Orlando History

spenser1058

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Here's one for @spenser1058 our resident Publix devotee....

Screenshot-20220124-084731.jpg

Too bad there's no Publix logo to be seen anywhere. 

Thanks for this - it’s awesome! Publix really didn’t get “official” signage and logos until the very ‘70’s “p” and congruent type. Prior to that, branding was all over the place. For the most part, you recognized Publix more by the deco and then “wing” buildings than anything else.

It’s interesting to note the store was on S. Kuhl (was there ever a N. Kuhl). Apparently, the store came along before the causeway across Lake Lucerne made Orange Ave. the main drag on that end of town and Kuhl was still a primary arterial.

Edited by spenser1058

40 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

It’s interesting to note the store was on S. Kuhl (was there ever a N. Kuhl). Apparently, the store came along before the causeway across Lake Lucerne made Orange Ave. the main drag on that end of town and Kuhl was still a primary arterial.

That explains it.  I was wondering why the store was a block west from where I thought it should be.

• Like 1

I moved over here less than a year and a half after this happened, lived here ever since and I just heard about this for the first time a few minutes ago.

In December 1979, a Beechcraft light aircraft took off from Herndon Airport and crashed in Lake Eola resulting in the fatalities of all four people on board.

Screenshot-20220201-203605.jpg

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=4169

Helicopter lifting wreckage of light airplane from Lake Eola December 22, 1979. 

19791222-BE18-N198-B-5702.jpg

Can't believe I never heard of this. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I can’t really tell on an iPhone - the bottom photo says “Lee-Webster” interchange. Of course, as built, I4 is nowhere near Webster.

Are these pics of the road before WP sued to move it west?

Great find!

They are conceptual renderings. 

The interchange in that one appears to be where the Winter Park Mall was, now Winter Park Village. 

9 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

They are conceptual renderings. 

The interchange in that one appears to be where the Winter Park Mall was, now Winter Park Village. 

Thanks. That’s the route WP sued over. What burnt the bacon is that it would have paved over an almost new state office building at Denning and (I think) Morse (it may have been Canton).

The folks who built Winter Park Mall apparently wasted little time- it opened in 1964.

Edited by spenser1058

16 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Thanks. That’s the route WP sued over. What burnt the bacon is that it would have paved over an almost new state office building at Denning and (I think) Morse (it may have been Canton).

The folks who built Winter Park Mall apparently wasted little time- it opened in 1964.

Also interesting is that the interchange as proposed was a lot more complex than what Lee Rd. ended up with. Instead of a partial cloverleaf, it was the most basic diamond design that didn’t take long to exceed capacity.

1 hour ago, codypet said:

I was thinking it was the Kmart plaza just to the west of the mall.

Yeah, I think that's correct.

I didn't see the label for Orlando Ave. and figured it was Denning.

They must have been envisioning I-4 a good bit further east, probably spanning part of Lake Killarney.

I was thinking that must be 17-92, aka N. Orlando Ave. 

So, the subject of the Vogue theater came up in the DTO Project Discussion thread.

Was looking at the few  old pictures of it that still exist....

large.jpg

The one I've seen most often ^^^.

large-1.jpg

Can you imagine stopping a car and standing in the road at Mills and Colonial nowadays??? At night no less!!!! 

large-2.jpg

Some time back, I was under the impression that it was on the opposite (SW) corner. It's still difficult to ascertain just by looking at pictures like this, as they look like they could've been taken from either direction. 

large-3.jpg

By the time it was torn down in the early 70's, all the cool architectural features like the large turret and grand marquee had long ago been removed and it was just another featureless, pedestrian looking building. 

Another interesting tidbit I was not aware of was the theater being named as the defendant in a 1964 civil rights class action discrimination lawsuit...

Twitty v. Vogue Theater Corporation:

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp/242/281/1429059/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Has this been posted before? If so, my apologies for the repeat.

1884 map of the Orlando Business District. You should be able to open it in an expanded view. I notice a cemetery in the area of Rosalind between Pine and Church... is that right? Also, notice Kulh "KKK" Candy on Church.

1884%20business%20district%20map_0.jpg

• Like 2

The first wave of the KKK was immediately after the Civil War and died out by 1872.

The second wave didn’t come along until 1915, a reaction to D.W. Griffith’s epic film, “The Birth of a Nation”. That wave was much more widespread and powerful in its evildoing.

While it’s certainly possible the store owner knew of the Klan’s first wave after the war, it’s also possible it just has to do with the last name which seems to end in “K”. I guess we’ll never know but it’s indeed intriguing.