1010 Church Street (60 story/750', 500 unit residential tower, 7 story/60,000 sq. ft. YMCA addition), $350 million

markhollin

On 5/12/2022 at 3:43 PM, markhollin said:

^ ^ ^ Part of this discussion was around Tony's proposed Signature Tower  (1,000') that was the original plan for the 505 Church site. It was about to break ground when the 2008 financial collapse happened, and it was called-off.  But it would appear that Tony had gotten clearance from the FAA at that time for the thousand footer. It woulda been a beauty. 

Signature Tower, tall version, 2007 render 1.jpg

Signature Tower, tall version, 2007 render 4.jpg

Signature Tower, tall version, 2007 render 5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, henburg said:

Not only was it featured in the opening hype video, but I also remember there was an image of the tower wrapped on one of the tall columns inside of the bowl, showing the full design in all of its glory from top-to-bottom.

Yes; as I recall it was wrapped on the left column in the picture.

BA Bowl.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Plasticman said:

Yeah at the time it was cool.  But in hindsight I prefer thirty 350-600’ (and maybe a 750’) ’ towers like Nashville is getting that create a huge, balanced,  impressive skyline that reaches higher than the population  over one ridiculously tall stand-alone that only serves to highlight how unimpressive and vacant the rest of the skyline was at the time.    OKC is a good example of a city that built too tall for the overall appearance.  Signature would have been even worse.

I really tend to agree. Whenever I try to imagine an alternate timeline where Signature Tower was built at the originally-planned height,  I just have to imagine that our downtown would look super different and likely less dense than it does now. It would have been a beauty, but I don't know if many cities could have realistically supported that development during and even after the recession.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...

They’ve put up some signs in the Y that say they are going to start relocating some spaces soon. The older section has had several portable AC units in it the last few weeks…so I guess things are about to start. I’m kind of dreading it….its going to be a mess for a while. I’m sure it will be nice when it’s done. Has anyone seen any floor diagrams for the new layout?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Edgefield D said:

They’ve put up some signs in the Y that say they are going to start relocating some spaces soon. The older section has had several portable AC units in it the last few weeks…so I guess things are about to start. I’m kind of dreading it….its going to be a mess for a while. I’m sure it will be nice when it’s done. Has anyone seen any floor diagrams for the new layout?

4 hours ago, downtownresident said:

Not yet, but the permit for the renovations to facilitate the demolition of the old YMCA have been applied for, as well as the Final Site Plan for the tower, so we are getting closer to Tony being able to start. 

Will the rebuilding of the YMCA be done as a first phase and completed before the tower starts?  Will the indoor lap pool be one of the casualties of the demo? 

6 minutes ago, nashville born said:

Just as 1001's start seemed imminent,, the news broke about Amazon slowing things down so I'm waiting until I see dirt moving and pillars rising before I get excited about our proposed new tallest.

…and we seem to have the “CURSE “ of AT&T ! Seems like anytime it gets close to happening that a new tallest will be built ..something happens :tw_grimace:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, downtownresident said:

Tony has submitted the Final Site Plan to Metro for the YMCA and 1010 Church. More diagrams here: https://epermits.nashville.gov/download.aspx?id=783889

Looks like well have LED lighting accents on the south facing side of the building as well as on the crown. 

Thanks for posting this. This does answer a few of my questions. I didn’t realize the elevators were in the new section and wouldn’t be taken out. I wondered how that would work.