Queensbridge Collective - 1 tower, maybe 2

CarolinaDaydreamin

On 11/19/2021 at 5:51 PM, TheMightyBK said:

Back in 1993 when I came to Charlotte straight out of college, every tall building uptown looked out of place compared to the older, human-scale stuff. Things change…like Uptown, SE will be tall. I’m 50 now, and I fully expect the skyline to be as long and as tall as ATL’s by the time I’m 75. emoji1308.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At this rate it will probably be so, by the time you are 65…

• Like 4

On 11/21/2021 at 10:06 PM, Crucial_Infra said:

Skyline will look something like this in a few years. Please excuse my iPhone photoshopping skills. 

ABC78824-F97D-4EAD-AEDE-10B372332926.jpeg

That's an extremely impressive skyline.  The core of Uptown, Midtown, and SouthEnd of Charlotte is definitely rivals the Atlanta and Miami skylines these days and definitely in the future.  We're definitely home to the 3rd largest skyline in the Southeast US.

• Confused 2

42 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Miami?

Miami has 20 buildings over 600’ and Charlotte has… 4

Duke will make 5 and in a few years this site development will add 1 more. 

Miami has something like 5 or 6 active or pending construction all 600’ + including a 1000’ Waldorf Astoria, and the rest actually appear to all be 700+. We can effectively ignore these as the real estate in Miami is as volatile as it gets although at least a couple of these I believe are under active construction. Anyway…

Of the 20 existing 600+ footers in Miami, 6 are 700+. Charlotte has 2. 

Stepping down a bit, if we look at buildings 200-500 feet tall, Miami has… well never mind, they start the count (just using Wiki here) at 400’ and there are apparently 98 buildings in Miami at least 400’ tall. Charlotte has, drumroll please…. 18. Ok we’ll include the Carillon at 394 just to pad that a bit and bring it up to 19. lol. 

This is all in good fun, I have lived in Charlotte 16 years now and it’s been boom town the entire time. I’ve watched practically half of this city get built in that time, it truly is amazing. Especially because the pace and scope is only increasing. It’s truly fantastic living in Charlotte. I love it and I love cities in general. but Miami legit has the third “largest” skyline in this country after NYC and Chicago. 

I'm not talking about height of buildings as that's irrelevant in the greater perspective of things of length and depth of a continuous skyline of a major city. 

Miami has the largest and longest continuous skyline in the Southeast, Atlanta is #2, and Charlotte is #3.  The current Charlotte continuous skyline is approximately 6 miles in length from NorthEnd to SouthEnd.  Atlanta’s continuous skyline is approximately 9 miles from Buckhead to Downtown Atlanta, and Miami's continuous skyline along coastal barrier islands and along Biscayne Bay is nearly 20 miles in length from Hollywood to Downtown Miami. 

FYI, DC has a long and dense skyline.  None of the buildings are even that tall about 400' but it's quite dense. That's what really matters as Charlotte is filling in quite well in the density category.

• Like 2

Ah, the skyline pic...muscular, imposing, instagram-able, indelible, yet its big-box loudness belies the actual human-scale energy and vitality at ground-level.  

When we start to measure the success of our planning and economic development efforts by the number of streetscapes in Charlotte reliably and consistently teeming with bipedality, and not by the number of soaring monoliths, then we'll start an earnest move toward a more sustainable vision for Charlotte, IMO.  

We are highly unlikely to catch up with Miami in skyscraper counting in our lifetimes...and there's not really a natural landmark like a Bayfront or beachfront to vertically stack up along in Charlotte, but do we really even want that? 

I'm guessing many of you skyline lovers on here work in a high-rise, but do any of you live in one or live alongside one?  If you were given the same high-rise residential options in Charlotte that you find in abundance in Downtown Miami, would you make the switch?

I am comforted by the fact that recent high-rise project renderings have at least prioritized ground-level pics of their streetscape interactions and context.  That's progress.

Munich 2 .jpg

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2