MacArthur Mall REDEVELOPMENT (Proposed/Planning) City of Norfolk

Hello Everyone I have great news! Weather you have heard it or not the MacArthur Mall is set to be redeveloped after serving 20+ years with us and giving the City of Norfolk over 4 billion in revenue! Sadly the malls time is here and sooner or later we might see the wrecking ball hit the Mall everyone of us has been too and everyone of us had made a memory at. 

Official City of Norfolk OPTIONS:

Option 1: Open up the ends and light up the exterior, Surviving mall parts turned into Office space.

Option 2: Leverage MacArthur Center’s valuable assets: a 23-acre central site, 4,000 structured parking spaces, 400,000 square feet of anchor buildings, and a third anchor parcel ripe for redevelopment. “De-mall” the center to reopen Market Street as a landscaped, pedestrian-friendly promenade lined with mixed-use buildings, including residential uses. Line City Hall Avenue with micro retail, craft manufacturing and small services and businesses.

Option 3 (Personally my Favorite) :Demolish MacArthur Center and build a new urban district with a street pattern that re-opens Bank and Court Streets to connect Scope and Chrysler Hall with Main Street and the Waterfront.

PROOF FOR PLANNING BY DOWNTOWN NORFOLK COUNCIL:5869b71b82b5619e0290c84ffafa6eef.png

I would like to say that Option 3 is my favorite because it puts a street grid right back into the Center of Norfolk! Imagine the amount of office/residential tower space there will be! This will add 6-8 new CITY BLOCKS. Lets hope if this does happen it wont be settled for plain 4-5 floor apartments like what they did to the SPQ planning!

• Like 1

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Legendary State of the City that was jam packed with projects that never happened. 

Hello Everyone I have great news! Weather you have heard it or not the MacArthur Mall is set to be redeveloped after serving 20+ years with us and giving the City of Norfolk over 4 billion in revenue!

From NFKVA dot com.  "When Replacing MacArthur Center, Double Down on Downtown’s Wins" https://nfkva.com/when-replacing-macarthur-center-double-down-on-downtowns-wins/

The thing with the mall is that its dead. Dont even try to defend it.....Its straight dead. Its time for replacement of the mall. Just imagine the various new open sites demolishing it could make. Within a few years we could have a actual city grid comparable to Richmond. Im glad the talks around the mall are popping up in news stories now

On 9/29/2021 at 11:15 AM, NFKfloodcaptain said:

From NFKVA dot com. 

"When Replacing MacArthur Center, Double Down on Downtown’s Wins"

https://nfkva.com/when-replacing-macarthur-center-double-down-on-downtowns-wins/

1 hour ago, ronsmytheiii said:

I thought they were adding apartments already to the area that used to be the site of a hypothetical third anchor already, is that not happening?

Does not seem so. I would rather have it torn down anyways though.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ronsmytheiii said:

I thought they were adding apartments already to the area that used to be the site of a hypothetical third anchor already, is that not happening?

Legendary State of the City that was jam packed with projects that never happened. 

• Like 4

Yep....We have a tendency to butter up the public and then throw them in the fire. Or in other words give them a great idea and then throw it away....I hope this mall project will keep advancing

3 minutes ago, Asdfjkl; said:

20 hours ago, Asdfjkl; said:

I’m sorry, but as one of his former subjects, I’m qualified to say that nothing coming out of his mouth or office could ever be considered legendary. Lol. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.