Queensbridge Collective - 1 tower, maybe 2

CarolinaDaydreamin

On 11/6/2021 at 10:31 AM, CLTranspo said:

Actually we’re closer to 40% of Atlanta metro. Charlotte MSA is about 2.6 M, Atlanta MSA is about 6 M

Actually the real population statistics of the Charlotte metro region is 3 million+ as the Hickory area is tied together with the main Charlotte metro area. It's likely going to show in next years' Census release 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, kayman said:

Actually the real population statistics of the Charlotte metro region is 3 million+ as the Hickory area is tied together with the main Charlotte metro area. It's likely going to show in next years' Census release 

Then next year I’ll be fine with saying our MSA population is a higher ratio compared to Atlanta’s. Just trying to be realistic with current data

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, CLTranspo said:

Then next year I’ll be fine with saying our MSA population is a higher ratio compared to Atlanta’s. Just trying to be realistic with current data

Okay. You can stick with those outdated stats from 2010. I mean 2013 to be exact. The gap between the two places (Charlotte and Atlanta) has started to close quite a bit.

Edited by kayman

6 hours ago, kayman said:

That is completely false and I’m surprised 3 people concurred with you.

Not only is Hickory far away from Charlotte (like 10 miles further than the distance between DC & Baltimore), there is a ton of nothing between the two. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Not only is Hickory far away from Charlotte (like 10 miles further than the distance between DC & Baltimore), there is a ton of nothing between the two. 

Hickory also has it’s own MSA. 

• Thanks 1

NC has roughly the same population as GA. While most of GA’s population centers around Atlanta, NC has two major population centers. Charlotte and Raleigh Area. The State would literally have to grow significantly or have people move out of Raleigh (unlikely in significant numbers Raleigh is growing fast too) and move into Charlotte for that gap to close any further and thus far it’s been mostly interstate migration that’s been causing Charlotte’s growth.

“The three major metropolitan areas are the Research Triangle, Piedmont Triad, and Charlotte Metropolitan Area, which have a total population of 6,547,112 people, roughly the same in geographic area (11,256.36 sq mi) and population as the Atlanta, Georgia region (6,555,956 / 10,494.03 sq mi), and together representing over 63% of the state's total population.” - From Wikipedia explaining what the Piedmont crescent is, not the best source but it gets the job done in this case.

Edit: lol enough off topic discussion. apologies for adding on!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I've always found it amazing that in a forty mile radius around NYC, there are 17m people (i.e., almost double the whole state of NC or GA).    The density of the five boroughs of NYC and the urban counties in NJ where JC and Newark are located is mind boggling.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 4

IMHO 6 - 16 mill, is just way too many people in one region. North Carolina is actually perfectly balanced into manageable regions, of CLT Metro, Triad Metro, Triangle Metro, all growing at above average rates, but are not yet overrun like these other area’s. 

If you have spent any time at all in ATL or NYC, DC, LA, ect. you will agree with me. 

And just wait  till the next variant or virus erupts, where do you think all the NYC metro ect occupants will be fleeing to?  Not the city I can guarantee you that. 

Edited by CLT @❤️
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That's actually not correct.  The zoning in NYC metro is very strict, and, therefore, the suburbs are not dense and are utterly pristine.  Further, residential and commercial construction is booming in Manhattan.  There are around 10 condo and office buildings planned between 1,000 and 1,665' tall.    The demand for $50m+ apartments is through the roof at the moment.  Further, rents at the city's newest office buildings are exceeding $300/sf, and Wall St and tech companies are competing for new space.   As you can tell from my posts, I love Charlotte with a passion, but let's get real. 

As to my point above, this hyper-rich town, Alpine, NJ, is ten miles from Manhattan, which you can see in the distance.

8 The Esplanade, Alpine, NJ, 07620 | realtor.com®

When you board a crowded plane and look down the aisle, do you remark "God, I wish this plane could accommodate more people?"

• Like 3

Actually that is correct. Zoning in NYC, right. Lol 

And who has time to argue the obvious. I am surrounded by former NYC residents that have uprooted their entire families to move to NC for a “better quality life.” 
In addition I’m in NYC for business three times per year, and common man, the traffic alone  is horrendous. Homelessness is rampant, with reports of attacks on commuters daily, I have witnessed first hand gangs of 15 year olds, on bicycles running the streets, terrorizing the vulnerable. One could question the sanity of anyone who would move there, much less stay there. 

Pre pandemic they couldn’t fill these buildings

“Among the more than 16,200 condo units across 682 new buildings completed in New York City since 2013, one in four remain unsold, or roughly 4,100 apartments — most of them in luxury buildings, according to a new analysis by the listing website StreetEasy.” 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/09/13/realestate/new-development-new-york.amp.html

Many of these buildings have been rushed to market, and are falling apart. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thecut.com/amp/2021/02/432-park-nyc-building-for-the-ultrarich-is-falling-apart.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fortune.com/2021/09/24/intolerable-noise-stuck-elevator-hours-nyc-billionaire-row-condo-board-sues-developers-1500-defects/amp/

2021 is even worse for NYC. Good luck with all that. That’s all I’m going to say on the subject as we are not really comparing the Big Apple to the QC. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, CLT @❤️ said:

Actually that is correct. Zoning in NYC, right. Lol 

And who has time to argue the obvious. I am surrounded by former NYC residents that have uprooted their entire families to move to NC for a “better quality life.” 
In addition I’m in NYC for business three times per year, and common man, the traffic alone  is horrendous. Homelessness is rampant, with reports of attacks on commuters daily, I have witnessed first hand gangs of 15 year olds, on bicycles running the streets, terrorizing the vulnerable. One could question the sanity of anyone who would move there, much less stay there. 

Pre pandemic they couldn’t fill these buildings

“Among the more than 16,200 condo units across 682 new buildings completed in New York City since 2013, one in four remain unsold, or roughly 4,100 apartments — most of them in luxury buildings, according to a new analysis by the listing website StreetEasy.” 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/09/13/realestate/new-development-new-york.amp.html

Many of these buildings have been rushed to market, and are falling apart. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thecut.com/amp/2021/02/432-park-nyc-building-for-the-ultrarich-is-falling-apart.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fortune.com/2021/09/24/intolerable-noise-stuck-elevator-hours-nyc-billionaire-row-condo-board-sues-developers-1500-defects/amp/

2021 is even worse for NYC. Good luck with all that. That’s all I’m going to say on the subject as we are not really comparing the Big Apple to the QC. 

The other great global cities with massive, dense populations (e.g, London, Paris, Shanghai, Tokyo, etc.) further demonstrate that huge, dense populations are hardly undesirable.

The facts are what they are.  I have nothing more to say.   Anyway, back to this fabulous project.

https://therealdeal.com/2021/11/08/brace-yourselves-residential-agents-prepare-for-return-of-foreign-buyers/

"...The arrival of international buyers comes as the Manhattan residential sales market is on fire, with the third quarter the busiest in decades. Though activity accelerated, supply remained higher than usual, so prices held steady."

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I am curious to see what CDOT might try to do if the College connector goes away. Is there an opportunity to re-align Morehead Square and turn it back into College street with a 4-way intersection at Morehead? 

This is going to cap off a lot of other incredible development on Morehead.   

10 minutes ago, carolinaboy said:

Most folks where I live would say, "I could never imagine living in a big, crazy city like Chapel Hill."

Everything IS relative.

Rural has positives and negatives. Suburban has negatives and negatives. Urban has positives and negatives.

My next-door-neighbors just retired from New York City (both had jobs in the city) and they like the "country" so far. That may change over time.

I'm from the "country" but am equally comfortable in an urban environment. That's not to say I would want to live in one though :tw_grin:

Sorry if I took this more off-topic.

FTFY

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Do you even know what you're talking about? I look at demographic and GIS/mapping data daily for my profession. 

The Charlotte urbanized area is in Catawba County which is the same county as Hickory.  Urbanized areas are the basis of metropolitan statistical area definitions.  The US Census looks at urbanization, traffic analysis zones (TAZs), labor statistics, and trip origins and destinations when classifying MSAs and CSAs.  For your information, go look at CensusReporter.org look at the distance between the Hickory urbanized area is less than 15 miles distance between the Charlotte urbanized area.  The 2020 CSA designation from the OMB will likely encompass both places (Charlotte and Hickory).  

Your whole response is strange and very ill-informed at best. 

Edited by kayman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1