Baton Rouge Homicide Rate might be the nation’s worst in 2021

cajun

If things don’t change in a hurry, Baton Rouge could potentially take the poll as the most dangerous city in the country.   The city has broken its all time homicide record already, and it’s still October.  

The city will likely finish out there year with a homicide rate per 100,000 in the mid to upper 60s, which would make it the most dangerous city in the country by 2020 standards.   The only thing that could keep Baton Rouge from this huge, embarrassing distinction is if crime gets substantially worse in St Louis and Baltimore for the remainder of the year.  

Unfortunately this graphic is from June.  The number of homicides have more than doubled since then  in Baton Rouge.  

image.png

Edited by cajun

• cajun changed the title to Baton Rouge Homicide Rate might be the nation’s worst in 2021

Hmm, I guess the student has really surpassed the teacher (New Orleans)? I don't see them on the list.

I don't know what they expect to do though.  In theory people have to make a choice to stop or....

To be conspiratorial, frankly I don't think they want to killing to stop. For one they could stop promoting/producing trashy elements of pop culture that activate people's weaknesses, but that'd stop the cash flow. 

Then of course fear is a control mechanism. If the middle class is scared of the crime element then they'll call on the top echelon for help. Or move somewhere else which further drives the economy (new construction, etc).

Edited by dan326

11 hours ago, dan326 said:

Hmm, I guess the student has really surpassed the teacher (New Orleans)? I don't see them on the list.

I don't know what they expect to do though.  In theory people have to make a choice to stop or....

To be conspiratorial, frankly I don't think they want to killing to stop. For one they could stop promoting/producing trashy elements of pop culture that activate people's weaknesses, but that'd stop the cash flow. 

Then of course fear is a control mechanism. If the middle class is scared of the crime element then they'll call on the top echelon for help. Or move somewhere else which further drives the economy (new construction, etc).

Well said Dan326.  They  call it the Dirty South for a reason.   Check out Greg Dukes mixtapes late Friday at Midnight on local COX Channel #20  Pelican Network.

I lost a buddy to a stray bullet back in 2012 just a few blocks from LSU.

Last year the homicide record was a record breaker ;  it  is being shattered this year.   And you have some elements in the country that want to defund police and make chaos reign.

Doesn't help that fentanyl laced drugs imported from China to the Mexican coast are also rampaging across the city. All the druggies along I-12 interchanged has increased dramatically .  The amount of over dose deaths is eye popping too! 

There was an old "Crime Thread" hidden on back pages ; could have easily been the most active Topic thread here on UP if we really wanted.

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, richyb83 said:

Well said Dan326.  They  call it the Dirty South for a reason.   Check out Greg Dukes mixtapes late Friday at Midnight on local COX Channel #20  Pelican Network.

Last year the homicide record was a record breaker ;  it  is being shattered this year.   And you have some elements in the country that want to defund police and make chaos reign.

Doesn't help that fentanyl laced drugs imported from China to the Mexican coast are also rampaging across the city. All the druggies along I-12 interchanged has increased dramatically .  The amount of over dose deaths is eye popping too! 

There was an old "Crime Thread" hidden on back pages ; could have easily been the most active Topic thread here on UP if we really wanted.

We really need a carrot and a stick to deal with the open drug encampment problem.   Treatment and avenues to get clean must be available and sometimes mandated.   But there has to be severe consequences for shooting up in public - including in an open drug camp on public land.  

And that’s not exclusive to Baton Rouge.   The formula for fixing this is fairly simple.  Politicians just choose to ignore it instead.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, dan326 said:

Additional and more regular police presence in the most violent neighborhoods have proven to be impactful at reducing the homicide rate.  

A lot of cities throughout the country or seeing the Ferguson effect.   There was wide media coverage of massive civil unrest last year leading up to the election (similar to 2016 and 2012).   In districts where cops think they don’t have the support from the mayor, the general public, or local DA….police will intentionally do the bare minimum to avoid controversy or danger.    That includes Baton Rouge, but is certainly not limited to Baton Rouge.   It’s been a major issue in cities all over the US in the past year. 

The nationwide spike in violent crime is not going to matter to Baton Rouge if it’s ranked as the most dangerous city in the country for 2021.  That is a distinction that will be widely known and will take decades to live down.   That has to be avoided at all costs.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cajun said:

Additional and more regular police presence in the most violent neighborhoods have proven to be impactful at reducing the homicide rate.  

A lot of cities throughout the country or seeing the Ferguson effect.   There was wide media coverage of massive civil unrest last year leading up to the election (similar to 2016 and 2012).   In districts where cops think they don’t have the support from the mayor, the general public, or local DA….police will intentionally do the bare minimum to avoid controversy or danger.    That includes Baton Rouge, but is certainly not limited to Baton Rouge.   It’s been a major issue in cities all over the US in the past year. 

The nationwide spike in violent crime is not going to matter to Baton Rouge if it’s ranked as the most dangerous city in the country for 2021.  That is a distinction that will be widely known and will take decades to live down.   That has to be avoided at all costs.  

Oh yeah, so much happens in a year I really forgot about those protests. I have personally heard something similar from law enforcement officers.

12 hours ago, richyb83 said:

Smh, I can imagine.

Yup, I've seen them too. I want to be sympathetic and don't really want to speak against homeless people; but I do wonder if they actually want to do better and if not who's responsibility that is or isn't.

This is a Homicide Record Breaking thread ....but right on cue WAFB talks about Record Breaking Overdose deaths (mostly from fentanyl)  248 so far this year! Crazy!  

East Baton Rouge Parish surpasses record for overdose deaths

https://www.wafb.com/2021/10/27/east-baton-rouge-parish-surpasses-record-overdose-deaths/

And ...Yep this virus is causing more collateral damage than we will ever know.  +  Record breaking Crime  being broke in too many  cities.  San Francisco has a pathetic situation going on...