Queensbridge Collective - 1 tower, maybe 2

CarolinaDaydreamin

8 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

I was saying the same to my wife last night..  We'll see how far corporate social justice spans when there's no corporate income tax in Texas.  You'd think it would have a big impact given the blame HB2 got in NC but it won't surprise me if nothing happens in this case.  At least not until the younger generation that doesn't want to live under draconian laws migrate elsewhere and the companies follow the talent.

Saw twitter calls to move SXSW.  Austin proper is blue and is hiding under that shield.  NC currently has a nice balance with the GOP Legislature but Cooper in the governor's office.  We've got some loons in our legislature, so I look at what's happening in Texas and simply say : buy by the grace of God go Us...

Wish Charlotte had something similar to SXSW - highly visible and well branded multi-day event representing the intersection of artistry, technical innovation, and capital.

Next Gen North Carolina??

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

So if this is a big bay area company (BNP Paribas, Uber, Visa?) looking to leave or expand elsewhere, which a lot are doing, I wonder how much this new Texas abortion law will pay into it, as well as future issues. We got a lot of flack for the bathroom bill. This seems monumentally bigger, and will likely be much more drawn out. How many relocating companies will pause all together and start focusing on Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh, Tampa, etc? 

Finally starting to see articles mentioning this type of thing in business media. (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-02/lurch-to-the-right-may-imperil-texas-s-attraction-for-employers?srnd=premium)

Pretty sure they have hb2-style laws of their own too. 

Edited by joenc
  • Like 2

Also, isn't Texas' big corporate tax incentive for businesses, or something like that, expiring at the end of this year? 

Edit:

https://news.utexas.edu/2021/07/28/could-the-death-of-a-corporate-handout-in-texas-be-a-turning-point-nationwide/

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2021/08/19/company-relocations-to-austin-region-pick-up.html

It’s seen by many as a useful counter to the state's high property taxes, though Chapter 313 is slated to expire at the end of 2022. Economic experts have suggested Central Texas will see a flood of applications in the next year and a half before the program expires, though a gap in major economic investment could follow.

"We are seeing some of the largest projects in our history and Chapter 313 is a huge consideration for companies with massive capital investment," Bodisch said. "While there are other factors pushing companies to make decisions, Chapter 313 is critical to help offset the tremendous costs. Some of these companies are pushing to get through the decision-making processes quicker in order to capitalize on this important incentive."

Edited by Blue_Devil

6 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

So if this is a big bay area company (BNP Paribas, Uber, Visa?) looking to leave or expand elsewhere, which a lot are doing, I wonder how much this new Texas abortion law will pay into it, as well as future issues. We got a lot of flack for the bathroom bill. This seems monumentally bigger, and will likely be much more drawn out. How many relocating companies will pause all together and start focusing on Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh, Tampa, etc? 

Visa is def looking to get out of Foster City, and I think Dallas is the leading candidate, but this abortion bill isn't going away, and I could see it being a huge obstacle.

Surely it’s Salesfoce (before Millennium tower next door topples over)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/realestate/leaning-millennium-tower-in-san-francisco-sinking-faster-retrofit-halted/ar-AANWZd8

Edited by Matthew.Brendan
my bad. thought it was SF HQ that was leaning.
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

Politics does have an effect on where some companies choose to go or stay but Texas probably will not pay too a heavy price due to their excellent business climate & cheaper real estate.  Anyway - How did PayPal turn out & where did they land since snubbing Charlotte?

3 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Politics does have an effect on where some companies choose to go or stay but Texas probably will not pay too a heavy price due to their excellent business climate & cheaper real estate.  Anyway - How did PayPal turn out & where did they land since snubbing Charlotte?

never landed anywhere in terms of new expansion maybe adding some jobs to their existing operations but never announced a new location. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/6/2021 at 10:14 PM, Phillydog said:

...left off LGBT protections and rights.

It was about 15 years ago, maybe longer, that I was living in Virginia and their (then) very Republican state legislature was on the verge of passing an anti LGBT bill.  Northern Virginia has become that state's bread and butter and there was a huge outcry from some high tech companies that were planning to open major operations in Northern Virginia.  Their concern was that a significant amount  of the talent in that industry is LGBT.  So moving to a state with that kind of law would make it difficult to attract the kind of talent they would need to remain competitive.  These companies threatened Virginia's government that if their law passed they would not move their companies to Virginia.  So the Virginia state legislature acquiesced and immediately put a halt on that bill and it never became law.  And Northern Virginia has thrived ever since.  But that's the difference between Virginia and Texas:  this terrible bill in Virginia was stopped before becoming law, while Texas has actually made these (multiple) horrible discriminatory bills the law of the land.  I will be surprised if there is not a major backlash.

Edited by JacksonH
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Blue_Devil said:

I think it is SVB, I know there are a few senior people in the company who have closed on houses here. I also know the Tenant for another tower in the area... but I cant say as it will hit to close to home. I posted it, and then thought better. 

I would welcome Silcon Valley Bank to open an east HQ here but I dont think it the anchor of this tower.  But who knows maybe I am wrong.  I was thinking someone more up closer to the golden gate.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

I will say the other tower, which we have all be speculating on, the tenant is local and not a bank. We won't see renderings until its coming out of the ground. 

Oh the 23 story Lincoln Harris tower at Legacy with US Bank as the anchor or another one?   Must be an accounting firm then or big law firm. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3