Queensbridge Collective - 1 tower, maybe 2

CarolinaDaydreamin

15 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

image.jpeg.42fc75c208f85edbcea1d83086b16ff3.jpeg

Top tier design at play here. 

No doubt! These designs are something Charlotte has never seen. High hopes that this project forever raises the bar of architectural design for the city.... finally

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

remember their initial comments about purchasing this land for development we are following our national clients to Charlotte.  Bank of America is one of their anchor tenants in Chicago but they have others and given Chicago's status a huge business center they know of others.  I have heard several companies from coast to coast they could be looking for a new HQ location.  

Sears... circa early 1990s.. that's all I'm sayin'.. ha!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I saw a pic on twitter of downtown Houston in the 1970s.  The pic showed seas of newly-created surface parking where historic, low-rise downtown structures had been leveled.  These surface lots were created to accommodate a surge in parking demand as downtown went from a mixed-use neighborhood to an office destination for regional suburbanites, using their cars to get into the CBD and to these intense, vertical property uses.

South End has gone from a low-rise industrial area to a low-to-mid-rise mixed-use area, and will soon be a mixed-use high-rise district.  As new office construction in South End starts to beckon thousands of office workers from around the region, many of whom will drive into the neighborhood, is there a chance we'll start to see the creep of dedicated surface lots, similar to what happened decades ago in places like Houston and even in Uptown Charlotte?  Yes, a number of high-rises are built with embedded parking, but the property use intensity of skyscrapers filled with the auto-bound masses winds up driving demand for surrounding surface lots.  Are there design regulations to prevent that in South End?  Or is preferred parking scouting out spots?  For what it's worth, I can't imagine what preferred parking would flatten to create surface lots for a rising South End.

8 minutes ago, RANYC said:

I saw a pic on twitter of downtown Houston in the 1970s.  The pic showed seas of newly-created surface parking where historic, low-rise downtown structures had been leveled.  These surface lots were created to accommodate a surge in parking demand as downtown went from a mixed-use neighborhood to an office destination for regional suburbanites, using their cars to get into the CBD and to these intense, vertical property uses.

South End has gone from a low-rise industrial area to a low-to-mid-rise mixed-use area, and will soon be a mixed-use high-rise district.  As new office construction in South End starts to beckon thousands of office workers from around the region, many of whom will drive into the neighborhood, is there a chance we'll start to see the creep of dedicated surface lots, similar to what happened decades ago in places like Houston and even in Uptown Charlotte?  Yes, a number of high-rises are built with embedded parking, but the property use intensity of skyscrapers filled with the auto-bound masses winds up driving demand for surrounding surface lots.  Are there design regulations to prevent that in South End?  Or is preferred parking scouting out spots?  For what it's worth, I can't imagine what preferred parking would flatten to create surface lots for a rising South End.

Considering the roughly 25 miles of light rail in Mecklenburg County runs through Southend.. the answer better be a big Hell No! At this stage in the game undeveloped Uptown and Southend property is too valuable to remain undeveloped which is why we are seeing a resurgence of new construction. Paved lots will continue to disappear, especially Uptown. Southend may have a few 1/4 surface lots here and there when the dust settles. My 2 cents

9 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

aspacer.png

Their(Montreals) Metro stations are among the best looking in the world IMO.

The People are among the best looking AND best dressed in the world as well. Imo

What's the source saying Charlotte is more dense then Montreal? 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, RANYC said:

I think at this point lots are too expensive for parking companies to come in and buy. Economic forces won't allow them to come in an pay 20 million for an acre just for parking. Now, you may see some land banking tear down older warehouses and turn those into parking while they wait for additional adjoining properties to go up for sale. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

You did say tower density, so you were right. It’s just hard to not notice the jarring difference between the two otherwise. 

& I just think it is a data point that supports that tall buildings isn’t all it takes for a thriving urban environment. Which is what sort of drives disagreements here more than anything.

The attitude of believing rehabbing or repurposing existing buildings and building on available land (which leads to interesting structural density and creative uses and also providing opportunities for nice venues), new buildings paying attention to the  context of surrounding environment, activation, pedestrian level, etc 

Versus the attitude of “this tower was better than what was there before though” / “would you rather not grow” etc .

Also, all cities are really just growing so much these days. Even Omaha is getting a 50-Floor beautiful Office tower. Cities are growing crazy these days. :) and Charlotte is doing pretty good IMO

Consider how much larger of an area that Montreal CBD is too...

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

At this point I would only want a 1k tower if most of the usable uptown land was developed. I would rather have 5 200' towers filling up empty lots, filled with apartments and condos. 

The empty lots are strategically being held, its not like they won't be filled.

• Like 2