whw53

5 hours ago, whw53 said:

Sort of like the South Richmond thread i like having a place for those neighborhoods outside the urban core that are still within the city limits. The collection of neighborhoods west of 195 - Willow Lawn, Malvern Gardens, Westhampton, Three Chopt etc. We've seen more and more cases of infill development and i think that will continue. What prompted me here was the story this morning in BizSense about the council member led effort to throw TOD-1 zoning all along Broad from 195 to Willow Lawn. 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/09/27/city-ponders-plan-to-extend-tod-zoning-westward-along-broad-street/

Help me understand one part of this article: Katherine Jordan's proposal to apply TOD-1 with a height-overlay maintaining current height restrictions - is this intended ONLY for the south side of Broad? She's not suggesting imposing height restrictions to the north side of Broad as well, correct?

5 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Help me understand one part of this article: Katherine Jordan's proposal to apply TOD-1 with a height-overlay maintaining current height restrictions - is this intended ONLY for the south side of Broad? She's not suggesting imposing height restrictions to the north side of Broad as well, correct?

Definitely just affecting the South side based on what I am reading.

The B-5 and B-6 zonings restrict heights to five and four stories, respectively, but Jordan said the change to TOD would allow for more uses than what’s permitted in those districts.

By combining TOD with a building height restriction overlay, those same height restrictions would remain in effect while allowing more uses consistent with TOD zoning across the street, Jordan said last week while presenting the proposal to the city’s Land Use, Housing & Transportation Committee.

“When these two south side sections were zoned B-5 and B-6, the intent was to get it closer aligned with the Pulse Corridor study that council unanimously approved in 2017. We’ve worked with the planning office and feel like a TOD-1 with height overlay is actually more in keeping both with the Pulse Corridor Plan and with the goals of TOD-1 Richmond 300,” Jordan said.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Icetera said:

Definitely just affecting the South side based on what I am reading.

Thanks, Icetera.

That's (more or less) what I thought - but for some reason the article didn't spell out that the height restrictions would not apply to the north side of Broad. "Uses consistent with TOD zoning across the street" just didn't have enough clarity to me - (vs spelling out that this overlay would apply ONLY to one half of the street).  The article could have been written a bit more clearly to specify that.

2 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Thanks, Icetera.

That's (more or less) what I thought - but for some reason the article didn't spell out that the height restrictions would not apply to the north side of Broad. "Uses consistent with TOD zoning across the street" just didn't have enough clarity to me - (vs spelling out that this overlay would apply ONLY to one half of the street).  The article could have been written a bit more clearly to specify that.

"Uses" meaning business and residential types rather than actual forms (height, etc.).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Icetera said:

"Uses" meaning business and residential types rather than actual forms (height, etc.).

Oh of course! Still - as a former journalist, I do think this fact could/should have been spelled out a bit more clearly. I get that their 'core' audience in all likelihood innately understands what's meant. I don't think it would have blown out their word-count budget for the story to include that fact. :lol:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I really like this graphic that was with the WRIC story. We should maybe post it here somewhere as a reference tool because the question comes up quite frequently, particularly among new folks joining the fold here, about how TOD-1 zoning works.

building-height.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Thanks 2

On 9/27/2021 at 9:46 AM, whw53 said:

Sort of like the South Richmond thread i like having a place for those neighborhoods outside the urban core that are still within the city limits. The collection of neighborhoods west of 195 - Willow Lawn, Malvern Gardens, Westhampton, Three Chopt etc. We've seen more and more cases of infill development and i think that will continue. What prompted me here was the story this morning in BizSense about the council member led effort to throw TOD-1 zoning all along Broad from 195 to Willow Lawn. 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/09/27/city-ponders-plan-to-extend-tod-zoning-westward-along-broad-street/

How high can tod1 go?

1 hour ago, ancientcarpenter said:

How high can tod1 go?

Guys - correct me if I'm mistaken - but I think a developer technically could go higher in a TOD-1 zone with an approved SUP, yes? Not saying it would be easy to get said SUP though the flaming hoops process, depending on location, etc.

Edited by I miss RVA

10 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Guys - correct me if I'm mistaken - but I think a developer technically could go higher in a TOD-1 zone with an approved SUP, yes? Not saying it would be easy to get said SUP though the flaming hoops process, depending on location, etc.

Yes, but I think that would just be the case with a SUP no matter what zoning it is in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Icetera said:

Yes, but I think that would just be the case with a SUP no matter what zoning it is in.

That's what I thought. Of course - you know how it seems to go around here when SUPs get filed and NIMBYs get up in arms. Seems like a SUP is to a NIMBY what a flame is to a moth.

6 hours ago, Shakman said:

The years I lived in Richmond, I would drive by these lots and imagine the replacements of these commercial buildings into a high density development.  Now there's interest.  Hopefully in the long term this can spur the redevelopment of Willow Lawn Center itself into a high density, mixed-use development.

AMEN to that!! Hopefully, too, the PULSE line will benefit and this will help spur the push to extend the line farther west.

• 3 weeks later...