1010 Church Street (60 story/750', 500 unit residential tower, 7 story/60,000 sq. ft. YMCA addition), $350 million

markhollin

20 hours ago, nashville born said:

Saw a population list for 2023.  Didn't realize Nashville has risen to number 20 in the country by population.   It got me to thinking about other relevant, trivial facts, including where we rank in terms of tallest height (as measured by a city's tallest).  According to my list, Nashville sits at 33.  The Y tower will move us up a good number of spots to 19 (dependent on what other cities' new tallest projects top out, of course). 

Here's what I was able to cull together from multiple outlets, sources, and such.  This was compiled in a non-scientific manner so please accept it as such.  Just having fun with where we currently sit and where this project will put us.

Tallest U.S. Cities (by tallest building - not including under construction) 

1. New York City 1,776'

2.  Chicago 1,450'

3. Philadelphia 1,121'

4. Los Angeles 1,100'

5. San Francisco 1,070

6. Atlanta 1,023

7. Houston 1,002

8. Cleveland 947'

9. Seattle 937'

10. Dallas 922'

11. Jersey City 900'

12. Charlotte 871'

13. Miami 868'

14. Oklahoma City 844'

15. Pittsburgh 841'

16. Indianapolis 811'

17. Minneapolis 792'

18. Boston 790'

19. Mobile 745'

20. Las Vegas 735'

21. Detroit 727'

22. Denver 714'

23. Atlantic City 710'

24. New Orleans 697'

25. Austin 690'

26. Tulsa 667'

27. Cincinnati 665'

28. Omaha 634'

29. Des Moines 630'

30. Columbus 624'

31. Kansas City 623'

32. Jacksonville 620'

33. Nashville 617'

34. Milwaukee 601'

35. St. Louis 593'

36. Albany 589'

37. Tampa 579'

38. Fort Worth 567'

40. Louisville 549'

41. Portland 546'

41. Little Rock 546'

41. San Antonio 546'

44. Raleigh 538'

45. Hartford 535'

46. Baltimore 529'

47. Buffalo 529'

48. Virginia Beach 508'

49. San Diego 500'

50. Fort Lauderdale 499'

51. Phoenix 483'

52. Tysons, VA (DC) 470'

Off the top of my head, I think Nashville, Austin, Raleigh, Tampa, & maybe Denver will move on this list. I do not remember for sure.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Off the top of my head, I think Nashville, Austin, Raleigh, Tampa, & maybe Denver will move on this list. I do not remember for sure.

Austin and Miami for sure are two that will move up as both have two towers underway that will eclipse their current tallest.  And, with the taller of the two projects in each city,  the 1,000' mark will be eclipsed.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 2:16 PM, Luvemtall said:

100 feet in Miami should make people nervous, 1000 feet.. stupidity.

Despite all the concerns about hurricanes Miami is one of the fastest growing cities in the country. I have lived in both Nashville and Miami before, the pace of Miami’s growth is insane and a bit overwhelming

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Binbin98 said:

Despite all the concerns about hurricanes Miami is one of the fastest growing cities in the country. I have lived in both Nashville and Miami before, the pace of Miami’s growth is insane and a bit overwhelming

I wonder about the rock  layers and whether the buildings are setting on solid ground so to speak.   I would imagine the engineers figured all that out but I do wonder.

Edited by Plasticman
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Binbin98 said:

Actually, that’s my point. Everyone just sees the surface of the situation, the coolness of the Miami vibe. The insane growth , you mentioned is going to be it’s nightmare. I know that many will mock me , say I’m a bit foolish and just blow over my post. But that’s ok, because I understand that most people live for today, don’t worry about tomorrow , grab life by the horns and take what they can get. It’s not just hurricanes that will be Miami’s worries, South Florida is not a stable firm base on which to build. Just up the road a good example exists, near Port St Lucie back in the 1980’s they sold 100’s of acres for what was to become the paradise of retirement, not thinking about the aquafir that runs underneath all of South Florida. So they started the infrastructure, and quickly found out the land wasn’t stable to hold the weight , luckily they realized this before any homes were built. I know this because my parents were among those that Purchased a lot there.same holds true for most of the state except the northern most regions. I’m not picking on Miami in general, the overbuilding of Florida spreads far and wide . As I mentioned before, I lived there for 19 years. Spent a lot of time studying the history and geography of the state, and that was a major factor in our decision to move to Tennessee. I still have family that lives in Florida, and I keep trying to convince them to move, but to no avail. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Several questions imbedded here...

This is going to be a question that may elicit a "duh!" from some here; and I understand that reaction. Have to ask howerver if I read correctly way back when this plan was announced that the YMCA planned to keep the new portion open while this is under construction. IIRC, the part they just demo'd here contained the locker rooms I think I used when I worked out there years ago. 

Did I misunderstand the YMCA's plan to operate while this is being built? If a piece is still open, where are the lockers?  Would a building that much demolished even be allowed to be occupied?  If the YMCA is completely closed, where's the closest location to downtown? Does Giarratana have full financing lined up for the new tower?  

• Like 3