Jump to content

MacArthur Mall REDEVELOPMENT (Proposed/Planning) City of Norfolk


carolinaboy

Recommended Posts

Pembroke mall is really going places, I wonder what they will do with MacArthur mall in the coming future. Went to walk in the mall on saturday and found it something close to dead. Factors like the recent shooting(s) here in Norfolk and lots of the retail closing has lead to it being how it is now (I think?). Was pretty weird to see it that way. The mall its self is sill in good shape.

Edited by mintscraft56
Link to comment
Share on other sites


18 hours ago, mintscraft56 said:

Pembroke mall is really going places, I wonder what they will do with MacArthur mall in the coming future. Went to walk in the mall on saturday and found it something close to dead. Factors like the recent shooting(s) here in Norfolk and lots of the retail closing has lead to it being how it is now (I think?). Was pretty weird to see it that way. The mall its self is sill in good shape.

I really hope Norfolk goes with reestablishing some sort of street grid with a gathering plaza within the mall site to build around.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, urbanlife said:

I really hope Norfolk goes with reestablishing some sort of street grid with a gathering plaza within the mall site to build around.

Your wish here is being considered. Norfolk released this to show considered suggestions for mall redevelopment. Take a look your self. I honestly favor complete tear down and rebuilding of the street grid (Plan three). This idea has been added to the Downtown 2030 plan.

https://norfolkdevelopment.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/20-11-20-MacArthur-Center-DowntownPlan-2pg.pdf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very disappointing! Somehow some way the city needs to get a handle on crime especially in the Downtown area.  My partner and I are starting to have second thoughts about staying Downtown, but my devotion to Norfolk is pretty unshakeable.  We will see how things go at the Spring Townpoint wine festival.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, NFKfloodcaptain said:

Well, as said before. The mall is really on the verge of becoming another pembroke project. It depends honestly on how many more stores leave. Either Norfolk needs to make a quick decision or they gotta let the mall go.

Edited by mintscraft56
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it will take Dillards closing or something huge before Norfolk decides to do something with the mall. Only until there aren't any anchor stores left is when they will take action and Dillards isn't exactly a huge money making machine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, zeppelin14 said:

I think it will take Dillards closing or something huge before Norfolk decides to do something with the mall. Only until there aren't any anchor stores left is when they will take action and Dillards isn't exactly a huge money making machine.

Yea, they are looking in good shape but they are hesitant to move. They sell clothes but with the modern market now online, I just cant see them continuing past 2025 with the money they are making.

Also, we finally got our 2nd page. Yay

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, mintscraft56 said:

By the looks of it now, No. Norfolk needs something new. The mall is lovely and great but its undoubtedly losing its shine in Downtown which is a shame but it is true.

This is really sad to hear because I was really hopeful that whatever got built on these surface lots would be something that could stand the test of time and help Norfolk evolve, but when finding out that it was gonna be a huge mall, I was skeptical but hopeful. In the short term, it seemed to help, but for the long term, it didn't account for how our shopping habits would change and that malls would eventually become obsolete. It would have been better for Norfolk to have built a "city center" that was a mix of uses that attracted people to live, work, and shop downtown rather than a big drive in, shop, and leave experience. I always hated how easy it was to drive into downtown, go straight into the parking garage, shop in the mall, and never once step foot in downtown.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/18/2022 at 8:56 AM, mintscraft56 said:

By the looks of it now, No. Norfolk needs something new. The mall is lovely and great but its undoubtedly losing its shine in Downtown which is a shame but it is true.

That's not just a Norfolk issue.  I doubt MacArthur is doing any better or worse than Pembroke or Greenbrier; malls in general are quickly becoming extinct. It's just downtown's had so many crime issues the past few months that MacArthur, being the "crown jewel" that revitalized the area, looks the worst. The fact that we're not 100% out of this pandemic probably doesn't help.

I think these issues - along with so many stores leaving - hit Norfolk quicker than it expected. I also think Norfolk figured it had a few years to come up with a game plan and now they need to act quicker. They also need to realize you can work on both MacArthur and Military simultaneously. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, vdogg said:

We don't need 2 separate mall threads so I merged them.

Oh ok, who counts as the author for this one?  I know its not important but I just wanna ask for the heck of it. 

2 hours ago, BFG said:

That's not just a Norfolk issue.  I doubt MacArthur is doing any better or worse than Pembroke or Greenbrier; malls in general are quickly becoming extinct. It's just downtown's had so many crime issues the past few months that MacArthur, being the "crown jewel" that revitalized the area, looks the worst. The fact that we're not 100% out of this pandemic probably doesn't help.

I think these issues - along with so many stores leaving - hit Norfolk quicker than it expected. I also think Norfolk figured it had a few years to come up with a game plan and now they need to act quicker. They also need to realize you can work on both MacArthur and Military simultaneously. 

Yea, true. Its a shame the walk around malls are in decline. Except for lynnhaven. I dont know what it is about lynnhaven but it seems to be holding strong. 

Edited by mintscraft56
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, mintscraft56 said:

Oh ok, who counts as the author for this one?  I know its not important but I just wanna ask for the heck of it. 

Yea, true. Its a shame the walk around malls are in decline. Except for lynnhaven. I dont know what it is about lynnhaven but it seems to be holding strong. 

$$$$ - closest mall to the largest concentration of high earning households in the region. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mintscraft56 said:

Oh ok, who counts as the author for this one?  I know its not important but I just wanna ask for the heck of it. 

Yea, true. Its a shame the walk around malls are in decline. Except for lynnhaven. I dont know what it is about lynnhaven but it seems to be holding strong. 

It comes down to who owns the malls and good management. Greenbrier and MacArthur are owned by CBL Properties (maybe CBRE after foreclosure?) and Spinoso respectively, while Lynnhaven is owned by Brookfield Properties (formerly known as GGP). CBL and Starwood are pretty low on the commercial real estate totem pole, while Brookfield has some of the best malls in the world.. They simply have better resources and talent than the firms managing MacArthur and Greenbrier.

Edited by Arctic_Tern
Both Greenbrier and MacArthur seem to have exchanged hands since last I checked, so edited to be more correct
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMO, Lynnhaven also does the best at adapting with the times and offers stores the average person wants. You've got Old Navy, Macy's, Apple, Dave and Busters, Barnes & Noble. Some of the other malls have or had those, but in most cases you had to drive to the next strip mall a mile or so away. With Lynnhaven all of those stores are under one roof.

I do miss that upstairs food court though.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.