WNBA franchise in Nashville

markhollin

4 minutes ago, DDIG said:

I'm on the fence about this. Don't know what the city's appetite is for it, especially if isn't at Bridgestone. The other venue options are meh at best.

I wish we could steal the Grizzlies, ha.

Get the Grizzlies, bring in a WNBA team , build Amazon Arena and call it a day!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

I'm surprised the WNBA is trying to expand, because I was under the impression that as an organization they're deep in the red every year.  

They lose greater than $10 million a year. NBA with its $7 billion+ in revenue helps to subsidize, but to what extent is not really known.

It appears their TV numbers are up, so maybe they are betting on the future with expansion.

• Like 3

Frankly, I couldn’t care any less about the WNBA than I do the NBA. But that’s just me. I am not a sports person. Looks like Municipal would be the place to do it if they do play and not build a specific arena for them as they will probably not survive as a league.

They are subsidized by the NBA by about 10 million a year and the women want equal pay and that is not going to happen because they don’t draw the crowds.

https://selfimprovementbase.com/does-the-wnba-make-money/

34 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Whether you like the design or not, it WAS built specifically for basketball. 

Memorial Gymnasium was built to be a multi-purpose facility ('arena'), designed to be PRIMARILY a basketball court, hence the name "gym".  I think Bigeasy might have been referring to one of the uses Edwin Keeble intended for Memorial Gym, which was to be a proscenium stage. That's why the floor is above the first few rows of seats. No doubt it was much better suited to concerts in its early, smaller form. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, markhollin said:

7 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Memorial Gymnasium was built to be a multi-purpose facility ('arena'), designed to be PRIMARILY a basketball court, hence the name "gym".  I think Bigeasy might have been referring to one of the uses Edwin Keeble intended for Memorial Gym, which was to be a proscenium stage. That's why the floor is above the first few rows of seats. No doubt it was much better suited to concerts in its early, smaller form. 

@MLBrumbyis correct. Memorial Gym is well known as the worst basketball venue in the SEC and one of the worst in the USA. The 2 biggest issues are 1) the player/team benches that must be at the end zones instead of the sidelines and 2) the raised floor. It is also a bad setup for TV coverage

But, regardless, it was designed to be a multi-purpose facility

• Like 1

RE: Memorial Gym at Vanderbilt: The facility is favored by many basketball purists as an example of a facility designed primarily for that sport—and has been called the "Fenway Park of College Basketball." ("The Mystique and Aura of Memorial Gym" from Commodore Nation Magazine, 2013. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

RE: Memorial Gym at Vanderbilt: The facility is favored by many basketball purists as an example of a facility designed primarily for that sport—and has been called the "Fenway Park of College Basketball." ("The Mystique and Aura of Memorial Gym" from Commodore Nation Magazine, 2013. 

It is an  unique venue and different experience, which certainly has its appeal in College sports. I definitely wouldn't call it a nice venue though, which I think you'd want as part of the package of an expansion professional team to help drive attendance.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, markhollin said:

Straight from Vanderbilt's website "Dedicated in 1952 as a memorial to all Vanderbilt men and women who served in World War II, the arena was built as a combination gymnasium and concert hall by the late master architect Edwin Keeble."  Also, I doubt a magazine called "Commodore Nation" is biased at all haha. But this really doesn't matter to the topic at hand. I just originally wanted to point out that the gym is not a basketball specific venue, and I don't think anybody (outside of maybe Vanderbilt fans) would argue that it is a good facility. It is just unique. 

Back to the topic though, would Nashville have any risk to adding a team? I think it is common knowledge that the WNBA doesn't bring in money. So I wasn't sure if there would be any reason to avoid this. I just can't come up with a scenario in my head to where it makes sense financially. 

Edited by bigeasy
  • Like 1