GBT River North, 3 towers of up to 38 stories, 3.7 acres

markhollin

33 minutes ago, colemangaines said:

That's great news! I'm wondering if all the River North development could motivate Top Golf to move somewhere else. That's going to be some valuable land in a few years!

I hear what you're saying but there's no way TopGolf moves.  It's an incredible property for them that draws the visitors to downtown Nashville.  I bet PSC sells before TopGolf does.  LOL.  I am curious about how this new development will address the large amount of light that comes from TopGolf and pointed right in its direction.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

I hear what you're saying but there's no way TopGolf moves.  It's an incredible property for them that draws the visitors to downtown Nashville.  I bet PSC sells before TopGolf does.  LOL.  I am curious about how this new development will address the large amount of light that comes from TopGolf and pointed right in its direction.

I could see an office building going there, would shade any residential building on the other side. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, colemangaines said:

That's great news! I'm wondering if all the River North development could motivate Top Golf to move somewhere else. That's going to be some valuable land in a few years!

Do we believe TopGolf will even move? I agree it is valuable land and a lot of it, but like TheRaglander pointed out, it draws a lot of visitors. IMO, if they can implement it well into RiverNorth and the East Bank neighborhood as a whole, I think it can be a very nice amenity for the neighborhood, for tourists and residents alike.

• Like 1

I just looked it up and the average Topgolf brings in $21.5 million in revenue per year. I'm sure building out River North will boost that number for this location though.

They own around 22.7 acres in the area, so I guess it would need to be a pretty big sum to get them to move - now that I look at the numbers it doesn't seem as plausible as I thought.

That'll look pretty cool though, a driving range lined by high rises. 

• Like 3

Is there another TopGolf in an urban area like this? Most of the ones I have seen / been to are in the middle of nowhere. 

1 minute ago, VSRJ said:

I'm not opposed to the concept of TopGolf, but man-oh-man it is an unflattering mark on the skyline.

I (respectfully) disagree. I think the different levels resemble box suites at a stadium, and the large columns add variety. I imagine tourists (Football, Hockey, Soccer fans) look at that as a great way to kill time during their stay. 

• Like 1

There are urban driving ranges in the middle of cities, adjacent to high rises all over the world. London and Tokyo come to mind. I lived in Japan for several years, and there were quite a few near me, in major, built-up urban environments. It was cool. I don't see the problem..... As @smeagolsfree stated - a diversity of amenities is what truly makes a unique neighborhood/city. Not conformity.

• Like 4

I don't see a problem with it either, I was just curious where Topgolf is on the cost benefit spectrum: more similar to the Jim Reed and Beaman sites that can be moved for the right amount, or worth anchoring down where they are. I think as far as midsized North American cities go, we'd be on a very short list of ones with downtown driving ranges. Another fun accolade to brag about.

I kind of got us off topic anyways, this about potentially get three 30 story towers on the east bank! That's huge!!

Edited by colemangaines
grammar
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Is there another TopGolf in an urban area like this? Most of the ones I have seen / been to are in the middle of nowhere. 

I (respectfully) disagree. I think the different levels resemble box suites at a stadium, and the large columns add variety. I imagine tourists (Football, Hockey, Soccer fans) look at that as a great way to kill time during their stay. 

Las Vegas. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Flatrock said:

As @smeagolsfree stated - a diversity of amenities is what truly makes a unique neighborhood/city. Not conformity.

I do prefer cities (i.e. Washington DC) that have a "museum district" versus cities (New York) that have museums spread throughout the city. That preference is purely from a visitor perspective. I love the idea of attending several museums all in one day and being able to walk and be surrounded by museum visitors too). However, I can understand why city leaders look at museums as economic drivers for certain areas of the city. I believe Nashville is close to having two "districts" ala Bicentennial Park area and Broadway area, which work for tourists for a weekend trip: TN State Museum, Library Archives, and Musicians Hall of Fame as one district, and CMHOF, NMAAM, George Jones Museum, Johnny Cash, etc. for the other district. 

• Like 3

I know the conversation shifted to Top Golf, but back to the idea of three 30 story buildings... considering that current development appears to be mostly mid-rise buildings, I really didn't think anyone would come in with idea of building out River North with towers as the original concept called for.    I expected the tallest proposal for River North to be in the 20 story range quite honestly.  River North could become a smaller version of Century City in the LA area.  Which what Metro Center was supposed to be... a city within a city. 

As for Top Golf, there's no need for them to move.  It's an amenity that both tourist and locals can enjoy without traveling to the suburbs.  When I was in Nashville in 2019 visiting my mom,  I took my brother who was also visiting over there along with my mom and my partner.  We had a nice time doing something different, getting out of the house, etc.  I enjoyed the whole experience.  We stayed a little longer than anticipated because we could see the traffic on I-24 and we were in no rush to get in that mess.

• Like 3

Remember a few years ago, the proposals for a large Ferris Wheel ( London Eye) and Polar Coaster and the indoor drive-in movie theater. They were all on the East Bank, now with the new interest over there is it possible projects like those would materialize? Along with TopGolf , it would create a tourist draw and destination for family entertainment in the core.

• Like 2