1010 Church Street (60 story/750', 500 unit residential tower, 7 story/60,000 sq. ft. YMCA addition), $350 million

markhollin

@Luvemtallalluded correctly to the FAA height map is a guideline. Similar to how ADA is federal law, but not a building code. The FAA can look at projects on an individual basis and give their opinion, but the biggest factor is insuring the building. Similar to how banks and finance corporations don't like to finance buildings without parking or they say "the market" demands a shit ton more parking than the zoning laws do, the insurance companies are reliant on a number of variables such as the FAA for insuring a finished high rise. If the FAA says no, than plain and simple the insurance companies wont insure the building. If the FAA says yes, that is hurdle that has been cleared, but the insurance may still say no.

Every city is unique and some such as New York may benefit from the orientation of the runways of all the surrounding buildings. Boston on the otherhand is hurt by the orientation of their runway as that is why the Seaport neighborhood looks like a flat top haircut with all the buildings at the same height. 

Many, many, many, many, many variables go into these tall projects. I genuinely believe I wont be around to see Nashville coming close to 1,000'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know that this question about the FAA and height restrictions has been addressed over and over again but there's one question that Luvemtall has brought up that hasn't been clearly answered.  Is it true that the Signature Tower had been approved and was scheduled to begin construction with a height that was over 750 feet?  And if it was approved then could someone explain how that could happen and how the issue of insurance was dealt with?  I clearly remember that the original design was over 1,000 feet but all of the news reports from those days made it sound like it was definitely going to happen and that it would have happened if the economy hadn't been hit with a major downturn.  I've never heard a clear explanation of those events and I've wondered about it for years.  Thanks!   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MontanaGuy said:

I know that this question about the FAA and height restrictions has been addressed over and over again but there's one question that Luvemtall has brought up that hasn't been clearly answered.  Is it true that the Signature Tower had been approved and was scheduled to begin construction with a height that was over 750 feet?  And if it was approved then could someone explain how that could happen and how the issue of insurance was dealt with?  I clearly remember that the original design was over 1,000 feet but all of the news reports from those days made it sound like it was definitely going to happen and that it would have happened if the economy hadn't been hit with a major downturn.  I've never heard a clear explanation of those events and I've wondered about it for years.  Thanks!   

I was just wondering the same thing after reading the other posts!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, downtownresident said:

Shell permit applications for the tower and YMCA were applied for. 

Tower permit: https://epermits.nashville.gov/#/permit/4113819

YMCA: https://epermits.nashville.gov/#/permit/4113828

Hoping we see some movement on this one before the original start date of 2023! 

Pardon my ignorance but I thought there would be other permits applied for before a shell permit. Is a shell permit usually applied for before a demolition or infrastructure permits?

• Like 2