Queensbridge Collective - 1 tower, maybe 2

CarolinaDaydreamin

If this development ended up getting a hotel, what's the most likely flag? Given Riverside's pedigree and the huge amount of money they're suggesting spending on this, I assume it would have to be a luxury flag right. Are there any obvious candidates? Conrad is one of the few I can think of not already here or planned for another location and is often aimed at an urban/corporate audience. Seems like it would work given the proximity to LU/DEP/Ally plus all of the expected development planned along Morehead. Nothing else jumps out as likely, but I'm probably forgetting several brands.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, norm21499 said:

Wow, according to The Ledger, the first building won't finish construction until 2027.....

Hmmm… that’s interesting.  The Biz Journal article says they’ll first start delivering at the end of 2024, with the remainder finishing up a few years later.   Not sure which happens first, but there’s a lot of fuzziness with this one at this point.   

14 minutes ago, TCLT said:

If this development ended up getting a hotel, what's the most likely flag? Given Riverside's pedigree and the huge amount of money they're suggesting spending on this, I assume it would have to be a luxury flag right. Are there any obvious candidates? Conrad is one of the few I can think of not already here or planned for another location and is often aimed at an urban/corporate audience. Seems like it would work given the proximity to LU/DEP/Ally plus all of the expected development planned along Morehead. Nothing else jumps out as likely, but I'm probably forgetting several brands.

Four Seasons or St. Regis or Loews to name a few.  I think a W would be a good fit for SouthEnd.  Are they still making those anymore?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ertley said:

There's a lot to like, or love, about this announcement, but the thing that piqued my interest the most is the statement that the top of the parking garage is going to be a park. In all of the discussions on this site of developments and critiques of many, many parking garages, I've understood the criticisms of the less than stellar screening of most, or nearly all, of them, but my primary point of mystification has always been why--besides cost, of course--developers committed to non-structural podium parking garage structures don't  design them to have either green roofs--or parks--or swimming pools for their facilities.

I'm not a structural engineer, but as a layman, it would seem that parking structures have to bear intense loads anyway, so I wouldn't think it would require *too* much more support to incorporate a green roof or pool deck, and for me it seems a lot safer and easier to deal with a pool atop a parking garage rather than one embedded in an actual habitable structure. 

For me, this was especially egregious with the Ally Center deck: Rather than having J. W. Marriott guests looking down over a parking deck, they could've had a more expansive, luxurious pool deck surrounding by green roofing...

So, hopefully, Riverside is going to 'raise the bar' in Charlotte by increasing people's expectations for what can be done with the top levels of parking garages--and perhaps even extant as well as future ones. 

The pool-over-parking has always been a thing in Miami.  The TradeMark has one over the deck and even that one has an occasional leak.   I'd like to see solar panels over parking myself.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheRealClayton said:

Legacy Union was envisioned as a home for Bank of America, but they still called it Spec. Thats just how it works in the industry. 110 East has grading permits and will be starting very soon.

that's incorrect, the entire site will be developed by 2027

Being moved to a site across the street from the arena.

Spectrum Arena?

35 minutes ago, TheRealClayton said:

The cap will absolutely happen. You can open up 16 acres for high density development just by reimagining the interchanges, putting in retaining walls, and land filling the berms that lead down to the highway. You can have a 4 acre park and a legacy union amount of space to build on. New property tax money will be able to fund it easily.

Cap or current Transit Plan?  Also, if a cap looks increasingly likely or doable, should we think about using funds for the rail-trail bridge in a different way?

• Like 3