1010 Church Street (60 story/750', 500 unit residential tower, 7 story/60,000 sq. ft. YMCA addition), $350 million

markhollin

20 hours ago, TNMichigander said:

I gotta say: I love that he's putting such a large tower there, but...it's quite plain, and I wish that the design was something more engaging. This just looks like a bigger 505.

I'll take whatever we can get, though!

Yeah I feel the same. I’m glad to see this going up, but was hoping the top would have more of a slant to it. From this angle it doesn’t look like it. Perhaps it’ll look more pronounced on the north and south facing facade. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Baronakim said:

Apparently so does your blanket statement.   Why don't you finance and construct some you like then?

The quality of design (or lack thereof in Nashville's case) is a direct reflection of the city itself. It's time for Nashville developers to step up their game and be game changers.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, titanhog said:

I’m just thankful we have a few developers who are thinking outside the “box” at least a little.  One22One…Alcove…JWM…new Pinnacle and hopefully Amazon 3 all take the box to a new level.  They may not be iconic…but they’re at least more interesting than many others we’ve landed.

I agree, my favorite building in Nashville is the JWM, it's certainly not a box and it has a sleek modern appearance, at least in my opinion.  The old Pinnacle is actually better than a lot of the new buildings with the setbacks and angled top, it's like it tried to have a crown but kinda petered out, not bad though.  I'm really looking forward to 1010 Church and hoping it will look very impressive on our skyline. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, natethegreat said:

It’s not 1980, people aren’t building office towers with ‘crowns’

I'm not against the new buildings that are currently or will be under construction, they look cool and I like the designs. I wouldn't say crowns/spires are out of style either, but it'll be nice to have a little of a mixture.  Nonetheless, I still do like the designs, I'm just being an architecture snob :tw_lol:.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, natethegreat said:

Crowns are out of style because they’re wasted $

I think you really have something there, the iconic towers of past ( Empire State, Chrysler..etc) were the works of the elites of the day. They spared no cost to promote their wealth and status in the world. Today’s mighty and elite, are all Penny counters and self absorbed and could care less if they make a statement with architectural achievements. It’s a different world today then in the so called “hey days” of yesteryear. Baronakim, feel free to lend your perspective of this, I love to read your informative insights to the world of architecture. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, natethegreat said:

Crowns are out of style because they’re wasted $

I get what you're saying and it makes some sense.  I would just add that if builders scrimp too much they end up with a very bland product that doesn't hold its value.  Do you really want to see Nashville with a bunch of generic looking skyscrapers?  While it may be true that buildings like the Chrysler Building may have been built because of someone's ego as Luvemtall suggested it's also true that those kind of inspirational towers are what inspired me to become enthusiastic about skyscrapers in the first place!  And by the way I appreciate your thoughts and opinions on the forum! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MontanaGuy said:

I get what you're saying and it makes some sense.  I would just add that if builders scrimp too much they end up with a very bland product that doesn't hold its value.  Do you really want to see Nashville with a bunch of generic looking skyscrapers?  While it may be true that buildings like the Chrysler Building may have been built because of someone's ego as Luvemtall suggested it's also true that those kind of inspirational towers are what inspired me to become enthusiastic about skyscrapers in the first place!  And by the way I appreciate your thoughts and opinions on the forum! 

Yeah I’d love to see them, and I’m not trying to be antagonistic. I just don’t think we’ll see many new buildings with ‘crowns’ anywhere given that we’re not in the heyday of office building anymore. I still think many of Nashville's new buildings are very nice, even without them. 

• Like 2