The Creamery/Glenwood South Towers, 20 story office/32 story residential

nicholas

9 hours ago, nicholas said:

This project is looking more and more likely, with approved zoning and preliminary plans announced.  The original part of the Creamery building as well as the 1940ish expansion will remain.

creamery glenwood south 001.png

creamery glenwood south 002.png

glenwood south creamery 003.jpeg

glenwood south creamery 004.jpeg

The residential tower would go great on any block in downtown. I wish more of these planned towers were designed like this.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, po-boy said:

This looks like a great project. Good activation on the ground floor and it is great that they are keeping the Creamery Building.

My only complaint is how prominent the parking portion will be.

It would be ideal if developers plan more underground parking structures with these downtown developments. Expensive land is more suited to residential or commercial, rather than parking.

• Like 1

With all of this new residential and commercial space, including hotel rooms, being developed in and around Glenwood South, that area will become very dense in the coming years. It's exciting to think about what's in store for Raleigh's core. The Madison, the Creamery, Bloc83, and Smoky Hollow projects are turning this into one hell of an urban destination.

Edited by RALNATIVE
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DownEast said:

Don't look now but, Glenwood South is starting to develop a linear skyline not unlike Fayetteville St. With RUSBUS, Pendo,400H, and Nexus popping up in between, the skyline views from the east and west will look amazing in a few years. 

I believe that city leaders and developers have been taking note of where the gaps in the skyline exist from all vantage points, and are now finally aiming to properly build out that impressive skyline.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, dmccall said:

The above ground parking elevates the residential section above the train tracks. I would never want to live this close to the railroad, but at least some elevation gives a little more separation.

This was one of the 40-story projects that had been proposed; now down to 20 and 32.

I'll take 20 and 32. Having these buildings tower over Glenwood South will have a huge impact.

• Like 4

It was never going to be 40-stories. Raleigh only allows zoning in max story allowances. They wanted 32 -stories so they requested the 40-story zoning because that's the only zoning category that allows 32-stories. 

That being said, even though the residential tower still doesn't have a rendering it looks leagues better than Charlottte's 33-story Ellis residential tower. That thing is why Raleigh no longer approves extensive EIFS exteriors on projects like this one. 

Edited by carolina1792
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

New renderings were apparently released but I cannot find them. Construction should start this summer.

Plans for the 32-story residential tower call for 261 apartments, including a mix of 200 one-bedroom and 61 two-bedroom units. The other tower will feature 250,000 square feet of space across 20 stories and will include office uses. Both buildings will have ground-floor retail and stretch around the existing historic Creamery building.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, RALNATIVE said:

New renderings were apparently released but I cannot find them. Construction should start this summer.

Plans for the 32-story residential tower call for 261 apartments, including a mix of 200 one-bedroom and 61 two-bedroom units. The other tower will feature 250,000 square feet of space across 20 stories and will include office uses. Both buildings will have ground-floor retail and stretch around the existing historic Creamery building.

They were shown on the TBJ. Look nice. 

Not a huge huge fan of the designs of these buildings, but they will be very welcome in that district anyway for sure. Super stoked to see another high rise residential development- would really like to see some more of those but maybe without the "luxury" - just 20+ stories of normal but nice apartments. 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...