WNBA franchise in Nashville

markhollin

The WNBA is currently a money loser, which I'm guessing is why it's trying to expand into new markets, to grow. I think if it could get a deal with Bridgestone, it could do well here and help the business grow. We get a lot of tourists and conventioneers who'd likely get free/discounted tickets and, if they enjoyed it, would spread the word. It might put us ahead of the other cities. If it did well, then hopefully the NBA would notice, upping our chances of getting a NBA team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

All “kidding” aside as the WNBA is a money loser all the way around! 

This is true. Although I'd say the NBA has SO much money, and the cost to run the WNBA is comparatively SO small,  the NBA will probably be interested in keeping it alive for a good while.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DDIG said:

This is true. Although I'd say the NBA has SO much money, and the cost to run the WNBA is comparatively SO small,  the NBA will probably be interested in keeping it alive for a good while.

Until the women sue for equal pay, then they will disband the league. We all know they can’t get equal pay because of economics of the league, but if they win, then it would be all over for the WNBA and I think they know it.

Sort of like the fiasco with women’s soccer. If you don’t bring in the same money then you don’t get paid the same. The same would go for the old WFL. Those guys never made what the NFL players made as a whole, but the didn’t sue.

• Like 1

Memorial gym is much more basketball specific than bridgestone is. The great thing is, its not like every other arena out there today. It's awesomely unique.I doubt a pro franchise is looking for that tho.

Never seen it said that its the worst in the sec.In fact most list rank it very high in the country. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Until the women sue for equal pay, then they will disband the league. We all know they can’t get equal pay because of economics of the league, but if they win, then it would be all over for the WNBA and I think they know it.

Sort of like the fiasco with women’s soccer. If you don’t bring in the same money then you don’t get paid the same. The same would go for the old WFL. Those guys never made what the NFL players made as a whole, but the didn’t sue.

Side note: The USWNT's case for equal pay was dismissed because they actually make slightly more per game than the men's team when all benefits are considered.

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/eeoc-backs-us-women-s-soccer-team-pay-discrimination-case

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, markhollin said:

- Municipal Auditorium (9,000) has hosted various defunct men's pro leagues as well as the Ohio Valley Conference Championship for years. Also lacking in luxury boxes.

Adding premium seating to Municipal Auditorium is a tough one.

Presumably it would have to go along the back wall at the top of the seating sections. The problem is that wall houses the HVAC systems and is also the exterior wall of the building, so any expansion outward would entail both moving the systems and modifying the exterior.

Alternatively, the upper portions of the existing seating could be removed to accommodate it. Setting aside the impacts on sating capacity, this area sits directly above the upper concourse, so unless the existing structure can handle the increased loads, that won't work either.

There's also the issue of accessing it in the first place. The uppermost concourse only reaches the mezzanine, so unless a new concourse with ramps, etc. were built (facing the same problems as above) attendees using the premium seating would have to access through the existing concourse and seating. I've only gotten to sit in a luxury box once or twice but I know that when I did I wouldn't have wanted to be forced to mingle with the commoners to reach it, lest one of them deign to make eye contact with me.

I think the best bet would be to use the cut-out areas at the ends of the court. The sightlines are less than ideal but it would be a good space for alternative setups like party decks or lounges. The space is also probably about what would meet demand for premium seating for the WNBA or similar sports/leagues. Permanent installations would preclude setups for hockey, arena football, or other events requiring increased floor area (which are already not well-suited for Municipal Auditorium due to sightline issues) but it might be cost-effective to have temporary setups if a team is able to leave it erected for extended periods during a season.

• Like 1

Although I think I already know the answer, I wonder if there is any discussion on simply replacing Municipal with a new, larger more modern venue. Could we support a 10,000-12,000 seat arena? A place that wouldn't look so empty for "small" events currently having no option but Bridgestone? I've heard that the OVC wouldn't consider Bridgestone for their basketball tourney because they could never fill it and the optics would be bad, among other reasons.

34 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

Although I think I already know the answer, I wonder if there is any discussion on simply replacing Municipal with a new, larger more modern venue. Could we support a 10,000-12,000 seat arena? A place that wouldn't look so empty for "small" events currently having no option but Bridgestone? I've heard that the OVC wouldn't consider Bridgestone for their basketball tourney because they could never fill it and the optics would be bad, among other reasons.

The arena they are building in Clarksville is going to be nice!

41 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

I've often wondered why this hasn't happened.  And now, with Nashville pretty fairly entrenched as a convention/tourist/destination town, why wouldn't this idea be on the table as a way to potentially attract more events/visitors/revenue to town?  The OVC tourney is a prime example.  What other OVC area city can offer what Nashville does.  They'd likely run back in a heartbeat if a new, capacity friendly venue was available.  Just one man's perspective.

6 minutes ago, DDIG said:

The arena they are building in Clarksville is going to be nice!

Didn't know about that.  What's it called so I can look it up?  (Update...found it)

Edited by nashville born

18 minutes ago, nashville born said:

I've often wondered why this hasn't happened.  And now, with Nashville pretty fairly entrenched as a convention/tourist/destination town, why wouldn't this idea be on the table as a way to potentially attract more events/visitors/revenue to town?  The OVC tourney is a prime example.  What other OVC area city can offer what Nashville does.  They'd likely run back in a heartbeat if a new, capacity friendly venue was available.  Just one man's perspective.

Didn't know about that.  What's it called so I can look it up?  (Update...found it)

F&M Bank Arena. Under construction. Preds will manage (likely to host some Preds exhibitions): https://www.nhl.com/predators/news/sse-fm-bank-announce-event-center-will-be-named-fm-bank-arena/c-325864150

F&M Bank Arena will hold approximately 6,000 fans for concerts; 5,500 for basketball game; and 5,000 for hockey games.

It will also contain luxury suites, premium seating, private hospitality space, party rooms and common areas that will have full access to the arena bowl. The Austin Peay men's and women's basketball teams will move their coaches' offices and training facilities into F&M Bank Arena, which will also house their practice court.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, satalac said:

I vote we take a page out of Memphis's book and turn Municipal into a Bass Pro.

Municipal Auditorium has a pretty regular set of bookings throughout the year, and it is home to the Musicians Hall of Fame & Museum. It really doesn’t need to be turned into anything. Bass Pro Shop is probably pretty happy at Opry Mills.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
3 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

Will the news of financing a new dome stadium for Titans affect a WNBA franchise opportunity for the city?? Or is it irrelevant to supporting WNBA team ??? 

I would think it would have no bearing on acquiring a wnba franchise. We already have the facilities in place, we would however need an owner to get it started. Well, and the league would obviously need to invite us