Orlando History

spenser1058

9 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Orlando City Hall is 30 years old this year. Let’s join Mel Gibson and Danny Glover as they “make way” for its appearance on S. Orange Ave:

https://youtu.be/-wINinKkMdg

I think they should have left the Coke sign up -it gives it some Times Square panache!

Btw, as our “heroes” are peeking up to see what happened afterward, among the cops clapping and saying “Bravo!” is our very own Mayor Bill.

@HankStrongwill also be happy to note that behind them in that scene is the lovely brise soleil!

The doomed previous city hall was built in 1957…

I remember that night...we were watching the late news and I guess filming was running late because Danny Treanor pointed out on the weather radar screen how there were no buildings being blown up downtown at that moment. I miss Danny.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, angela1117 said:

I remember that night...we were watching the late news and I guess filming was running late because Danny Treanor pointed out on the weather radar screen how there were no buildings being blown up downtown at that moment. I miss Danny.

Danny rocked! Speaking of Mayor Bill in the movie, we long wondered if Bulldozer Buddy decided to take out a historic block of Church St. because he was jealous that Bill got to be in a movie and he didn’t (that always made Billy Manes howl wit laughter)…

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

This week, Joy Wallace Dickinson at the Sentinel writes about Winter Park’s Rollins College, which has been going strong since 1885:

1880s frontier dream came true at Rollins College
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/os-fe-joy-wallace-dickinson-0821-20220821-euhdbsi7zfaxppacvh44xzseni-story.html

On 8/20/2022 at 2:22 PM, spenser1058 said:

Btw, as our “heroes” are peeking up to see what happened afterward, among the cops clapping and saying “Bravo!” is our very own Mayor Bill.

Instead of doing his job, as usual. 

15 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Speaking of Mayor Bill in the movie, we long wondered if Bulldozer Buddy decided to take out a historic block of Church St. because he was jealous that Bill got to be in a movie and he didn’t (that always made Billy Manes howl wit laughter)…

Nobody in their right mind ever wondered anything of the sort. 

On 8/20/2022 at 2:22 PM, spenser1058 said:

Orlando City Hall is 30 years old this year. Let’s join Mel Gibson and Danny Glover as they “make way” for its appearance on S. Orange Ave:

https://youtu.be/-wINinKkMdg

I think they should have left the Coke sign up -it gives it some Times Square panache!

@HankStrongwill also be happy to note that behind them in that scene is the lovely brise soleil!

The doomed previous city hall was built in 1957…

They should've nuked that thing into oblivion.

• Haha 1

I made the trek to the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History (NMAAH) in DC, where there is reference to none other than Eatonville’s rightful place in American history. (Forgive the poor image quality)

The NMAAH is designed by Dave Adjaye, who is the architect behind the new Winter Park Library (and it shares many characteristics). Hardly a coincidence that the location of WP’s new library is, as Eatonville native Zora Neal Hearston said, “over the creek.”

A75E7C39-91E0-4DB1-9DC8-18BBC83EA911.jpeg

64833B60-E314-4BDC-BD39-451FAFFEF768.jpeg

94AB1E2B-BA8B-4594-93F7-68A3149C5357.jpeg

FD6271DD-121A-49F7-9A74-4BD4FFB61F04.jpeg

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 4

Just a clarification- Eatonville is served by OCLS rather than the WPPL. As it happens, the Eatonville Branch Library (I haven’t been, but it seems to be a nice facility) is right on Kennedy in Eatonville:

https://ocls.info/locations-hours/eatonville-branch

Someday the wackadoodles in WP will get over themselves and join the far superior OCLS (WP’s good looking new building not withstanding). It’s one reason I was never interested in living in WP (although you can pay for an OCLS card in the city). 

Edited by spenser1058

1 minute ago, spenser1058 said:

Just a clarification- Eatonville is served by OCLS rather than the WPPL. As it happens, the Eatonville Branch Library (I haven’t been, but it seems to be a nice facility) is right on Kennedy in Eatonville:

https://ocls.info/locations-hours/eatonville-branch

Someday the wackadoodles in WP will get over themselves and join the far superior OCLS (WP’s good looking new building not withstanding). It’s one reason I was never interested in living in WP (although you can pay for an OCLS card in the city). 

I was referencing Hurston’s “Dust Tracks on a Road” with that comment. Her position on WP and what is now Maitland are discussed.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

I was referencing Hurston’s “Dust Tracks on a Road” with that comment. Her position on WP and what is now Maitland are discussed.

Thanks. Although it earned Eatonville a place in history, the reasons for it happening were somewhat less than pure. I guess Eatonville gets the last laugh, though, so good on them.

College Park’s Stuart family - the Orlando version of the Kennedys:

http://orlandomemory.info/topics/college-park-oral-history-night-with-the-stuart-family/

From Orlando Memory

Let’s all sing the George Stuart Office Supply jingle:

”Check with George Stuart without delay;

”Let George do it for you today.”

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is not exactly Orlando history, but it's pretty close.

I didn't know much about this and had all but forgotten what little I'd heard about it eons ago....

Screenshot-20220904-201340-2.jpg

Below: The remains of what was to be a support for a never completed bridge over the canal....

Screenshot-20220904-201026-2.jpg

Not sure what this is, but it looks like a section of a lock, possibly.....

Screenshot-20220904-200944-2.jpg

In this Google Maps satellite image, you can still where the 28% of the completed  construction was being done, just south of Ocala....

Screenshot-20220904-202854-2.jpg

Pretty interesting.

Thank God they stopped it.

No telling what kind of damage they would have done.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JFW657 said:

This is not exactly Orlando history, but it's pretty close.

I didn't know much about this and had all but forgotten what little I'd heard about it eons ago....

In this Google Maps satellite image, you can still where the 28% of the completed  construction was being done, just south of Ocala....

Pretty interesting.

Thank God they stopped it.

No telling what kind of damage they would have done.

Fascinating, thanks for sharing. In some alternate reality where this actually happened, it is easy to imagine Jacksonville (and even Tampa) trading places with Miami as Florida's principal city

• Like 1

It’s been fun over the years to listen to folks inventing the history of the various abandoned parts of the C-FBC, especially as nature reclaims the bits and bobs of the colossal folly.

My favorite are those who decide they’re old Spanish or CSA redoubts, when in fact most of it goes back only to the 1960’s like @HankStrong’s mod bell bottoms <g>.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, codypet said:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!!?  I've been trying to solve this mystery over by the Santos Mountain bike trails for over a decade and that what that is?!?!?!!?   A half constructed bridge?  Holy crap!

lol, there's a few I've been in a similar situation. I saw a punch of large concrete pillars somewhere else that made no sense as well, and after it bothering me for several years, I finally found that FDOT at a previous point in its history was testing how deep they needed to go into the bedrock to stabilize them to know what to require for future bridges

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

So did they make the change when they shifted Orange Ave to cross Lake Lucerne? Also, Kuhl Ave still exist about 500 feet to the west

From a couple of Sentinel articles, one about ORMC:

Because of its high elevation, a site on Kuhl Avenue, which is now a block west of Orange Avenue, was chosen as the site for the five-story hospital.

And one about SODO:

....before 1960, Kuhl Avenue was the name for what's now South Orange Avenue before the causeway was built over Lake Lucerne

So apparently, the name change occurred in 1960 and coincided with the causeway construction.