1010 Church Street (60 story/750', 500 unit residential tower, 7 story/60,000 sq. ft. YMCA addition), $350 million

markhollin

14 minutes ago, henburg said:

This building is a great case to prove that you don't need an extravagant, ornamental crown to create a tall building with great distinction. Small setbacks and great cladding make this one a real stunner, I love it. While I really feel that the 1010 design is great, I do feel that the design lacks some of those elevated details that this one has. What if the jeweled facade were to protrude from the top even just a tiny bit? What if the crown tapered in slightly? 

I think that is a great idea! I think if you can make the crown portion be usable it can make the investment more palpable to a developer 

16 hours ago, henburg said:

This building is a great case to prove that you don't need an extravagant, ornamental crown to create a tall building with great distinction. Small setbacks and great cladding make this one a real stunner, I love it. While I really feel that the 1010 design is great, I do feel that the design lacks some of those elevated details that this one has. What if the jeweled facade were to protrude from the top even just a tiny bit? What if the crown tapered in slightly? 

Yeah, totally agree. As opposed to a box for 1010, at the top, taper it in or add a bit of ornamental elegance at the top--not too much, not tacky, but something to make it more interesting overall.

• Like 3

I guess it all depends on the situation, and the way it’s perceived. Take for instance our beloved “Batman” , without the spires it would be just another 28 story office building, square glass box. But the spires and slanted roof make it sorta iconic, show anyone its picture, and they know its Nashville. 

PillowTalk4, the last picture above is a beautiful building. Something like that would be perfect for the parking lot site at KVB and 2nd . 

• Like 1

The other thing to consider is that outside investors see Nashville as a cheap place to build with high ROI. Investors from Boston, NYC, global locations see a cash cow here in Nashville and they can do it without the extra "glam" of a crown to standout from a leasability standpoint. 

• Like 4

I am onboard with 1010 because of the height and, like TH said, I'm eager to see what it will look like in reality.  If I could get in Tony's ear, I'd ask him to add slanted parapet walls to reduce the appearance of another flat roof.  I just believe it shouldn't take a lot of investment in dollars or design to add prominence to a tower's top.  I'm nobody's architect, yet maybe arc some white pipes at intervals across the top from north to south and light them.   Something like that, even if not that exact idea, to add flair and visual interest.

• Like 1

Some people have stated they’re okay without crowns but would just want to see more unique design; which I’m at a loss. We have JW Marriott, Alcove, Prime, One22One, Albion, Paseo South, Circle South, 805 Lea, 1100 Porter, with a tall skinny maybe proposed, maybe Buckingham comes back one day and many more down the pipeline. This all just makes me believe some people are impossible to please, no offense meant of course by that statement. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, JustN82 said:

Some people have stated they’re okay without crowns but would just want to see more unique design; which I’m at a loss. We have JW Marriott, Alcove, Prime, One22One, Albion, Paseo South, Circle South, 805 Lea, 1100 Porter, with a tall skinny maybe proposed, maybe Buckingham comes back one day and many more down the pipeline. This all just makes me believe some people are impossible to please, no offense meant of course by that statement. 

I'm not speaking for others.  For me, it's not that we don't have some cool designs.  I'm specifically talking about how do we get away from the flat rooftops.  With regard to skylines, often it's a building's very top that helps it stand out.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Something that would help A LOT at night is more lighting on our buildings. Even simple outlines of rooftops, even FLAT rooftops, would be impactful. Nearly all of Houston’s big boys are outlined with lights, which often coordinate the colors for particular occasions. Really spices up a skyline that is impressive, if not super exciting. As the “Big Guy” is famous for saying…LET THERE BE LIGHT.

:tw_glasses:

Yes!!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JustN82 said:

I think you're missing that the conversation is about how "some" buildings are topped out.  I don't think any of the buildings you mentioned would call for a crown.  And, you're right they are unique designs that stand on their own.  Creative lighting would enhance those buildings at night.   But, 505 for instance would have been nicer if it had been finished in a way that wasn't just flat.  Clearly not every building in Nashville will or should have a unique top.  Most of us are hoping that there will be a few standouts just to break up the monotony of the flat appearance.   Atlanta's and Charlotte's skylines are enhanced by the way some of their buildings are finished at the top.  It gives their skylines flare.

People on this site probably know what city is in the picture below.  Most people probably would not because there is nothing to distinguish it minus the mountain range and while it is a world destination, it's not typically on the tip of most peoples tongue when deciding on a vacation destination.  I've had people tell me it's a city in China or Japan.  Some have said Rio or a South American City.  Most simply did not know.

Living in Vancouver, British Columbia - Prepare for Canada

Where as, I know people who have never been to the city pictured below, but they know it simply because of some of the buildings.  Especially those with unique tops.

San Diego travel guide: Do's and don'ts

Edited by PillowTalk4
  • Like 3

I for one absolutely hate the thin tube lighting such as the lighting on the Grand Hyatt and the 900 Church tower going up. Looks like a 24 hour liquor store window. But that just my lowly opinion and I can understand and respect why others like it.  And I love a good building lighting scheme in general. The challenge now is creatively light buildings under the new dark sky ordinance. Uplighting, the standard go-to of building lighting, is much more difficult to achieve when you have to worry about light pollution.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Archibum said:

Uplighting, the standard go-to of building lighting, is much more difficult to achieve when you have to worry about light pollution.

Yep, there’s another topic that just makes no sense to me. Cities are expected to be bright, exciting and lively!! This light pollution B.S is nonsense. If the bright lights of the city bother anyone, then they need to not be in the city. That’s what places like Wyoming are for, the reclusive.

1 hour ago, PillowTalk4 said:

I think you're missing that the conversation is about how "some" buildings are topped out.  I don't think any of the buildings you mentioned would call for a crown.  And, you're right they are unique designs that stand on their own.  Creative lighting would enhance those buildings at night.   But, 505 for instance would have been nicer if it had been finished in a way that wasn't just flat.  Clearly not every building in Nashville will or should have a unique top.  Most of us are hoping that there will be a few standouts just to break up the monotony of the flat appearance.   Atlanta's and Charlotte's skylines are enhanced by the way some of their buildings are finished at the top.  It gives their skylines flare.

People on this site probably know what city is in the picture below.  Most people probably would not because there is nothing to distinguish it minus the mountain range and while it is a world destination, it's not typically on the tip of most peoples tongue when deciding on a vacation destination.  I've had people tell me it's a city in China or Japan.  Some have said Rio or a South American City.  Most simply did not know.

Living in Vancouver, British Columbia - Prepare for Canada

Where as, I know people who have never been to the city pictured below, but they know it simply because of some of the buildings.  Especially those with unique tops.

San Diego travel guide: Do's and don'ts

I'm guessing the top is Vancouver and I have no idea about the bottom one. Phoenix? (Just kidding)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1