Orlando History

spenser1058

When Orlando had architects and architecture to be proud of, not just to hold up the ubiquitous visors:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/os-fe-joy-wallace-dickinson-0424-20220424-mxwix5upbjdahjtjqwpibubxsu-story.html

From The Sentinel 

More of the Wright influence that dots Central Florida from Florida Southern in Lakeland to OPL in downtown Orlando. What will it take to ever attract quality architecture again?

On 4/24/2022 at 10:06 AM, spenser1058 said:

When Orlando had architects and architecture to be proud of, not just to hold up the ubiquitous visors:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/os-fe-joy-wallace-dickinson-0424-20220424-mxwix5upbjdahjtjqwpibubxsu-story.html

From The Sentinel 

More of the Wright influence that dots Central Florida from Florida Southern in Lakeland to OPL in downtown Orlando. What will it take to ever attract quality architecture again?

Can't see it. 

On 4/25/2022 at 5:27 PM, RedStar25 said:

Can't see it. 

On 4/27/2022 at 3:07 PM, HankStrong said:

I don't even bother clicking OS links.  Garbage.

I stopped too, but not because I dislike their reporting.

I don't click on them because of the paywall.

Afaic, when someone posts links to articles they know are behind a paywall but won't take a minute to copy/paste a few sentences that explain the gist of the article along with any photo that might be included, it must not have been important enough to bother with.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Afaic, when someone posts links to articles they know are behind a paywall but won't take a minute to copy/paste a few sentences that explain the gist of the article along with any photo that might be included, it must not have been important enough to bother with.  

Agreed.  Give me a blurb or it's just a wasted post.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Nothing in life is free, including apparently, a way around a paywall.

Not to mention the Sentinel, as far from “The Best Newspaper In Florida” as the internet has driven it, is still the local news source making the attempt to keep our local and state governments honest. If not for them, God help us.

Sadly, too many of us insist The Man under The Dome is Practically Perfect In Every Way and yell “Attaboy” at the folks in Tallahassee doing their darndest to turn the state into Mississippi, but for those who know we can do better, I’m pleased to make my small contribution to citizenship. The thing is, there are deals for as little as $1/month. A quick call whenever the promotional offers ends usually can lead to an extension. As for me, $15/month is a small price to pay for folks like Scott Maxwell to shine the light on the nonsense some of our leaders try to foist on an unknowing population.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

On 4/28/2022 at 4:26 PM, JFW657 said:

I do always try to post a synopsis of the article I'm posting, but There is usually more within the article that I may not view as important while others may. I also seldom do pictures. Partially out of copyright respect, but also, I figure if you're interested then you can go find the photo.

I'm not intending to be too much of a jerk about this, but this is, for the most part, a forum about developments in the Orlando area. If you do not subscribe/ elude/ view/ the Sentinel, OBJ or GS, then how do you follow these projects? I agree with @spenser1058 that supporting our local news is worthwhile, but at the very least, if you want to follow what is going on, take @prahabohemeadvice and use one of the many ways around most firewalls. If you're not willing to put forth that effort, why should posters put forth the effort to write a synopsis for you...

3 hours ago, AmIReal said:

I do always try to post a synopsis of the article I'm posting, but There is usually more within the article that I may not view as important while others may. I also seldom do pictures. Partially out of copyright respect, but also, I figure if you're interested then you can go find the photo.

I'm not intending to be too much of a jerk about this, but this is, for the most part, a forum about developments in the Orlando area. If you do not subscribe/ elude/ view/ the Sentinel, OBJ or GS, then how do you follow these projects? I agree with @spenser1058 that supporting our local news is worthwhile, but at the very least, if you want to follow what is going on, take @prahabohemeadvice and use one of the many ways around most firewalls. If you're not willing to put forth that effort, why should posters put forth the effort to write a synopsis for you...

Well, the answer to that seems pretty obvious. 

Forum posters must want their posts to be seen, otherwise they wouldn't post them to begin with. So it's on them to facilitate that without expecting others to purchase subscriptions or change settings on their computer. If it's not my post, and I'm not the one putting it out there for others to view, I'm under no obligation. 

As for working around the paywall, isn't that tantamount to theft? Plus, it's a PITA.  

The long and the short of it is that we all post our juicy little tidbits of news regarding local projects, for the entertainment and enlightenment of the rest of the group. Politeness and consideration alone dictate that the poster take a modicum of effort to make whatever information they're posting, as easy to view as possible.

It's not difficult or time consuming and to me, it's kinda fun.

Expecting everyone else to spend money, time and effort just to view  one's posts, is like inviting your friends over for dinner then telling them they have to buy the food, cook it, serve it and clean up afterward. 

Whatever.

No big deal.

I can just continue to not view them. 

On 4/30/2022 at 12:59 AM, JFW657 said:

Forum posters must want their posts to be seen, otherwise they wouldn't post them to begin with.

I suppose that's true, I've just never given that view much thought. I'm not sure how to measure who reads my posts.

But I agree with the original idea that it is best for a poster to briefly summarize an article so the reader can decide if they even care to click.

I also still think participation in this forum means you have some interest in what is going on and therefore requires some effort and or costs to do so.

• Like 1

Joy Wallace Dickinson at The Sentinel remembers her mom this Mother’s Day and her role at Colonial Plaza’s Jordan Marsh, among other jobs.

We were an Ivey’s family (Yankees shopped at Jordan Marsh), but if ever a retail building should have been spared the backhoe, that was it:

Ms. Dickinson

“These days, much of my shopping involves staring slack-jawed at a computer screen and clicking items into an imaginary “shopping cart.” Boxes arrive on my porch, bearing the fruits of my retail ramblings. This, definitely, was not the retail experience that my mother, Jean Dickinson, lived and breathed — one that comes back to me on especially vividly on Mother’s Day. Beginning in the mid-1960s, my mother worked for about 20 years in what was then called “personnel” for Jordan Marsh, a vanished group of department stores.”

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/central-florida-history/os-fe-joy-wallace-dickinson-0508-20220508-zbiindqoovhmhnkymg7bzy4qtq-story.html

Edited by spenser1058

That's Church St.  Station in that photo and the Downtowner was on the corner of Orange, but why can't I picture what that EW and NS intersection is there?  I feel like that's some roadway intersection under the current BOA building or something.  As if that road continued north to where the Old Suntrust building is today.  Is that Boone?  Did it go all the way to Church St?

Edited by codypet

24 minutes ago, codypet said:

That's Church St.  Station in that photo and the Downtowner was on the corner of Orange, but why can't I picture what that EW and NS intersection is there?  I feel like that's some roadway intersection under the current BOA building or something.  As if that road continued north to where the Old Suntrust building is today.  Is that Boone?  Did it go all the way to Church St?

Yep.

Screenshot-20220511-123712.jpg

I think they built over it when SunTrust went up. 

Those buildings on the south side of Church St weren't part of CSS, though.

CSS was/is west of the RR tracks.

3 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Yep.

Screenshot-20220511-123712.jpg

I think they built over it when SunTrust went up. 

Those buildings on the south side of Church St weren't part of CSS, though.

CSS was/is west of the RR tracks.

I meant the Seaboard Station itself.  Not the 3 buildings along Church St.

32 minutes ago, codypet said:

Boone, as I remember, did go to Church St. I remember approaching First National’s drive in tellers from Orange with my mom as a kid (these were the original ones - they later added some across the street with the CNA building) and exiting on Boone. Also, there was a Renault dealer at one time on that section of Boone (Rehse motors?) as well. At one time, the Southern Bell business office where you picked up your phones (yes, Virginia, the phones used to belong to the phone company) was at Church and Boone.

Edited by spenser1058

This Week, Joy Wallace Dickinson writes more about the endangered historic Sam Robinson house which @JFW657 found a while back:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/os-fe-joy-wallace-dickinson-0515-20220515-croy7ncownhw3k6lyzucfnmklq-story.html

There’s more from The History Center (Join!) here (no paywall!)

https://www.thehistorycenter.org/historic-orlando-house-threatened/

Edited by spenser1058

Ye not forget about Saving The Lancaster House down here in good ol Pine Castle.  The 3rd oldest home in Orange County on record and still livable.  (Probably moving it down the street to the historical society lot). (However, don't let the fake yuppie private school tear it down for a minivan parking lot.) Save the house!

• Like 3

On 5/14/2022 at 10:25 AM, JFW657 said:

This house is an example of lots of money is not an indication of style and class. They've done a terrible job on this place, IMO.