Modera SoBro, 825 6th Ave. South, 3.9 acres (Phase I: 8 stories, 404 units; Phase II: 11 stories, 309 units)

markhollin

7 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

So, if I'm interpreting the DTC correctly, this building more than likely will not exceed 17 stories?  They can start at 8 stories and get a bonus height of 9 stories provided all criteria is met except historic building preservation?

If that's the case, the DTC needs to be revamped ASAP.  There's just no reason for the maximum height in that area to be restricted to 8 stories.

You can see the DTC Bonus Height chart here... Metro Nashville DTC - Bonus Height Chart go to page 99.

The max height via the Bonus Height Program is 19 stories if all criteria is met (which I don't think is realistic). The developer can also file for an Overall Height Modification (look on page 14 of the DTC document) which would be utilized after going through the proper steps of Bonus Height. I foresee this structure approaching the Albion site height of 20 stories possibly more due to the overall elevation of the site is lower than Albion. The city is looking to create a continuious "street wall" along the interstate with all the structures going up along Division. Depending on how much the developer is realistically looking to go up, they may only have the funding/pockets/where-with-all to go in the 12-17 range (ala Haven but hopefully better designed/executed), or they may come in swinging for the fences and propose 30 like I mentioned above. Speculation will breed speculation until something actually is submitted.

That being said, while I foresee an update coming to the DTC, I think it will be a bit more incremental than I'm sure some folks are wanting.

• Like 4

Limit to 19 floors (at the most)... absent an update to the DTC, then that should indicate that this will be a multiple (2-4) tower development based on that huge number of apartments.  I assumed that's been speculation so far, but quite possibly more than the 2 towers imagined.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

It would give the sense of consistency and somewhat fairness amongst developers. Like why would the first person in who saw the value of a location be shortchanged into having the shortest building there? One could make the argument about the "market" dictating demand, but in reality every developer is going to have their own proforma that could indicate demand and ROI, so it comes down to Planning (and their trained professionals) to work out how the city should be developed.

Additionally it gives the city a great recourse in how to transition the neighborhoods moving forwards. There is always  talk about Rutledge Hill and how it needs to have scale and be preserved, but as we move on and densify all the way out to the highway, stepping down away from the true CBD, we have a precedence on how to work our way down. Working toward the southern edge of the inner loop i dont really see our skyline transcending very far. I think many of us agree that really that stretching will occur going down Broadway/Church and West End Ave.

On 10/26/2021 at 12:06 PM, smeagolsfree said:

Again, if you look at the DTC for Rutledge Hill and the Lafayette sub district and what they are doing with the Rutledge Hull Mixed Use project and the 2nd & Peabody projects, all bets are off. They asked for a DTC modification which changes the DTC for that particular parcel.

The same could be done here. If you look at the Cumulus site the tallest under the DTC allowed was only 11 stories, so in effect this could be the model used for almost any parcel in SoBro now.

Makes sense. We really are fortunate to have so many investors with deep pockets willing to invest in quality architecture (2nd and Peabody for example). Hopefully we get more projects like this in the area.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • markhollin changed the title to Modera SoBro, 825 6th Ave. South, 3.9 acres (Phase I: 6 & 7 stories, 404 units; Phase II: 11 stories, 309 units)
On 3/7/2022 at 10:09 AM, Luvemtall said:

Well then although it’s a solid proposal , it’s definitely not as speculated. Was kinda hoping for two towers of at least 15-18 stories. Not complaining, just not expected.

Similar reaction over here.  I think my mind was already set up for disappointment because I kept thinking all the way back to the Smithfield  proposal.  Might have that name wrong.  It was the one with the three tall buildings.  As outlandish as it might have been (zoning-wise), it set a bar in my brain and this reality just falls woefully short of that bar.  :(

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

I hear you my friend, I keep holding out hope for Nashville to take that leap to the next level. Some might argue that we are very fortunate to have the tremendous amount of growth that is happening here, I really understand that and I’m thankful every day. But I guess because I’m a relatively recent transplant ( 2006) and having been born and living for 28 years in Connecticut, with NYC as my stomping ground, then 19 years in Florida driving every day between Tampa and Miami as my occupation. It’s a little different then being a native and experiencing it from that perspective. Ive seen some great buildings and been to many of Nashville’s peer city’s (Austin, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, etc) to me it seems they all have made that leap, and realize that it’s ok to go big! , it’s not necessary to try to keep that “small town feel” ,no excuses , no holds bar, Nashville is a CITY. And as such , the inner core circle should not build anything that is less then 20 stories. These developments that are less then that are fine and great for places like East Nashville, Charlotte Pike, WestEnd ,Green Hills ..etc. but IMHO Metro Planning and Zoning should push for vertical construction over that 20 story threshold for anything inside the boundaries of the inner circle. 

Pass the collection plate!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

I hear you my friend, I keep holding out hope for Nashville to take that leap to the next level. Some might argue that we are very fortunate to have the tremendous amount of growth that is happening here, I really understand that and I’m thankful every day. But I guess because I’m a relatively recent transplant ( 2006) and having been born and living for 28 years in Connecticut, with NYC as my stomping ground, then 19 years in Florida driving every day between Tampa and Miami as my occupation. It’s a little different then being a native and experiencing it from that perspective. Ive seen some great buildings and been to many of Nashville’s peer city’s (Austin, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, etc) to me it seems they all have made that leap, and realize that it’s ok to go big! , it’s not necessary to try to keep that “small town feel” ,no excuses , no holds bar, Nashville is a CITY. And as such , the inner core circle should not build anything that is less then 20 stories. These developments that are less then that are fine and great for places like East Nashville, Charlotte Pike, WestEnd ,Green Hills ..etc. but IMHO Metro Planning and Zoning should push for vertical construction over that 20 story threshold for anything inside the boundaries of the inner circle. 

I agree completely about their motivations, but the silly thing to me is that there really is nothing 'small town' about the massive apartment blocks that projects like this get turned into either.  You'd never see something like the new iteration of Modera in some idyllic small town.  They're very much 'big town' style developments, they're just a worse version of one.  So I don't really understand what sort of 'feel' these developers think they're preserving or mimicking with them, as if  walking by Haven in the Gooch is supposed to evoke the sensation of being in some little Swiss village in The Alps or something.  I suppose that, like you, it's possible that I just have a skewed perspective having now lived more of my life in the Chicago area than in Nashville, but I honestly just don't get it.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good points @BnaBreaker, your right that developments such as this , are “ big town” in nature. And I probably do have a bit of a skewed perspective, but I feel like I mentioned that these type of larger low rise buildings are better outside of the inner core. For instance, some cities have a more compact downtown area but all their tall buildings are densely built into that central core, so it looks impressive. On the other hand Nashville has tons of space to spread out, so if they build 20 stories and above , but have a bunch of low rise such as this Modera project in between , it seems like it’s not as impressive. Which we all know Nashville does have some taller buildings, but I guess my point is the inner core should be reserved for the taller above 20 story buildings to get that density perspective. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 11:47 AM, Luvemtall said:

the inner core circle should not build anything that is less then 20 stories. 

Yeah the land there should stay unoccupied indefinitely until developer sign contracts with metro that requires they build no less than 20 stories. Love this kind of rationality. Makes sense.

Edited by Licec
  • Haha 1