whw53

Yeah, many of those businesses on the north side of Broad have their parking lots in Henrico.

I’m in Henrico but am dead serious that I could throw a baseball into the city from my back yard. The houses across the street are split Henrico/Richmond properties. They pay pro rata property tax to both based on where the square footage lies in each.

• Thanks 1

So if you threw a baseball through your neighbors window, they would call Richmond 9-1-1 but Henrico Police would show up at your front door?   

What's the annexation process between a Virginia county and an independent city?

Edited by Shakman
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Shakman said:

So if you threw a baseball through your neighbors window, they would call Richmond 9-1-1 but Henrico Police would show up at your front door?   

What's the annexation process between a Virginia county and an independent city?

There is none. It's not permitted under state law.

In the wake of RIchmond's 1970 annexation of 23 square miles of Chesterfield and the resulting legal battles regarding racial differences in voting strength, the General Assembly imposed an annexation moratorium in 1971 on cities with a population of 125,000 or more. It was amended in 1979 to focus on granting levels of immunity from annexation to counties of specific population sizes.

In 1987, the moratorium was extended to all municipalities statewide, regardless of population sizes (meaning, no more hierarchical levels of immunity for a locality based on population size - rather, it was a blanket moratorium) with extremely limited exceptions for very small towns. The moratorium was extended by the General Assembly in  2016 - and is currently in effect through 2024.

https://www.vaco.org/annexation-moratorium-extended/

https://newsletter.coopercenter.org/sites/newsletter/files/Virginia_News_Letter_2012_Vol._88_No_1.pdf

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/232779004.pdf

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Shakman said:

Great hypothetical!

We did have a guy miss the stop sign late one night and launch his car up and over the caddy-corner neighbor‘s driveway — all the way into the back yard. (Thankfully the homeowner wasn’t home.)  I think Richmond police showed up for that.  

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, whw53 said:

Neat project before the Planning Commission tonight - SUP for seven attached homes off Grove across from Mary Munford Elementary. Planning staff recommends approval. Row of units facing grove backed by a row facing the alley. 

https://richmondva.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=5360875&GUID=E8D52DCB-32A8-4B18-B65E-34B3034320C2&Options=&Search=

4508_grove3.png

4508_grove1.png

4508_grove2.png

4508_grove_site.png

I like this infill project a LOT. There are plenty of places in the Near West End and in the Museum District where something like this could reallllllllly fit to fill out some real holes and add some nice density. I hope we see many more projects such as this in the NWE and in the M-D. :tw_thumbsup:

Edited by I miss RVA

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/11/2021 at 7:44 PM, rjp212 said:

So this is merely conceptual, but the lot is under contract.  Hopefully something similar comes along. 4400 W Broad St

image.thumb.png.e6233f8c857113f0b2f438d391d72cae.png

Looks like we got an update on this project. New project will include a  "pair of apartment buildings totaling 340 units."

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/03/14/340-apartments-planned-for-former-motleys-site-on-broad-street/

motleys3.jpeg

motleys4.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Hmmm...a lot shorter than the conceptual rendering.  That's disappointing.

Refresh my memory: I can't recall what the conceptual rendering for this project looked like. Do we have it anywhere? (I normally save out all the renderings & I don't remember if I grabbed these or not)...

EDIT: NEVER MIND. It was directly above. My bad. 

Edited by I miss RVA

• 1 month later...

Welllllllllllllllllllll... this is NOT good... that wonderful, high-density set of apartment buildings to be built adjacent to Willow Lawn is getting scaled back - part of it is being put on hold while parking for the PULSE station is sorted out - and one of the buildings is being trimmed by 75 units. I skimmed the article - but if I read it correctly, we can thank our friendly, local, pearl-clutching neighborhood NIMBYs and their pushback for scaling back the one building from 7 stories and 330 units to 4 stories and 265 units - stair-stepping up to seven stories toward the back (and away from the street).  Jesus...  I swear, we just can't have nice things in RVA, can we!!

As Scooby would say - "Rut Rohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..."

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/04/27/part-of-willow-lawn-apartment-project-shelved-as-county-ponders-pulse-parking/

Edited by I miss RVA

Hopefully they can come up with either some shared solution using other under-used existing parking near Willow Lawn or some kind of public-private joint venture to build a parking deck with housing above it. That land is way too valuable for a surface lot park and ride, and that use seems antithetical to the type of dense, infill that the Pulse will help catalyze. Broad from downtown to Short Pump should be Richmond's version of Wilshire Boulevard in LA. In cities with successful transit, you still usually need to pay at the park and ride lots.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, flaneur said:

Hopefully they can come up with either some shared solution using other under-used existing parking near Willow Lawn or some kind of public-private joint venture to build a parking deck with housing above it. That land is way too valuable for a surface lot park and ride, and that use seems antithetical to the type of dense, infill that the Pulse will help catalyze. Broad from downtown to Short Pump should be Richmond's version of Wilshire Boulevard in LA. In cities with successful transit, you still usually need to pay at the park and ride lots.

Bruce made a great comment in response to the story in today's RBS. He said:

"Willow Lawn and Short Pump are the two ends of the retail barbell in Henrico County. That’s where the density belongs and will occur. The bar is the Pulse line connecting them."

He's right. The PULSE line needs to be extended all the way to Short Pump - and as you said (and Bruce as well) density belongs along the PULSE corridor.

I hope and pray this gets worked out and the Byrd Avenue group of buildings can get built according to original spec without downsizing. I'm extremely disappointed that the NIMBYs won AGAIN and the developers are scaling back the Willow Lawn Drive buildings.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Welllllllllllllllllllll... this is NOT good... that wonderful, high-density set of apartment buildings to be built adjacent to Willow Lawn is getting scaled back - part of it is being put on hold while parking for the PULSE station is sorted out - and one of the buildings is being trimmed by 75 units. I skimmed the article - but if I read it correctly, we can thank our friendly, local, pearl-clutching neighborhood NIMBYs and their pushback for scaling back the one building from 7 stories and 330 units to 4 stories and 265 units - stair-stepping up to seven stories toward the back (and away from the street).  Jesus...  I swear, we just can't have nice things in RVA, can we!!

As Scooby would say - "Rut Rohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..."

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/04/27/part-of-willow-lawn-apartment-project-shelved-as-county-ponders-pulse-parking/

Respectfully disagree. This was very foreseeable. The area where the build is planned is tight, at least on one side. I can’t really blame them here.

Edit: I say this as someone who lives in the Willow Lawn area (albeit it not at that precise location). No one on this board wants to see WL thrive more than me.

Edited by DowntownCoruscant