Jump to content

JLL Marketed Duke Properties (2 now and eventually 3)


CarolinaDaydreamin

Recommended Posts


12 hours ago, dxartist said:

There's underground parking in the building through 3 different entrances.  

I’m aware of that but will it be enough to house that many apartments and what are they going to do about the surface lot right next to it?

Edited by j-man
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

From what I understand, the Berlin-based company is hyper sensitive to environmental concerns. It isn't demolishing the building because it can make a case for repurposing existing building infrastructure (concrete, steel, glass, etc). 

But the Berlin company is buying the data center building on S College which I am sure they demo'ing. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I couldn't care less if they want to keep the eyesore shell that's currently beside the convention center as long as they fix the street level, add retail, and build a 1000 room hotel that looks in place beside the DEC and new Duke energy plaza.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

I couldn't care less if they want to keep the eyesore shell that's currently beside the convention center as long as they fix the street level, add retail, and build a 1000 room hotel that looks in place beside the DEC and new Duke energy plaza.

No one is building a 1000 room hotel at the moment. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Rufus said:

And I will continue to be a broken record with this, but I don't think Charlotte should waste money trying to compete with the existing convention heavyweights. It just doesn't make sense to go that route, and there are plenty of cities that don't pursue the large convention market. 

Don’t think we’re trying to compete with heavyweights like Vegas, Orlando, & New Orleans of the world but we need to be competitive with other peer cities. I’ve always viewed Indianapolis as a similar peer in this respect.  We both strive to be a sports and convention city. That’s their bread n butter. We don’t have a steady tourism pull like New Orleans and other destination cities. Conventions, sporting and other events are what brings a lot of ppl into the city. There are lessons learned when conventions pull out due to lack of size and maybe someday down the road our CC will be reassessed. The old data center project will hopefully have event space and there is the lot behind the Madison & two hotels which I believe is owned by the CC for future expansion. It won’t be contiguous space, however, they could add some significant space if they wanted to. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Don’t think we’re trying to compete with heavyweights like Vegas, Orlando, & New Orleans of the world but we need to be competitive with other peer cities. I’ve always viewed Indianapolis as a similar peer in this respect.  We both strive to be a sports and convention city. That’s their bread n butter. We don’t have a steady tourism pull like New Orleans and other destination cities. Conventions, sporting and other events are what brings a lot of ppl into the city. There are lessons learned when conventions pull out due to lack of size and maybe someday down the road our CC will be reassessed. The old data center project will hopefully have event space and there is the lot behind the Madison & two hotels which I believe is owned by the CC for future expansion. It won’t be contiguous space, however, they could add some significant space if they wanted to. 

Sure, they have a 566,000sqft of exhibit space (not including the stadium). I think that's the sweet spot, but even that may not be enough to warrant large conventions to fill it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/3/2022 at 2:07 PM, j-man said:

I’m aware of that but will it be enough to house that many apartments and what are they going to do about the surface lot right next to it?

I'm guessing no.  There's really not a lot of parking down there.

You mean Mint Street Parking Deck?  If so, from the internal memo I got, the company is gaging interest on that plot.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, CLT Development said:

Can I just say we don't have a convention center that deserves a 1000 room hotel? We really should have saved the money and put it  toward a new convention center instead of spending $140,000,000 on the latest "expansion." 260,000 sq feet contiguous just cannot compete.  

Our peers can just offer WAY more.

If Tepper renovates BofA Stadium, the land where Charlotte Pipe is would make a lot of sense for a new convention center and Tepper's village could be the hub of the hotels and bars for the convention space.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/5/2022 at 2:00 PM, dxartist said:

I'm guessing no.  There's really not a lot of parking down there.

You mean Mint Street Parking Deck?  If so, from the internal memo I got, the company is gaging interest on that plot.

No I’m talking about the parking surface  right next to the building…why does everyone keep asking what parking. Have y’all not ever seen this side of  the building. 
55B9A97B-CEB8-400F-B056-7A076616C906.thumb.jpeg.468e4c4c6ad6d42cc93425105a7101df.jpeg

On 5/4/2022 at 11:26 PM, CLT Development said:

Can I just say we don't have a convention center that deserves a 1000 room hotel? We really should have saved the money and put it  toward a new convention center instead of spending $140,000,000 on the latest "expansion." 260,000 sq feet contiguous just cannot compete.  

Our peers can just offer WAY more.

I agree!! It’s something about the convention center that I just don’t like. It still looks outdated on the front side and it is such a huge dead zone in the middle of the city. An entirely new one with a 1,000 room hotel should have been on the table because this one still doesn’t seem that great. Sure it’s location in amazing but they could have done better with it. 

Edited by j-man
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, RANYC said:

Would rather an aquarium or incredibly re-done discovery place museum than new convention center to replace one we just spent a couple years renovating 

I would love an aquarium but. Aquariums are actually pretty dead space areas though. The Atlanta one is horrible. Baltimore, meh. 
 

Uptown Charlotte simply needs more opportunities for small businesses.  Not an aquarium. And Restaurants/businesses that cater towards entrepreneurial and restaurant-people’s creativity as opposed to over-priced basic chains or places that are as uninspiring as a Ruth Chris. 
 

Capitol Grille, Eddie V’s, Sea Level, Morton’s… maybe I’m just weird, but I don’t wake up excited to go get Eddie V’s…. Eddie V’s is like “oh, there’s a great place in the mall we should have a work-related happy hour at… I miss Lucky’s Bar & Arcade… I miss the movie theater, I miss Tin Roof, I miss Amelie’s… all my go-to places in uptown are mostly gone….

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

^^^ I agree we probably should not do an aquarium but I do believe the Georgia Aquarium is a fantastic facility one of the best I have seen from coast to coast.   Plus NC has 3 aquariums at the coast and state support would be unlikely.   If you have not been to any of them you need to go.  One south of Wilmington at Fort Fisher, one in Pine Knoll Shores near Morehead City and one in Manteo on the OBX where there is a huge turtle rescue lab. 

  • Like 4
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I would love an aquarium but. Aquariums are actually pretty dead space areas though. The Atlanta one is horrible. Baltimore, meh. 
 

Uptown Charlotte simply needs more opportunities for small businesses.  Not an aquarium. And Restaurants/businesses that cater towards entrepreneurial and restaurant-people’s creativity as opposed to over-priced basic chains or places that are as uninspiring as a Ruth Chris. 
 

Capitol Grille, Eddie V’s, Sea Level, Morton’s… maybe I’m just weird, but I don’t wake up excited to go get Eddie V’s…. Eddie V’s is like “oh, there’s a great place in the mall we should have a work-related happy hour at… I miss Lucky’s Bar & Arcade… I miss the movie theater, I miss Tin Roof, I miss Amelie’s… all my go-to places in uptown are mostly gone….

Amelie's is at least coming back. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Uptown has plenty of opportunities for small businesses, they just aren’t leasing any of the thousands of currently vacant retail square footage available. South End is the new hotspot for restaurant and actual shopping options and Uptown needs something to stand out.

An aquarium is really a must have for a city of Charlotte’s size and pretty much every single one of our peer cities (and cities smaller than us) have one. The Georgia Aquarium is a great aquarium and brings in roughly the same amount of annual tourists as Carowinds does in a much, much smaller space. Even the World of Coca Cola is a more interesting and generalized attraction than anything Uptown currently has to offer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I would love an aquarium but. Aquariums are actually pretty dead space areas though. The Atlanta one is horrible. Baltimore, meh. 
 

Uptown Charlotte simply needs more opportunities for small businesses.  Not an aquarium. And Restaurants/businesses that cater towards entrepreneurial and restaurant-people’s creativity as opposed to over-priced basic chains or places that are as uninspiring as a Ruth Chris. 
 

Capitol Grille, Eddie V’s, Sea Level, Morton’s… maybe I’m just weird, but I don’t wake up excited to go get Eddie V’s…. Eddie V’s is like “oh, there’s a great place in the mall we should have a work-related happy hour at… I miss Lucky’s Bar & Arcade… I miss the movie theater, I miss Tin Roof, I miss Amelie’s… all my go-to places in uptown are mostly gone….

Two diff issues.  I find convention centers to be dead spaces too.  But in response to a suggestion for a new convention on top of the one we just completed, I suggested I’d rather an aquarium than a newly funded convention project after so recently finishing a convention project.

but my suggestion for an aquarium over a new convention center doesn’t mean I don’t wish to prioritize small business and local proprietorships in uptown.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, 49er said:

Convention Centers are for visitors and ours is fine. We should be investing in more facilities that actual residents can enjoy - like better science museums, an aquarium, parks, etc. 

There was an INCREDIBLE new version pre-pandemic. Lets hope it resurfaces one day.

Just now, RANYC said:

Two diff issues.  I find convention centers to be dead spaces too.  But in response to a suggestion for a new convention on top of the one we just completed, I suggested I’d rather an aquarium than a newly funded convention project after so recently finishing a convention project.

but my suggestion for an aquarium over a new convention center doesn’t mean I don’t wish to prioritize small business and local proprietorships in uptown.

My suggestion is more of a lamentation that we spent $130M expanding a convention center that just needs replacing.

14 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

Uptown has plenty of opportunities for small businesses, they just aren’t leasing any of the thousands of currently vacant retail square footage available. South End is the new hotspot for restaurant and actual shopping options and Uptown needs something to stand out.

An aquarium is really a must have for a city of Charlotte’s size and pretty much every single one of our peer cities (and cities smaller than us) have one. The Georgia Aquarium is a great aquarium and brings in roughly the same amount of annual tourists as Carowinds does in a much, much smaller space. Even the World of Coca Cola is a more interesting and generalized attraction than anything Uptown currently has to offer.

Maybe if the state of North Carolina would invest a dime in Cultural and Educational opportunities outside of Raleigh.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.