whw53

13 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

A “cynical” view would be that developers play the NIMBY crowd by initially proposing something bigger than they really planned so that it appears as a compromise when the developer lowers their density to accommodate the “concerns of the community.” 

I can see that happening, actually! 

14 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

A “cynical” view would be that developers play the NIMBY crowd by initially proposing something bigger than they really planned so that it appears as a compromise when the developer lowers their density to accommodate the “concerns of the community.” 

I would absolutely do that as a developer here.

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

Multi-family rezoning for the Budget Rental at 4204 W Broad St.   100+ Units.

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/selfservice#/plan/6fb7d2c8-b1d9-4bd9-ab46-b085886d8179?tab=attachments

North side of Broad - two blocks east of one of the projects (Alliance Rental developer) that we know about already at 4400 W. Broad. Has anyone heard any rumblings about who/what specifically this project is? It's in the city limits - of course if it's big enough, it could do the some in the city, some in the county thing that the development at 4400 W. Broad is going to do. This whole stretch of Broad is zoned TOD-1, too. :tw_thumbsup:

Given how Westwood is getting ready to detonate with development - and the fact that the city upzoned the entirety of W. Broad from I-195 to Staples Mill to TOD-1, I have a feeling this whole stretch of Broad Street is about ready to realllllllllllllllllllllllllly start popping. Watch for apartment buildings to start sprouting like mushrooms after a summer thunderstorm along this stretch, particularly on the Westwood side of Broad.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

Multi-family rezoning for the Budget Rental at 4204 W Broad St.   100+ Units.

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/selfservice#/plan/6fb7d2c8-b1d9-4bd9-ab46-b085886d8179?tab=attachments

Using the Tidewater again as reference, this is looking to be 12 floors given the lot size.  Someone is looking at that TOD zoning :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Icetera said:

Using the Tidewater again as reference, this is looking to be 12 floors given the lot size.  Someone is looking at that TOD zoning :)

Nice!  This will be one of the first, if not THE first, 12 story building west of I-195 taking advantage of that TOD zoning as you mentioned.  

• Like 2

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/07/21/3-5m-land-deal-sets-stage-for-libbie-avenue-condos/

Another nice infill project on Libbie.  I love how Libbie between Grove and Patterson is taking on a more "midtown" feel.  It's one of the few places in the West End where one can walk to restaurants and other businesses.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wahoo 07 said:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/07/21/3-5m-land-deal-sets-stage-for-libbie-avenue-condos/

Another nice infill project on Libbie.  I love how Libbie between Grove and Patterson is taking on a more "midtown" feel.  It's one of the few places in the West End where one can walk to restaurants and other businesses.  

The folks in that area still have a problem with height though, as I recall. I’m not suggesting something that’s 30 stories tall, but I think that area could do okay with 10-15 story residence towers or something mixed use. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

The folks in that area still have a problem with height though, as I recall. I’m not suggesting something that’s 30 stories tall, but I think that area could do okay with 10-15 story residence towers or something mixed use. 

Obviously, I'd love to see some height introduced into Westhampton as well - but it might be a step whose stride is a little TOO large RIGHT NOW. Down the road, if this part of the city continues densifying, I could see it. Much as I love and want height everywhere, this is one of those cases where I totally understand the need to "stair-step" the level of development. Meaning, pushback against height makes more sense in this part of town at this particular time than it would in, say, Scott's Addition or Manchester - where pushback against height would be, IMNSHO, little more than ego-driven, insane NIMBYism for the sake of "just because". (Witness the tom-foolery of the various Fan District neighborhood associations over the TOD-1 vs B4 zoning for W. Broad... I STILL can't eyeroll or faceplant hard enough over that.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

This is some great height and infill on what's a bit of a dead stretch of Broad between the new UMFS apts and Willow Lawn.

• Like 1

That is perhaps the most no-brainer pocket to be developed in the Willow Lawn area, or maybe anywhere in Richmond. Meaning no offense to Computer World or the Professional Bartender Academy (which might not even be there anymore), that building hasn't seen significant action in well over a decade and the one-way alley behind it gets more traffic, from people wanting a quick cutover to Westmoreland, than the building itself. Also, I'm fine with not going 12 floors; it's so close to a wide swath of single-family homes that anything above the 7 reportedly planned would probably be disruptive.

• Like 1

I love the idea of this part of town building up.  I do wish that this building could remain and the new building could go elsewhere, at least until more of the strip fills in (then rebuild on this site).

The height is good and it will make the area look more built up but I hate that it’s basically replacing the existing building while leaving so many other blocks that need the attention (I understand that the property owners of this existing site are driving this, meaning the other blocks are completely irrelevant to this development). 

I hate when towns have all of their buildings built around the same time.  I like the texture that older buildings bring and the evidence that a particular town has been relevant throughout the decades, not just recently.   This is a good-looking enough building that could ground a bunch of new development around it (think of how the old office building at the Willow Lawn shopping center gives that section of the “mall” a town feel). 

All that said, I love this for the Richmond and look forward to seeing height in this area.  It’s long overdue. 

• Like 3

Hopefully the first of many dominoes to fall in this part of the city. This section of the Near West End has a TON of potential. If this can serve as a catalyst for more development, I'll be very interested to see what the NWE looks like in 5-10 years.

A couple of other points: this is the first large-scale development to rise on the south side of Broad in the TOD-1 zoned area, and this stretch of Broad heading east is on the verge of really popping with new development. Recall that two large-scale developments, including one quite nearby (at 4400 W. Broad) are slated to rise on the Westwood side of Broad - and there are a few other very large developments in the pipeline for a few blocks north in Westwood. Wow - this entire "greater Westwood/Near West End" area is getting ready to explode with construction. I can't wait to see it all come to pass!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

yea -  I agree with @Brent114. Good to see new development south side of Broad but jeez - at the expense of the one building that espoused some attempt at urban form is unfortunate when there is so much to improve upon in this corridor. . The façade is quirky and has some mid-century character  to it - i would love to know more about it's history. 1960's?  - in a time when  strip centers and suburban subdivisions were in full force one developer\architect decided to give the ol sidewalk retail  and office one last  try. So i always appreciated that early counter-vision for an otherwise auto-centric West Broad. I don't really know the history of this building but it would make good material for an Edwin Slipek commentary.

Edited by whw53
  • Like 3