Jump to content

City of Grand Rapids Parks


grandrollerz

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Raildude's dad said:

Amway is not the big user, King Milling is. They get 20-30 cars at a time of western wheat. They recently shipped out a few cars of flour , first time in 30? years. I don't see rucks as an alternative for inbound wheat.

I've looked at the RR property for a trail. for a number of  years. There's a lot of area where the track bed is in wetlands. Can't build a trail there unless it's boardwalk and IF and that's a big IF, the RR will allow it. Boar walks are $$ to build, slippery when wet and need maintenance. 

There is a good location for a trail. My boss and I have both scoped it out :).

You should share it! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2022 at 3:18 PM, CalderCity946 said:

This is more Kent County parks, but FYI rumor is the bulk of the old silver lake country club is going to be converted to a county park and the remaining land is going to be housing. 

https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/local/residents-unhappy-with-proposal-for-old-silver-lake-golf-course

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cstonesparty said:

lol,, they should be happy there's only a quarter of it being developed.  Some old NIMB?Y arguments, decreed property values and "increased traffic on Belding road".  Traffic probably increases on that road daily daily.  What do you expect?  It will probably be five lanes soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

lol,, they should be happy there's only a quarter of it being developed.  Some old NIMB?Y arguments, decreed property values and "increased traffic on Belding road".  Traffic probably increases on that road daily daily.  What do you expect?  It will probably be five lanes soon.

Plus, anyone see the property value on Solver Lake these days?!  They will be JUST fine. :)

Joe

Link to comment
Share on other sites


9 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Plus, anyone see the property value on Solver Lake these days?!  They will be JUST fine. :)

Joe

It's probably mostly the condo owners who are complaining, which they're not on the lake. Two of my girls played golf tournaments there, every fairway is surrounded by condos. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

It's probably mostly the condo owners who are complaining, which they're not on the lake. Two of my girls played golf tournaments there, every fairway is surrounded by condos. 

As I've said before, if you don't own the land or it's not in some sort of conservancy, expect it to get to developed.  The developer could have added way more than the 50 units proposed and still been within the zoning.

And yeah properties on the lake are going up and past $1m.  I have friends that live on the lake and they said people are buying multiple lots, tearing the houses/cottages down and building new.  Kinda similar with Dean Lake, except more renovations than raze/rebuild .  It's crazy, but it's a natural inland lake within 20 mins of GR.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Dropping a link to this survey opportunity from Kent County as they seek input on how to spend $176 million of federal dollars.  The idea I submitted was for more parks and green space and connectivity thereof.....

https://grbj.com/news/government/county-seeks-community-input-on-federal-funding/?_hsmi=214556933&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--EJm5S9B2w6KYPX2arQnuBGER4vZ62Sv36QxuXbHYvk7MM7uwyvGY6kU4jRsEUdYJaTxWEKGRI3N88XIEX0ysCmwD_oA

Submit ideas here: https://kentcountyarpa.com/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, grandrollerz said:

Dropping a link to this survey opportunity from Kent County as they seek input on how to spend $176 million of federal dollars.  The idea I submitted was for more parks and green space and connectivity thereof.....

https://grbj.com/news/government/county-seeks-community-input-on-federal-funding/?_hsmi=214556933&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--EJm5S9B2w6KYPX2arQnuBGER4vZ62Sv36QxuXbHYvk7MM7uwyvGY6kU4jRsEUdYJaTxWEKGRI3N88XIEX0ysCmwD_oA

Submit ideas here: https://kentcountyarpa.com/

Since these are one-time funds, I hope they're wise enough to use them on one-time expenses and not programmatic expenses...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/3/2022 at 11:25 AM, Raildude's dad said:

Amway is not the big user, King Milling is. They get 20-30 cars at a time of western wheat. They recently shipped out a few cars of flour , first time in 30? years. I don't see rucks as an alternative for inbound wheat.

I've looked at the RR property for a trail. for a number of  years. There's a lot of area where the track bed is in wetlands. Can't build a trail there unless it's boardwalk and IF and that's a big IF, the RR will allow it. Boar walks are $$ to build, slippery when wet and need maintenance. 

There is a good location for a trail. My boss and I have both scoped it out :).

I feel like expensive boardwalks haven't stopped other trail systems.  The Cannon trail has an extensive boardwalk and that trail is way less popular that the White Pine.  Cannon township is working on extending it with my board walks, retaining walls, etc.  I feel like the communities have the money and people really value trails.

It would be great to connect ALL the trails in Kent County.  I think that is the end goal, but it would be great!

20 hours ago, grandrollerz said:

Dropping a link to this survey opportunity from Kent County as they seek input on how to spend $176 million of federal dollars.  The idea I submitted was for more parks and green space and connectivity thereof.....

https://grbj.com/news/government/county-seeks-community-input-on-federal-funding/?_hsmi=214556933&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--EJm5S9B2w6KYPX2arQnuBGER4vZ62Sv36QxuXbHYvk7MM7uwyvGY6kU4jRsEUdYJaTxWEKGRI3N88XIEX0ysCmwD_oA

Submit ideas here: https://kentcountyarpa.com/

That's a great idea!  This could certainly help connect the river trail all the way to the lakeshore!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.