  And I can't wait for that vegan meatloaf!  Everyone else here probably already knew about this:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/charlottefive/c5-around-town/c5-development/article252176643.html

Ok, back to this other diner...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TheRealClayton said:

Midnight Diner, and alllll this land is owned by Brian Dominick, the owner of Uptown Cabaret. He will get a $40-50M payday, he will be able to afford to move that diner anywhere he wants.

If there's a list of "richest non-mafia strip club owners" that sale would put him pretty near the top, I'd bet.

• Like 2

I was talking with a BOA person and discussed the possibility of this site becoming a Technology Center for the bank and moving the folks out of Gateway.  My contact did not seem surprised at the least, and said it would be great to have that close to BOAT!  Gateway as I recall was BOA's attempt to extend the city to closer to I-77.  The old AT&T building now part of Johnson and Wales was isolated down there.  Initially there was some discussion of Microsoft locating there instead of Arrowwood, but that fell through.
Gateway brought several great residential products from lofts to condos to rentals.  J&W also built their campus there.  
Should BOA vacate Gateway I could see J&W expanding into that space.

All of gateway is a slum including jwu and that church find a way to raze it a start blank check with the new station development.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5